It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steamtown goes "FOSS".
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:35 pm 

the Air Force Museum doesn't charge admission, shows different kinds of movies,has special events like kite flying, RC plane events....and they added a fourth building last year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:14 pm 

There is a great way to enter all the National Parks for Free for seniors. That is the Golden Eagle Pass; which is good for life.

The regular pass has a fee and is renewable each year. With over 400 National Parks available either pass is a bargain.

As mentioned above it costs about $100 to go to places like Disneyland or Knotts Berry Farm.

Ted Miles, NPS Retired.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:07 pm 

Was there yesterday for the excursion to Carbondale. Loved the convenience of just walking right in the visitor center to use the rest room before the ride!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:51 pm 

"Hands-on interactive experience offered to visitors to actually drive spikes"

I'm pretty sure that somewhere there's Interior Department Solicitor feeling a disturbance in the force or maybe even having a coronary event. I could see them having visions of a visitor running around with a spike maul ala' Jack Nicholson with his ax in "The Shining", another guy swinging it back and letting it fly, or some dude breaking his shin bone after letting 'er rip like he was on the old time county fair strength tester.

In all seriousness, interactive exhibits in general - I think are good idea sand I expect that sort of thing to become more commonplace as the cell phone generation demands haptic feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:31 pm 

Hi,

In the 1960s and 1970s, Mom and Dad would leave the change from the payment for entry into certain parks to support the parks - extra support we thought. We latter learned that this "donation" to the park was actually returned to the USAs general fund and used for anything the Feds wanted to use it for.

I recall the sense of "betrayal" we experienced when we found that out.

I do not know if this is still valid.

A question - What does FOSS stand for?

Thanks.

Doug vV

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:48 pm 

There may be other definitions, but the one I am familiar with is a software term. It is an acronym for Free or Open Source Software. I suppose Free is the main word applying to Steamtown's entrance fee.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:17 pm 

superheater wrote:
"Hands-on interactive experience offered to visitors to actually drive spikes" I'm pretty sure that somewhere there's Interior Department Solicitor feeling a disturbance in the force or maybe even having a coronary event.

I hope they all do, and then we can be more innovative without the paranoia. One thing that hold true for any entertainment event - and we are that - is people want and expect to be affected by their experience. If we avoid the "hands off" and "safe distance, arms length" attitude and drag people in to something that activates all their senses, we will be successful. Keeping it safe is of course necessary but done without too terribly diluting the overall impact. Disturbing the force is our job.

Andrea Hairston

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:22 pm 

The best aspect of STEA is the amount of access to the yard and equipment. The addition of the walkway in the roundhouse greatly enhanced the interactive aspect of the visitor's interpretive experience. It allows visitors to observe equipment preparation and maintenance and to interact with the staff while keeping a safe distance. Unfortunately, it would be difficult to create a similar viewing location in the shop area and so shop access has to be limited to tightly controlled tours.

More of the upfront millions spent on reworking the site should have been spent to create opportunities for visitors to interact and closely but safely observe the actual business of a typical yard/roundhouse/back shop facility. Such interaction, by its nature, will always stay fresh. The money spent on the museum-type displays only took up room that could have been used to safely store more of the collection and created an interpretive medium that constantly requires expensive upgrades to stay relevant as display technology, and the public's expectations of interactivity, evolve.

The money spent on creating a half museum/half historic site would have been better spent if it was used towards the collection and the site to create a more operational industrial historic site. The resulting hybrid continues to muddy the mission at STEA to this day.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:42 pm 

"I hope they all do"

No, no no.. you want them not feeling a disturbance in the force. Lawyers are dangerous when they feel a disturbance in the force.

Think of healthcare attorneys insisting that nurses ensure that dinner tray menu selections are taken to the patient's room face-down because a passerby could get a glimpse of the menu and seeing or inferring that the patient was on a salt-restricted diet, thus disclosing protected health information to an unauthorized party. That was the actual directive given some years ago, and the provided reasoning.

Before you ask, I only wish I was making that up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:56 pm 

Quote:
The money spent on creating a half museum/half historic site would have been better spent if it was used towards the collection and the site to create a more operational industrial historic site. The resulting hybrid continues to muddy the mission at STEA to this day.

This is a most insightful and helpful statement.

When I read this I am inclined to compare STEA to Lowell NP. At Lowell the technology is the focus in a variety of settings: a working water turbine and electric loom mill vs. more traditional static images on display. I came away with a sense of place at Lowell and the impact of the working conditions in the mills as an operational industrial historic site.

Video of Lowell Loom Room

Wesley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:37 pm 

superheater wrote:
"I hope they all do"

No, no no.. you want them not feeling a disturbance in the force. Lawyers are dangerous when they feel a disturbance in the force.

Apologies. I was referring to the cardiac events you mentioned. Might get them out of the way for a while so some good can be created before they return to prevent it.

Andrea Hairston

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:04 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_1986 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1986 (640x480).jpg [ 206.92 KiB | Viewed 126 times ]

Ordinarily I would not bother to post something like this, but in light of recent detractors on this thread and others, I felt compelled to.

On October 14th, I rode the SNHS excursion to Moscow, PA. The highest priced ticket on this trip was $24, and as we know, park admission is now free of charge. Delaware Lackawanna (ex-CNJ) RS-3 #1554 pulled a full consist of five passenger coaches.

The trip was run in an efficient and professional manner, as always, and the ride was free of any lurches or sudden slow downs. Plenty of volunteers were on hand at the Moscow station, and I spent approx $20 there in support of Boston and Maine 3713.

On our return, BLW #26 was on the turntable and there were plenty of visitors milling around. It would be hard to say for sure, but there seemed to be more people making use of the museum space than usual, perhaps a result of the new free admission policy.

While we would all prefer steam on the main, riding behind the vintage RS-3 did not leave me disappointed, especially at the price point of $24 for a 2.5 hour round trip. BLW #26 was on display and pulling yard shuttles, providing on-site interpretation as intended, so no loss there either. In all honesty, and for all of the flack that the park gets on RYPN and elsewhere, SNHS runs a darn good program. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and it was an affordable day out for me.

For those who want to push the "all or nothing" argument and would rather a short-lived circus over a sustainable site experience, what 300+ visitors experienced today was far from nothing. There is always room for improvement, but there are plenty of things being done right, too, that would be a shame to lose.

My two cents.