It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mystery RPO, Williamsport, PA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:22 pm 

The other week I received an inquiry regarding an unidentified RPO that had been in Newberry Yard in Williamsport, PA, for an indeterminate number of years. It had planned to be converted to a visitor center, I believe at the trailhead for a local trail, but this never took place. After that plan was cancelled, the RPO subsequently up and vanished several years ago, with no further info on where it went or what its current status might be, if it's still around.

I did some searching, and I have been unable to find any info regarding the identity of this car, or any photos taken of it while it was in Williamsport.

Any info would be appreciated, and I'll pass it along to the inquiring party.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Mystery RPO, Williamsport, PA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:13 am 

Slight correction: the RPO was planned for use as a visitor center at the entrance to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon Trail, a.k.a. the Pine Creek Rail Trail. The car up and vanished in 2008.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:04 pm 

I have it from someone who is in position to know that there is currently no RPO in Newberry Yard in Williamsport. The car actually used as a visitor's center is one of the former ATSF cabooses converted to a bay window by Penn Central. It is believed that their may have been a privately owned RPO in the area at one time, which may or may not still be in storage on private trackage elsewhere in the general area... I can't confirm if it still exists or not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:37 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Okay, if this is indeed that car, it's former PC/CR 18445, later used on the West Shore excursion operation, and now at Jersey Shore, Pa. as that Pine Creek Trail visitors center. More info on these ex-Santa Fe oddballs here:

http://www.hebners.net/CR/crN5K.html

I've been holding off on answering because I'm waiting for someone who should know better to get back to me. Rest assured that if an ex-PRR RPO was "going to waste" in central Pa., a certain private collector/operator of passenger cars in that area would have seen to it that it was not scrapped. But I've not been able to confirm that he, or another operation, ever actually got it. In fact, I can't even confirm an RPO ever got into Williamsport since, say, Conrail started junking their old camp cars.......