It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Update on ORHS Fleet
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:39 pm 

For those of you that keep track of this stuff, Ted's threads on surviving passenger cars reminded me to post updates on the disposition of Orrville Railroad Heritage Society cars since we're no longer in the excursion business:

RPCX 101 - Sold 2017 to Dennison Railroad Depot Museum for excursion use.
RPCX 102 - Sold 2017 to Dennison Railroad Depot Museum for excursion use.
RPCX 103 - Sold 2015 to Florida Rail Road Museum for excursion use. Renumbered 3155.
RPCX 104 - Sold 2015 to Florida Rail Road Museum. Current status unknown.
RPCX 105 - Sold 2017 to Dennison Railroad Depot Museum for possible conversion to a power car.
RPCX 106 - Sold 2015 to Florida Rail Road Museum for excursion use. Renumbered 6203.
RPCX 3850 - Sold 2017 to Dennison Railroad Depot Museum for excursion use.

The ex-Amtrak #8008/SCL #5908/ACL "Baltimore" is still with ORHS. We may restore it for our own use but possible sale is not out of the question. We'll keep you posted on that one....

Post subject: Re: Update on ORHS Fleet
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:05 pm 

What is the ORHS's new mission now?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:43 pm 

The main focus will return full force to the 1868 Orrville Union Depot museum, its history and significance of the railroads to the city. It's a tough transition for the organization as the excursions generated a more than fair amount of the income for 20 years.

Our other focus is the DABO property. We're hanging on to that with the hopes of eventually being able to generate some income with it. We're considering various scenarios, none set in stone yet. We're working on the utilities - new, upgraded electrical service was recently installed. Next is water, air and then track work. Track still needs a lot of work. I cross my fingers every time we have to move the big wreckers around. It's a huge project and a long row to hoe with our small mechanical crew but we'll keep our noses to the grindstone and eventually get it done.

We're also keeping some miscellaneous equipment that came with the DABO property, most notable is the ex-B&O X216 250T diesel wrecker we've recently gotten running. We can make up a demonstration wreck train consist right now though it wouldn't be very pretty.

We'll also have more stuff for sale via our website soon to clear out more space and help fund the maintenance. I'll post that link in the Classifieds when it's up and running.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:24 am 

Eric,

There is a need for rentable siding space for private locomotive and car owners. That may be an option for producing additional revenue since the DABO property has a few long tracks and room for more.

I am happy to see a refocusing of efforts on the depot museum property. In all the times that I have been to Orrville I have never seen that building open.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:41 am 

Rick Rowlands wrote:
Eric,

There is a need for rentable siding space for private locomotive and car owners. That may be an option for producing additional revenue since the DABO property has a few long tracks and room for more.

Be careful if you do this because you may create a situation where you create taxable unrelated business income (UBI) that has to be reported on IRS form 990T and if there is too much UBI, you run the risk of failing IRS's public support test and could lose your 501c3 tax exempt status.

Bob H

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:03 pm 

Rick -
Private car storage is one of the scenarios on the table. Hence the major upgrade to the electrical service for just in case we do that.

Bob -
DABO, Inc. still exists as as a separate, for-profit company. Concerning ORHS non-profit status, we're real careful in that regard.