It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The AGE of STEAM ROUNDHOUSE
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:29 am 

misterwandle wrote:
We are rebuilding two steam locomotives in the back shop right now.

Which locomotives are you rebuilding?

Last edited by Trainkid456 on Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:29 pm 

According to the AoS web page, M&NF #12 and LS&I #33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:14 pm 

Still on my bucket list to visit. Not sure if this would be considered part of this AOS thread or I should start new thread? Googled LS&I #33 and got nothing recent on her or her repairs. AOS web site has nothing new that I could find. Remembering back to her earlier restoration in mid 2004-5? I knew she had some large side/wrapper sheet replacements and no doubt more than I can recall. Also remember hearing that she needed much more than originally planned on but that was maybe deferred until later? Guess my questions are on how extensive are the repairs on the #33 going to be? Or is there any former threads about the on going and upcoming repairs? Would think her 1472 time is nearing the end in a couple of years? Not trying to stick my nose in to the AOS business by any stretch. I just had a fascination for the #33 and had wanted to see her run more back in the OC days.

What a place to visit and work at. If anybody from AOS or anyone in the know I would appreciate any update that wouldn't be intrusive to the AOS operation. If privacy is paramount I can live with and understand that too.

Regards, John.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:43 am 

In another thread somebody stumbled on Sanfilippo Place de la Musique, which is the incredible mansion/museum home of Jasper Sanfilippo. And in seeing videos of it on youtube, you can't help but wonder why would one collect that much stuff and then meticulously restore it to perfection. It is beyond amazing. There must be a full time staff that does nothing but acquire and restore stuff. And Sanfilippo is a big time steam fan, with his own steam engine and private railroad on his 100 acre estate. He also has over 100 stationary steam engines.

In reading/learning about Jasper Sanfilippo and the incredible collections he has acquired it started making more sense on what JJJ did with Age of Steam. I'm wondering if maybe JJJ and Sanfilippo knew each other? I happened to look on http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/ when I noticed a mention that apparently parts of Age of Steam are a 501(c)(3) non-profit foundation and museum. Is that something new? When did parts of it become a non-profit? And wasn't one of the complaints, it's not a museum. Apparently parts of it now are. And there are plans for an actual museum building.

--Blueprints allow for the roundhouse to be expanded with eight additional stalls in the future, and a museum – constructed in the same architectural style as the roundhouse for visual continuity – is planned right next door.--

Is this new news? If you read all the links under about on the website, it makes perfect sense what Age of Steam is about and what the plans for it are. Was the website recently updated and now they have released their plans for the future?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:25 am 

Looking back on page one, I see somebody already mentioned Sanfilippo Place de la Musique. So did JJJ and Jasper Sanfilippo know each other?

And looking at something I myself wrote back in Oct, the website has been updated. So are parts of Age of Steam now a 501(c)3? Anybody know more about that? There are now stated plans for a museum building.