It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: DLW 746 Boiler Damage: EL Mail List Pic from 1919
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:53 pm 

NYCRRson wrote:
My understanding is that any "train" accident on a common carrier that resulted in fatalities required an ICC investigation.

Maybe the rules regarding ICC investigations of railroad boiler explosions changed between 1920 and 1940 ?

I agree. I have seen several older news articles during this period (1890s to 1930s) regarding oversight in safety issues like boiler safety. As in many things, it appears that there was a period where the unions fought a political battle to have more regulation of locomotive boilers and the railroads lobbied in resistance. It started with enhanced inspection regimens and increasing the number of state boiler inspectors. As in many things, it is likely that at some point the federal government used the commerce clause to justify taking over the regulation of locomotive boilers from the states. Until that time, locomotive boiler accidents were treated just like any other industrial boiler accident, of which there were many. Maybe an expert in boiler regulation history could provide some clarity here.

Scranton Yard ... "making a run st[sic] the title of most irrelevant keyboard warrior on RYPN" - RobertJohnDavis

Post subject: Re: DLW 746 Boiler Damage: EL Mail List Pic from 1919
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:09 pm 

I have an extensive collection of ICC accident reports. Not sure of the exact number, but it's north of 100.

The majority of them relate to collisions, derailments, and the like, and have a heading as follows:
IN THE MATTER OF MAKING ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION REPORTS
UNDER THE ACCIDENT REPORTS ACT OF MAY 6, 1910.

There are a few, in my collection (less than 10) that relate to various locomotive problems, including mechanical failures and boiler explosions. These have the heading
IN THE MATTER OF MAKING ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION
REPORTS, UNDER THE LOCOMOTIVE INSPECTION ACT
OF FEBRUARY 17, 1911, AS AMENDED

(Perhaps someone could research these Acts, in order to determine precisely when the ICC began taking active interest in boiler explosions)

The locomotive-related ones are almost entirely from the 1940s. There are three boiler explosions. All were caused by low water, and each caused three fatalities in the cab:
NYC&STL March 31, 1942 Red Key, Indiana (C&O loco 2314 in NKP service)
B&O March 2, 1943 Woodstock, Md (loco 4621)
UP December 20, 1948 Upland KS (loco 9018)

JR