It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GE 23 tom fuel tank
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:20 pm 

Right now we are trying to run with the fuel pickup in a 5 gal can. The engine has sat for many years and I do not trust the fuel in the tank.
I need to know the location of the fuel tank, where the filler is, and where the fuel drain is.
Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: GE 23 tom fuel tank
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:15 am 

The tank is on the bottom, the drain is on the bottom, and the filler is through the deck plate ahead of the radiator, usually....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:52 pm 

If she was built the same as our 25 tonner, the filler is under a metal flap in the deck, front right corner (in front of the engineer, next to the bell). If you open the underbody access door in that same corner (engineer side of body, below deck, in front of wheels) you will see the tank right there, IIRC from the door you can see the tank drain welded into the side of the tank down low, I don't think it was underneath.

Attachment:
25T_1.jpg
25T_1.jpg [ 271.37 KiB | Viewed 3041 times ]

One thing to check, if not replace, is the suction tube, due to the bumping and vibration, as the tube is only secured where it passes through the tank wall, over time the tube develops stress cracks just below the fitting within the tank and will start to pull air instead of diesel, thus making her run lean, if at all. If you have to refill the fuel filter or reprime her after she has sat for a few hours, and you don't see any leaks under the hood, this is the most likely reason.

Take care,
Rich C.
Ct Eastern RR Museum
Willimantic, Ct

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:10 pm 

You might want to consider flushing and coating the inside of the fuel tank as part of the maintenance. I second the idea of checking and reinforcing the suction pickup.

I don't think the tank can be taken out for 'boiling', so you'll have to use solvent to finish cleaning dirt and sediment out of the tank, then do repeated pressure washing through the filler and drain to ensure all the crap is out. I'd use a lighted borescope to see the interior condition as you proceed.

A number of companies make a suitable coating for the inside of these tanks; they may recommend that you spray an etchant and then thoroughly passivate and then rinse before the coating goes on. In tanks that can't be rotated to 'tumble' the coating onto all the interior surfaces (think how a chocolate Easter bunny is made) you may have to spray the areas you can reach, then pour material into the tank and inflate a suitable bladder inside the tank slowly with compressed air to be sure a suitably thick liquid coating reaches all the interior structure and seams.

Do this right once and you shouldn't have to do it again.