It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Southern Pacific 4460 Restoration
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:25 pm 

Frisco1522 wrote:
I don't think the Museum of Transportation is interested in any steam restoration other than cosmetically. Their resources are slim, the whole environment there has changed since St Louis Country is passing it along to the Transport Museum Association and they have other plans for their money.
For other views, read the above post by Rick Rowlands. Pretty well covers it.

Lets cut the new poster some slack guys, you are probably right, but no need to run him off at the first suggestion. Sure he needs a reality check, but isn't that the way all of us were when we started this hobby of ours. I did a similar thing years ago out at OERM when I pointed out to the VP of plant that the bathroom needed a new roof. He responded, "when do you want to get started on it?" I replied that I could get going on it in two weeks, and I finished it in a weekend (113 degrees in Perris) , old Pete later said I could have knocked him over with a feather he was so shocked that someone actually followed through.

Instead, perhaps we can suggest he work with a team restoring locomotives getting hands on experience for himself about how much work and money goes into these beasts. The oldtimers who have been at this for years wonder why there aren't many young people coming out to help. Well we need to be honest with ourselves sometimes and ask if we are providing an environment that new folks can make mistakes and not handed their heads. There just isn't many younger folks interested in trains now, so we need to be careful about how we treat new volunteers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:45 pm 

I do not speak for the Museum of Transportation (to any extent), but I did volunteer there for a while.

I can honestly say that, from what I have gathered over my time volunteering there, they have no real urge to restore any of their steam locomotives to operational status. It's enough of a challenge just to maintain/touch-up the appearance of the steam locomotives they have, as well as cosmetically touching-up/maintaining the other locomotives & rolling stock in their collection. When I was a volunteer there, there wasn't a lot of "new blood" getting mixed in. That might have changed in the last year or so, but there hasn't been a lot of "young blood" volunteering there (that I've seen). The fact that we've been able to cosmetically restore the locomotives we have in the last few years (like Black Diamond, Wabash 573, & NYC 2933) is a blessing, and I am honored I was able to help in those restorations. Still, as far as I can see, cosmetic restorations are, more than likely, going to be all that we'll get (which isn't a bad thing).

Don't get me wrong. I always wish there were more steam locomotives running, but we do have to be realistic.

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:17 pm 

Providing good information IS doing these guys a favor. It saves a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth, among other things. Frustration when faced with reality is best done quickly.

I'd certainly encourage interested people to just get involved at any level, keep ears and eyes open, mouths shut until you know enough to know a bit of what you don't know, then start asking intelligent questions. This is creating credibility which will open the door to this little universe.