It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Long Island Railroad P72 coach wiring diagram
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:00 pm 

I'm looking for a LIRR P72 coach wiring diagram from the 70's and 80's era. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Long Island Railroad P72 coach wiring diagram
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:41 am 

The P72's apparently were extensively modified over the course of their use and by subsequent owners. Perhaps someone can chime in on this. It would be good to have the original car number and later uses to be able to help. The Pullman orders started at 1952 - 1954.
The car wiring diagrams as originally built would be available at IRM's Pullman Library. The library now has Pullman specifications, drawing lists and drawings through end of production, copies of which can licensed for educational use only by car restorers, modelers and historians under Bombardier license who have title; the library is the repository. There will be a number of drawings for door operators, underbody wiring, interior wiring, bell circuit if available, and some extra controls for instance climate control. There may also be control cabinet layouts, conduit diagrams, and schematics. Some of these would assist to identify any existing original wiring. A copy of the spec and drawing list, available at $0.35 / page or $30 minimum would be the starting point.
If interested, please make contact to the library directly at <pullmanlibrary@irm.org>.
Sincerely, Ted Anderson IRM volunteer

P. O. Box 427
Union, IL 60180

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:05 pm 

Well the car number is 2841, but as I said I am looking for diagrams from the 70's / 80's era. Original wiring diagrams probably would be of no use. Thanks anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:11 pm 

Yep, I think of the 3 P72 coaches I've seen all 3 were wired differently. Makes things difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:13 pm 

Understand, some of the coaches were straight Pullman standards, hauled behind a steam or Diesel locomotive. When the Push-Pull trains were introduced, with an ALCO C420 on one end and an ALCO FA on the other, the coaches were rebuilt MU cars. That may be part of the confusion.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:51 am 

More on Long Island P72 style passenger car No. 2841, the information c/o Bob Webber's database on Pullman passenger cars.
There were three orders placed by the Long Island Railroad with Pullman-Standard in 1955, Lot W-6973 for 55 steam coaches Nos. 2926 - 2980; Lot W-6974 for 32 M.U. motorized trailer coaches Nos. 2643 - 2674; and Lot W-6975 for 8 M.U. trailer cars Nos. 2837 -2844. All were constructed to the common floor plan and general drawing W-52607. The W stands for a Worcester Pullman car, explaining the 50000-series drawing number, the 5 representing the larger size drawing. Some Worcester MA cars used the smaller drawing size for the General Drawing in the 4000 series (below 4999), later the 40000 series (above 4999), likewise the larger drawings done for the 5000's, later drawings to the 50000's.
Of the electrical drawings the conduit diagram would be the only useful drawings if the cars were extensively rewired, new wiring run in existing conduit plus additional and replacement conduit as needed. Most likely the control centers would have been replaced unless it is obvious that some old systems were retained. Things like door operators might be original, if they were special purpose construction. I had designed numerous special purpose control systems in the past but as you can tell by my discussion, I have no experience when it comes to a rail car's electrical systems other than to look at it and say, "Oh ya". Leave it at that.
Sincerely, Ted Anderson

P. O. Box 427
Union, IL 60180

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:58 am 

Suggestion from LIRR Board on another site:

The Newberry Library in Chicago has a vast archive of Pullman documents. Since Pullman built these cars for LIRR, they may have such a document in their collection.

http://www.newberry.org

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:12 pm 

The Newberry does not have any data from the car building end of the business, which was a separate entity at the end. What the Newberry does have is documentation of rebuilding programs Pullman did to their own sleepers in their shops, but that's not going to apply to these Long Island cars.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:19 pm 

Perhaps the Barringer Library in St. Louis?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:10 pm 

Perhaps the Pullman Library at IRM... but Ted has already weighed in and said they only have the as-built drawings.