It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Chesterton, IN enhances Railroad Park
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:55 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:31 am
Posts: 112
Location: Northern Illinois
Thomas Centennial Park (formerly "Railroad Park") in Chesterton, IN is being enhanced with new restrooms and a warming/cooling house made from a boxcar and caboose, respectively. The boxcar, described as a 50-foot bunkerless refrigerator car built in 1962, was imported from Orrville, OH and has been painted in Monon colors. The caboose, of unspecified origin, has been painted bright red with NS markings (photos attached).

They used crowdfunding for the project, via patronicity.com. Link to the project page is here: https://www.patronicity.com/project/thomas_centennial_park_restrooms#!/

For those curious, the ex-South Shore Line cars (17, 26, 100 and 104) remain at the site opposite Thomas Park, across the NS mainline. Over time, they've lost their CSS&SB paint and pantographs, as the attached photo shows.


Attachments:
File comment: 28-aug-2018 50-ft. plug door boxcar Chesterton, IN
Thomas Park Boxcar.jpg
Thomas Park Boxcar.jpg [ 252.06 KiB | Viewed 1884 times ]
File comment: 28-aug-2018 Thomas Park Caboose Chesterton, IN
Thomas Park Caboose.jpg
Thomas Park Caboose.jpg [ 279.27 KiB | Viewed 1884 times ]
File comment: 28-aug-2018 ex-CSS&SB car Chesterton, IN
Chesterton CSSB Car.jpg
Chesterton CSSB Car.jpg [ 267.3 KiB | Viewed 1884 times ]
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chesterton, IN enhances Railroad Park
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:20 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:54 am
Posts: 363
Location: Orrville, OH
For those that may keep track if these type of things, the reefer is ex-D&RGW #60608. We still have some of the DF loader beams and jacks from this car if anyone has an interest.

_________________
Eric Schlentner
ORHS Car Knocker & Gandy Dancer
http://www.orrvillerailroad.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chesterton, IN enhances Railroad Park
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:17 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:31 am
Posts: 112
Location: Northern Illinois
jayrod wrote:
For those that may keep track if these type of things, the reefer is ex-D&RGW #60608.


Thanks for filling in that detail. The east truck, an ASF Ride Control, had "D&RGW" cast into the sideframe, which made me wonder. The west truck is a Barber S-2 with no road identification.


Attachments:
File comment: ASF Ride Control truck under "Monon" boxcar
ASF Truck under boxcar.jpg
ASF Truck under boxcar.jpg [ 32.73 KiB | Viewed 1689 times ]
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chesterton, IN enhances Railroad Park
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:44 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:54 am
Posts: 363
Location: Orrville, OH
The S2 came from B&O #474725 which made figuring out the car's heritage a little difficult. Our assumption is that Art Davis swapped out that truck from the B&O car that may have been scrapped at DABO.

_________________
Eric Schlentner
ORHS Car Knocker & Gandy Dancer
http://www.orrvillerailroad.com


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chesterton, IN enhances Railroad Park
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:40 am 

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:26 pm
Posts: 167
Location: Pure Michigan
Is that an old South Shore caboose?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chesterton, IN enhances Railroad Park
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:29 pm 

Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:22 pm
Posts: 48
Location: Northwest Indiana
Is that a correct paint scheme for a Monon box car?



Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chesterton, IN enhances Railroad Park
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:25 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:50 pm
Posts: 2323
Location: Northern Illinois
Steve A W wrote:
Is that a correct paint scheme for a Monon box car?



Fantasy scheme... But it looks nice. Keep in mind, this isn't a museum, and it's not a Monon car.

_________________
Dennis Storzek


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chesterton, IN enhances Railroad Park
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:04 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 5360
NS 3322 wrote:
Is that an old South Shore caboose?


NS3322 -

Not sure for certain, however in Peter Nicholson's initial entry for this thread, he mentions a Link to the placement of the box car and caboose. In that link are some interior photos of the placed caboose, a couple of which show a number over the door; 006. This is one of the numbers given to the 8 ex-AT&SF cabooses that the South Shore purchased a number of years ago. The Santa Fe numbers of the cars were: 999008; 999024; 999061; 999096; 999149; 999196; 999257 and 999486. Not sure if the South Shore renumbered them in order.

Also in that Link that Peter mentioned are a couple of proposed drawings of the caboose and boxcar and how they would look in Chesterton. Those drawings show a caboose lettered for the Rio Grande (!) and the box car lettered for the ORIGINAL Norfolk Southern (!!). Sure would have been neat if those particular paint schemes had actually been put on those two pieces of equipment! Not sure if any equipment exists in preservation that is lettered for the original NS. The choice of using the Monon for the boxcar is a bit surprising in itself since the old Monon never serviced Chesterton.


Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chesterton, IN enhances Railroad Park
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:03 pm 

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:26 pm
Posts: 167
Location: Pure Michigan
Les Beckman wrote:
NS 3322 wrote:
Is that an old South Shore caboose?


NS3322 -

Not sure for certain, however in Peter Nicholson's initial entry for this thread, he mentions a Link to the placement of the box car and caboose. In that link are some interior photos of the placed caboose, a couple of which show a number over the door; 006. This is one of the numbers given to the 8 ex-AT&SF cabooses that the South Shore purchased a number of years ago. The Santa Fe numbers of the cars were: 999008; 999024; 999061; 999096; 999149; 999196; 999257 and 999486. Not sure if the South Shore renumbered them in order.

Also in that Link that Peter mentioned are a couple of proposed drawings of the caboose and boxcar and how they would look in Chesterton. Those drawings show a caboose lettered for the Rio Grande (!) and the box car lettered for the ORIGINAL Norfolk Southern (!!). Sure would have been neat if those particular paint schemes had actually been put on those two pieces of equipment! Not sure if any equipment exists in preservation that is lettered for the original NS. The choice of using the Monon for the boxcar is a bit surprising in itself since the old Monon never serviced Chesterton.


Les


Thanks Les for providing those details!
In the RR Picture Archives profile for this caboose it states #006 or #6 is "alternate numbering for CSS 10006, ex-ATSF."
I am going to assume for now that the caboose is ex-CSS.
This is how the caboose looked in 2016:
Image

Glad to see it has been "preserved."
There is another South Shore caboose in Chesterton (CSS 10004) at Riley's Railhouse.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chesterton, IN enhances Railroad Park
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:34 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:31 am
Posts: 112
Location: Northern Illinois
Les Beckman wrote:
The choice of using the Monon for the boxcar is a bit surprising in itself since the old Monon never serviced Chesterton.


True, though they did serve nearby Michigan City. The colors, similar to the scheme used on the Monon's freight diesels, are those of Purdue University in West Lafayette (gold and black); the Monon's passenger diesels wore the red and white of Indiana University in Bloomington (and you'll notice red and white were the colors selected by Chesterton for the AT&SF/SSL caboose).

Thanks to all who replied to my initial posting; I hoped it would elicit the history of the two cars, and it did. I'll take some project completion photos next time I'm in NW Indiana.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chesterton, IN enhances Railroad Park
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:53 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 5360
From the photo of CSS # 006 submitted by NS 3322, its obvious that whoever restored the caboose did an excellent job.

In addition to the second CSS/AT&SF caboose in Chesterton (at the nearby Riley's Railhouse) there is a third CSS/AT&SF caboose in Springville, Indiana which is just north of La Porte, located off of U.S. 20 and a bit west of Indiana state route 39. This one was restored as Santa Fe # 999061, with just a bit of additional advertising info:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4541030

I believe that at least one of the original 8 cabooses purchased by South Shore Freight, is still owned by the railroad.

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chesterton, IN enhances Railroad Park
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:15 pm 

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:26 pm
Posts: 167
Location: Pure Michigan
Les Beckman wrote:
From the photo of CSS # 006 submitted by NS 3322, its obvious that whoever restored the caboose did an excellent job.

In addition to the second CSS/AT&SF caboose in Chesterton (at the nearby Riley's Railhouse) there is a third CSS/AT&SF caboose in Springville, Indiana which is just north of La Porte, located off of U.S. 20 and a bit west of Indiana state route 39. This one was restored as Santa Fe # 999061, with just a bit of additional advertising info:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4541030

I believe that at least one of the original 8 cabooses purchased by South Shore Freight, is still owned by the railroad.

Les


Haha, my photo again. Forgot about the caboose in Springville...
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the "Wabash" caboose on the Black River & Western Railroad is also a former CSS caboose, #999096/#10003.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rspict ... ?id=568418
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rspict ... ?id=145615


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chesterton, IN enhances Railroad Park
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:20 pm 

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm
Posts: 5360
Peter Nicholson wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:
The choice of using the Monon for the boxcar is a bit surprising in itself since the old Monon never serviced Chesterton.


True, though they did serve nearby Michigan City. The colors, similar to the scheme used on the Monon's freight diesels, are those of Purdue University in West Lafayette (gold and black); the Monon's passenger diesels wore the red and white of Indiana University in Bloomington (and you'll notice red and white were the colors selected by Chesterton for the AT&SF/SSL caboose).

Thanks to all who replied to my initial posting; I hoped it would elicit the history of the two cars, and it did. I'll take some project completion photos next time I'm in NW Indiana.


Peter -

I guess the Purdue (black and gold) and Indiana University (red and white) makes as much sense as anything. I notice that there is a number (or...?) up between the cupola windows on the caboose there in Chesterton. My computer screen isn't big enough for me to see the number. The next time you are up in NW Indiana to take some additional photos of the project, perhaps you can get a better shot of that number.

Les


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chesterton, IN enhances Railroad Park
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:32 pm 

Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:26 pm
Posts: 167
Location: Pure Michigan
Les Beckman wrote:
Peter Nicholson wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:
The choice of using the Monon for the boxcar is a bit surprising in itself since the old Monon never serviced Chesterton.


True, though they did serve nearby Michigan City. The colors, similar to the scheme used on the Monon's freight diesels, are those of Purdue University in West Lafayette (gold and black); the Monon's passenger diesels wore the red and white of Indiana University in Bloomington (and you'll notice red and white were the colors selected by Chesterton for the AT&SF/SSL caboose).

Thanks to all who replied to my initial posting; I hoped it would elicit the history of the two cars, and it did. I'll take some project completion photos next time I'm in NW Indiana.


Peter -

I guess the Purdue (black and gold) and Indiana University (red and white) makes as much sense as anything. I notice that there is a number (or...?) up between the cupola windows on the caboose there in Chesterton. My computer screen isn't big enough for me to see the number. The next time you are up in NW Indiana to take some additional photos of the project, perhaps you can get a better shot of that number.

Les


It just says "06-2018" on both sides of the cupola.


Last edited by NS 3322 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Chesterton, IN enhances Railroad Park
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:29 am 

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:05 pm
Posts: 34
Peter Nicholson wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:
The choice of using the Monon for the boxcar is a bit surprising in itself since the old Monon never serviced Chesterton.


True, though they did serve nearby Michigan City.


About 9 miles east of Chesterton is Otis, IN where the Monon's Michigan City branch used to cross Norfolk Southern's ex-NYC Chicago Line. Here is a link to the Monon Historical Society's webpage on Otis:

http://www.monon.monon.org/bygone/otis.html

I can see where the Monon box car and "NS" caboose in Chesterton is sort of stretching the point but as noted earlier this is not a true museum display. Both pieces of equipment look nice and hopefully will entice train watchers to visit the area.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 67 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: