It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Red Clay Valley Railway Equipment & Leasing?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:32 pm 

Quote:
Actually, Historic Red Clay Valley, Inc. did not own the Pacifics. They were sold to Red Clay Valley Railway Equipment & Leasing, which was a completely separate company. The similar names have been causing confusion for 50 years now (as several people pointed out would happen when RCVRE&L was formed)

Can someone expand on the history of RCVRE&L and its relationship (or not) with Historic Red Clay Valley, Inc.?

Thanks!

Wesley

Post subject: Re: Red Clay Valley Railway Equipment & Leasing?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:07 am 

Red Clay Valley Railway Equipment & Leasing was started around 1967 by four individuals who were volunteers at the Wilmington & Western Railroad. W&W was (and still is) the major activity of the non-profit Historic Red Clay Valley, Inc. My understanding of the purpose of RCVRE&L was to operate mainline steam fantrips and, using the money generated by the trips, establish a railroad museum at some unspecified location along the Landenburg Branch of the B&O RR (which was also used by the W&W to operate a steam tourist train). AFAIK the only RCVRE&L equipment that was ever at the W&W was a B&O caboose and a PRR air brake instruction car. I don't know whether they were leased, rented or what the arrangement was. RCVRE&L also chartered at least one special train on the W&W in 1967. I think that's about the extent of the connection between the two outfits.

RCVRE&L operated some mainline steam trips (on PRR and WM?) 1968-1969? and then became inactive. Some years later the equipment was disposed of and the corporation was dissolved.

The PRR Instruction Car eventually went to the Railroad Museum of PA, where it has been restored and put on display. The B&O caboose is still in use at the W&W.

Someone else may have better information, but that's my recollection. Hope this helps.

Tim Cronin