It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gollmar pneumatic ringer tech manual?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:11 pm 

Anyone have technical documents or drawings which might apply to this US Metallic Packing Co., Gollmar..pneumatic bell ringer? A PDF would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

PM me.

Attachments:
File comment: 470 pneumo ringer
470 Bell 008B.jpg
470 Bell 008B.jpg [ 94 KiB | Viewed 5618 times ]
File comment: 470 pneumatic ringer
IMG_0480B.jpeg
IMG_0480B.jpeg [ 74 KiB | Viewed 5618 times ]

Post subject: Re: Gollmar pneumatic ringer tech manual?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:45 pm 

This may help: https://books.google.com/books?id=-HcWA ... er&f=false
or this: https://books.google.com/books?id=LP5IA ... er&f=false

or this: https://books.google.com/books?id=bbE5A ... er&f=false

mld

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:02 pm 

Information from 2014
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36562

Link to patent data including drawings
https://www.google.com/patents/US970703

if looking for additional info look at bottom of patent data for "other" reference patents

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:20 pm 

Has anyone ever seen installation/setup literature for these bell swingers?
Deteriming the length of the pushrod and angle of the pusher bell crank in relation to the bell yoke?
The Gollmar patent drawings all seem earlier than the one on MEC 470.
Haven't figured out what the two pair of slots are for in the housing of the pushrod.
The slots are not very long. If they are for pins or screws to prevent the push rod from departing the housing they wouldn't allow much adjustment with the bolt at the top. Was the idea to fit the pushrod length and get it adjusted for proper operation then drill a hole in the push rod thru these slots? Were they to also allow oiling?

Bob D.

Attachments:
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg [ 53.35 KiB | Viewed 5494 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:38 pm 

All your responses are welcomed. You probably know, Bob D. and I are talking about the same project. Bring it on, because the more we share as a community, the mor we all benefit. Restoration is not an isolated event.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:26 am 

Bob D. wrote:
Has anyone ever seen installation/setup literature for these bell swingers?
Deteriming the length of the pushrod and angle of the pusher bell crank in relation to the bell yoke?
The Gollmar patent drawings all seem earlier than the one on MEC 470.
Haven't figured out what the two pair of slots are for in the housing of the pushrod.
The slots are not very long. If they are for pins or screws to prevent the push rod from departing the housing they wouldn't allow much adjustment with the bolt at the top. Was the idea to fit the pushrod length and get it adjusted for proper operation then drill a hole in the push rod thru these slots? Were they to also allow oiling?

Bob D.

For the location of the crankpin, its center is to be 1/2" out of line from a straight line between the bell trunnion and the wrist "sphere" (not pin) of the ringer. As to which side of dead center, make it so the ringer is trying to swing the bell in the same direction as the pull rope from the cab so they work together when trying to start the bell.

The slots in the rod casting shown are simply oil holes.

The length of the push rod isn't too critical with all of the adjustment available in the set screw on the end of the rod casting.

In my experience, these ringers need seasonal adjustment depending on temperature. Screw the set screw down a turn or so in the fall, and back it off in the spring as the oil gets thinner. If backed off too far, the bell won't ring, if screwed down too far, the bell goes full revolutions and doesn't ring much as the clapper is just going along for the ride. A stop can be put across the top of the bell to prevent that, but the bell hitting the stop puts a hell of a shock on the studs holding the bell to the boiler.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:47 pm 

Thanks for the info Kelly.
The big problem I'm having right now is getting the cylinder apart. Being a blind assembly I can't get any force working in my favor. At this point it is pretty full of penetrating oil that seeped in thru the intake port. I'm going to try plumbing a grease gun to it and see if it will hydraulically jack apart.

Bob D.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:44 am 

Bob D. wrote:
Thanks for the info Kelly.
The big problem I'm having right now is getting the cylinder apart. Being a blind assembly I can't get any force working in my favor. At this point it is pretty full of penetrating oil that seeped in thru the intake port. I'm going to try plumbing a grease gun to it and see if it will hydraulically jack apart.

Bob D.

You might drill through the bottom of the cylinder so you can insert a bar against the piston to press it out. The hole can then be tapped and a pipe plug installed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:44 pm 

If you have the time, just soak it in Kroil. I had a helluva time getting 1522's apart originally. Cleaned it up, honed the bore made new rings and pronounced it done. worked great most of the time, but would have fussy periods. We tried regulating air and I finally put a sanding valve in the cab. Always worked well on the first detent, but sometimes you'd have to up the ante for a few seconds. I've seen bulletins that the Frisco roundhouse foreman posted about them. You just have to talk to it nicely.