It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Transformation in Chama
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:18 pm 

Just saw this on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1

I'll bet the excursion on Monday will be something.

I wish I was there.

Post subject: Re: A Transformation in Chama (Steam locomotive 315 to 425)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:15 am 

Thanks for bringing this topic up here. To help guide your future posts, you might consider providing the RYPN reader some idea what the topic is about when posting a link, whether to FB, a newspaper, or some museum's website. The topic line might also be informative to the nature of the topic, which was pretty close in this case.

What this post is about is an effort to backdate D&RGW 315 to D&RG 425, a numbering and appearance that reflected the time after the engine was acquired from the Florence and Cripple Creek. This engine is owned by the Durango Railroad Historical Society, and it has been having an extended visit to the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad - the longest (and most historically intact) remaining segment of the Rio Grande narrow gauge system.

There are many interesting restoration projects in the narrow gauges that never get discussed on RYPN, in part because they are pretty well presented on the similar Narrow Gauge Discussion Forum:
http://ngdiscussion.net
An interesting discussion about making a faux wooden pilot for the "425" is presented here:
http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,356464
More info about the 315 is found here:
http://www.drhs315.org/blog/drgw-315/

Thanks again. Temporary backdating is an interesting topic in railway preservation.

Post subject: Re: A Transformation in Chama
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:56 pm 

The Monday trip is starting from Antonito, so today (Saturday) the equipment is being moved there from Chama. The train is being used as a "thank you" trip for the various people who have helped make this possible.

This post on the NGDF provides a link to photos on the Friends of C&TS discussion board:
1st official historic passenger train on the C&T

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:52 pm 

In addition to this being steam, I'm impressed with the cars they put together. Everything we do should look this good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:48 pm 

But it can not be historic it is not pulled by a k-28. We all know that k-28 were the only passenger power. Just look at the discussion of the great locomotive swap.

Robby Peartree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:51 pm 

The concept is to run a fund raising trip for the 168 restoration project. The train is to look like a train used on the line to Santa Fe in the early 1920s.

The Monday trip limited to the capacity of the restored coach.

Before the arrival of the K's to the San Juan extension the Alamosa to Durango passenger trains were pulled by the T-12 class like the 168. The overall project is to restore the locomotive and a train set to replicate the early era of passenger travel over the line.

The car bodies being restored by the C&TS are two coaches and a baggage car. The RPO car is a project of the Friends of the C&TS.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:14 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Quote:
Sorry, this content isn't available at the moment
The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible to an audience that you aren't in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:08 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, this content isn't available at the moment
The link you followed may have expired, or the Page may only be visible to an audience that you aren't in.

Uhhhhh.... .?????

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:50 am 

Perhaps Alexander had a moment where the FB link did not work for him?

Anyway, here in a post from the Heritage Rail Alliance is a lot of information about the plans for the museum in Silverton, which the DRHS has been developing. What a very active group!
https://www.atrrm.org/2018/09/big-progress-in-silverton/

In addition, HRA will be having its annual conference at Chama this November 7-11. I find it interesting that this has not been brought up earlier on RYPN. This could be a very interesting conference to attend, as simply exploring the yards in Chama is an engaging trip into railway history.
https://www.atrrm.org/conferences/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:12 pm 

I checked the link and it works fine for me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:52 pm 

o anderson wrote:
In addition, HRA will be having its annual conference at Chama this November 7-11.

Actually the HRA Annual Conference on November 7 to 11 will he held in Santa Fe, New Mexico at the historic Harvey House hotel La Fonda on the Plaza. There is a special trip on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR scheduled for Saturday, November 10th. The C&TS RR are our hosts for the conference.

Here's the link for more info on what will be a great conference. https://www.atrrm.org/conferences/

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:13 pm 

Thank you all for the kind words! Things are pretty exciting around here these days and this charter is in many ways a taste of things to come. The historic car project is a C&TS rehabilitation of coach 292 (complete but for trucks), coach 256 (in process), business car F (to begin 3020, and RPO 65 (in process). The Friends are currently working on tourist sleeper 470, and completed RPO 53 a few years back. The consist will be pulled by locomotive 168 which is currently being rehabilitated to service. Locomotive 315 was back dated to the 1916 era in order to showcase the period of significance chosen for the historic consist and she does look sharp in that guise. Special thanks go to the Friends of C&TS, DRHS, and the C&TS team for making this happen! Stay tuned for more updates, and we will give the full tour to those who attend the HRA conference this year!

Stathi

Efstathios I. Pappas, MS
Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad
spappas@cumbrestoltec.com
209 603 7363

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:41 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Nope, Facebook link at the original post still isn't working.

It's possible one has to be a member of a "closed group" to see said photo. I see this problem all the time--members of the group say "it's just fine" and "works for me" when someone raises the "Content Unavailable" issue, but of course they're members, or in other cases part of the poster's selected audience (i.e. anything less than "public").

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:17 pm 

The FB link in the first post of the thread goes to "American Steam Locomotive Restoration Groups & Projects" and that pages says it is a public group -- but you need to join to post or comment.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:02 am 

I don't have a Facebook account. The link does take you to an image but it must be the only photo in the post since the carousel function only reloads the "first" photo. My guess....