It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Walkersville Southern RR Acquires Third GE 44-Tonner
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:15 pm 

Big Jim:

To answer your question, I don't think either the 9331 or the 9339 is currently operating. I'm usually at the WS during the week to work on rolling stock and rarely see anything actually moving (most trains run during weekends, with the exception of weekday charters), but I asked that question last week and was told neither one is currently operating, although one is not far off from it. If I hear something different, I'll let you know.

As for this third one, I have not heard anything to indicate it was only acquired for parts, although owner Jamie told me himself that parts for 44-tons can be hard to find.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:40 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Actually, as I remember, when "they" got the first ex-PRR 44-tonner from South Carolina, "they" were asking about where to find spares, and I (and probably others) referred "them" over to Strasburg because I believed Strasburg might have had a few spares sitting around for their 44-tonner.

About a year later, they bought Strasburg's outright, supposedly along with what spares they hadn't already burned through.

This leads to the sarcastic joke that for the price of good spare Cat D17000 cylinder heads, you might as well buy a whole loco instead--preferably one NOT powered with a Cat D17000. But Walkersville Southern has true "historic preservation" issues at work here. And, indeed, it's not out of the question that this is exactly what has transpired here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:02 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Before we relaunch an entire discussion of Cat D17000 engines, I'm reposting a link to this long and illuminating discussion that started in 2012:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34023

After reviewing this thread, it occurs to me that an intelligent strategy for "the WSRR" (meaning: the 44-tonner owner) MIGHT be to remove the D17000 engines (reportedly rebuilt and not with as many hours on them as the age might suggest) from the GN loco just acquired as spares for the PRR locos, then retrofit the GN loco with one of the retrofit packages suggested in said thread above. This gives you two authentic PRR museum pieces for a place that called PRR 44-tonners home, and a loco with an easier-to-maintain, expendable engine/generator package for day-to-day service, which could be given any fanciful paint the operator may desire.. (Sorry, GN fans--unless you find a fourth 44-tonner and make some trades......)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:37 pm 

And, indeed, it's not out of the question that this is exactly what has transpired here.

Ask owner Jamie and you'll have your answer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:16 pm 

Jaime is a really good guy. Huge in the railroad speeder hobby. Real big help in getting bulk orders for railroad speeder pressed steel wheels and other bits. Always one of the first to lend a hand on the speeder trips too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:47 pm 

Jamie says he plans to put out a statement on the locomotive to announce his intentions. He will examine it and, if everything tests out okay, it'll be restored. If a "major item" comes up, it'll be a parts unit. He adds that he was assured it was a good unit before the vandalism took place. The previous owner didn't want it parted out and Jamie's intention, as long as nothing "major" comes up, is to restore it to operational status.

In fact, I've already been invited to get to work on the paint job, restoring it to "Great Northern Empire Builder colors" and "you can paint it whenever you’re ready."

That sounds like a preference for restoration to me. Since the WSRR doesn't have an indoor paint shop, painting won't likely take place until the weather warms up, but that's the plan for now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:50 pm 

I am guessing the thieves stole the traction motor cables, and any other wire larger than #14. Forgive my ignorance, but where does one obtain these for an older unit, is it possible to fashion traction motor cables from some sort of stock cable (probably "no" because I have never seen it discussed here)?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:04 am 

That the GE 44-tonners were regular power on this line raises a question for me--what did the PRR use for steam down this line?

The fellows at Walkersville Southern claimed engines as big as K4s and I1s ran there at least semi-regularly, but that seems a bit incredible when you look at the light rail that's still there. And even PRR's lighter engines--I'm thinking of H6 2-8-0s or subclasses--would have been a good deal heavier, with axle loads on the order of 20 tons or better, well over the 11 tons of the 44-tonners.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:22 am 

Quote:
is it possible to fashion traction motor cables from some sort of stock cable (probably "no" because I have never seen it discussed here

Wire is wire same gauge and strand count should be able to be obtained and with far better insulation then the original.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:21 pm 

Cable is still made for the locomotive and transit industries.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:21 pm 

sousakerry wrote:
Quote:
is it possible to fashion traction motor cables from some sort of stock cable (probably "no" because I have never seen it discussed here

Wire is wire same gauge and strand count should be able to be obtained and with far better insulation then the original.

Dave wrote:
Cable is still made for the locomotive and transit industries.

Thanks, I would have thought so, instead of needing to get originals from say GE, although I would guess the connectors need to be applied correctly. So many units have been cut up simply because of the copper thieves, a very rare ex-Great Northern NW5 here in Oregon a few years back only because of the $10k for replacement traction motor cables, for example.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:27 pm 

"What did the PRR use for steam down this line?"

I think it was Ivan Frantz who wrote an article some years ago about the Frederick Secondary for the Keystone, the magazine of the PRR Technical & Historical Society and that's probably where the WS folks got the information about the motive power. I'll see if I can locate the article.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:03 am 

As an FYI:

McHugh Locomotive & Equipment Co. put out on their Facebook "railfan" page that they have just repowered the 44-tonner at the Ga. State RR Museum/Coastal Heritage Society in Savannah:

"The old and obsolete D-17000 CAT diesel engine and old traction generator where removed from the Georgia State Railroad Museum 44 ton center cab locomotive. The unit has been re-powered with a remanufactured Cummins 855 diesel engine and rebuilt GE 558 traction generator. . . . The old CAT 17000's are available, obviously they have issues like all of those type engines are prone too." [Emphasis mine]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:59 am 

Sacrilege!!!

Although I can see the appeal of not needing 2 people to start the engines and priming the injector rack every time. Lets not forget the gallons of oil and antifreeze that spew from seemingly nowhere and everywhere at the same time.

Don't get me started on checking and changing the governor oil sump..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:09 pm 

FRA Part 223 glazing on a GE 44-tonner, operating at a roundhouse museum? Who's idea was that? And at what cost? Wow.

Howard P.