It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kansas City Southern- Surving Passenger Equipment
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:58 am 

wosborn wrote:
Good Cheer is now at Austin Steam Train Assoc. awaiting restoration.

Thanks for the info. List updated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:39 am 

CREEPING DEATH wrote:
wosborn wrote:

I see on ASTA's site they also have the former MKT New Braunfels as well, it appears to be in service - both cars were previously at the Houston RR Museum (Gulf Coast Chapter NRHS) which is in the process of building a new facility in Tomball, TX.
Any idea if they were sold, leased, or some other arrangement?

CD

Good Cheer and New Braunfels are both still owned by the (now) Texas Railroading Heritage Museum (to be built in Tomball)/ Gulf Coast Chapter NRHS, and are on lease to ASTA. New Braunfels is in regular service, and Good Cheer is still perched on top of her flatcar waiting restoration.

Bradley Linda
Waco, TX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:29 pm 

StLSW wrote:
CREEPING DEATH wrote:
wosborn wrote:

I see on ASTA's site they also have the former MKT New Braunfels as well, it appears to be in service - both cars were previously at the Houston RR Museum (Gulf Coast Chapter NRHS) which is in the process of building a new facility in Tomball, TX.
Any idea if they were sold, leased, or some other arrangement?

CD

Good Cheer and New Braunfels are both still owned by the (now) Texas Railroading Heritage Museum (to be built in Tomball)/ Gulf Coast Chapter NRHS, and are on lease to ASTA. New Braunfels is in regular service, and Good Cheer is still perched on top of her flatcar waiting restoration.

Bradley Linda
Waco, TX

Excellent! Thanks. List updated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:09 pm 

Information for chair car #262 and RPO #30 updated. Thanks goes out to A. Kinsley of the Midland Railway, whom I spoke with today.

Information on Grill/Obs #55 “Hospitality” updated. Thanks goes out to the folks at the Belton, Grandview, and Kansas City Railroad, whom I spoke with today. Note: “Hospitality” is the only KCS survivor in their collection. This leaves no further information for the following-

PS Bag/RPO/Dorm Car #69, last known owner- L. Erickson
PS 14-4 Sleeper “Harvey Couch”, then “Cormack” or “Camelot” also under ownership of L. Erickson

Last edited by Mount Royal on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:01 pm 

l wrote:

Pullman Standard Business Car #101, originally- MKT #402. Reportedly sold to a private owner in Tulsa, circa 1968.

MKT 402 is painted as Mallard Transportation and is stored at a UP yard IN San Antonio, coupled to former SSW business car Dixie. I don't have any info on ownership

Bradley Linda
Waco, TX

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:11 pm 

StLSW wrote:
l wrote:

Pullman Standard Business Car #101, originally- MKT #402. Reportedly sold to a private owner in Tulsa, circa 1968.

MKT 402 is painted as Mallard Transportation and is stored at a UP yard IN San Antonio, coupled to former SSW business car Dixie. I don't have any info on ownership

Bradley Linda
Waco, TX

Thanks for the lead. After some digging, I found the car was transported to Fayetteville, Arkansas for restoration around 2004. I can't find any further evidence of the car. Google maps shows a business car and a caboose on an industrial property, but it doesn't look like the same car. The list entry has been updated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:58 pm 

Randy, the MKT 402 is now in San Antonio, Texas. I have seen photos of it in a UP yard in the last 6 months, coupled to the SSW Dixie. The car on Google in Fayetteville is an ex ATSF business car, the number of which escapes me now.

Bradley Linda
Waco, TX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:37 am 

StLSW wrote:
Randy, the MKT 402 is now in San Antonio, Texas. I have seen photos of it in a UP yard in the last 6 months, coupled to the SSW Dixie. The car on Google in Fayetteville is an ex ATSF business car, the number of which escapes me now.

Bradley Linda
Waco, TX

Gotcha. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:58 pm 

List has been re-organized in order of most recent KCS assigned car number. There are 54 cars on the list and I'm steadily gathering updates. A noteworthy observation is that there are only three heavyweight cars on the list of survivors aside from the business cars.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:34 pm 

List updated with current status of five PS baggage cars that went to Great Smoky Mountain Railroad. All five are reported to be is use in regular operations as of 12/18/17 by Aaron S. of the GSMR.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:34 pm 

Several entries updated. Waiting for replies from several organizations.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:12 pm 

Does anyone have any info on this one?

ACF Bag/RPO/Dorm Car #34, originally- #67, then to private owner J. Murrietta

Also, who can amend my thread title to say “surviving” instead of “surving”?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:24 pm 

List updated with information on L&A business car "Magnolia" and Coach Diner #52.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:45 am 

"Does anyone have any info on this one? ACF Bag/RPO/Dorm Car #34, originally- #67, then to private owner J. Murrietta"

This car was in Pittsburgh, KS for many years. I saw it there circa 2008. It was for sale at the time. Within maybe a year, it was sold to someone else in town who (naturally) converted it to an ice cream parlor. This car was completely original. I don't have my pictures handy but I'm pretty sure it was on isolated track on some property Murrietta owned.

On another note, the 14-4 sleeper Harvey Coach was sold by Lance Erickson to mexico pretty early - I'm thinking circa 1980. I don't have my mexico pass car roster handy either, but I have the mexico name and number listed there.

Also, the ex-NYC tavern observation lounge KCS 42 is now stored at the Arkansas and Missouri RR in Ft. Smith, AR awaiting restoration and a return to service.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:26 am 

Topfuel wrote:
"Does anyone have any info on this one? ACF Bag/RPO/Dorm Car #34, originally- #67, then to private owner J. Murrietta"

This car was in Pittsburgh, KS for many years. I saw it there circa 2008. It was for sale at the time. Within maybe a year, it was sold to someone else in town who (naturally) converted it to an ice cream parlor. This car was completely original. I don't have my pictures handy but I'm pretty sure it was on isolated track on some property Murrietta owned.

On another note, the 14-4 sleeper Harvey Coach was sold by Lance Erickson to mexico pretty early - I'm thinking circa 1980. I don't have my mexico pass car roster handy either, but I have the mexico name and number listed there.

Also, the ex-NYC tavern observation lounge KCS 42 is now stored at the Arkansas and Missouri RR in Ft. Smith, AR awaiting restoration and a return to service.

Thanks for the info. The photos of the bag/RPO would be much appreciated as well as the details on the sleeper. I’ll have to get in contact with the A&M regarding the #42. I can’t find it on satellite imaging. It had previously been reported to be in Metairie, LA.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next