It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kansas City Southern- Surving Passenger Equipment
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:17 pm 

List entry removed for Pullman Standard 14-4 Sleeper #45 “Arthur Stilwell”, then AMTRAK #2521. Car was purchased by Tom Johnson of the Branson Scenic Railroad at an Amtrak auction. Car was stored in the Kansas City area until it was scrapped after being severely vandalized. Trucks were salvaged and will be used in the restoration of observation car Good Cheer.

List entries updated for Pullman Standard 14-4 Sleeper “Stuart Knott” and Pullman Standard 14-4 Sleeper #44 “Colonel Fordyce”.

Thanks goes out to Tom Johnson of the Branson Scenic Railroad for the information regarding these three cars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:47 pm 

Does anyone have good contact info for the Railroad Museum of Long Island? I’ve tried their contact email on their website, but haven’t had any luck. I’m trying to nail down the last few chair cars that went to the Long Island RR. I have a feeling they were scrapped as most of the others were. Any other reliable sources would be most welcome. I’m just about done with this project. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Kansas City Southern- Surviving Passenger Equipment
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:34 pm 

I have just about exhausted my resources in search of updates for the equipment on the list. Most of the information is now current. I am still waiting for replies from a few sources, but I’m not hopeful (one of them is UP). I will continue to update the list located on the first page of this thread as information comes in. Many thanks go out to the individuals, companies, and organizations that have provided information in support of this effort. It is greatly appreciated. The most current version of this list (2/5/18) has been submitted to the Kansas City Southern Historical Society and their archive keepers, Waren and Tillie Caileff. I will continue to monitor this thread for responses and welcome updated information. Thanks.

My next project sits on six rubber tires. 1961 International Harvester R-200 series fire engine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:19 pm 

Mount Royal wrote:
Does anyone have good contact info for the Railroad Museum of Long Island? I’ve tried their contact email on their website, but haven’t had any luck. I’m trying to nail down the last few chair cars that went to the Long Island RR. I have a feeling they were scrapped as most of the others were. Any other reliable sources would be most welcome. I’m just about done with this project. Thanks.

Hello Randy, I am an active member of RMLI and I can tell you only one of the original 16 KCS coaches sold to the Long Island is around today. The MTA did a "house cleaning" in the mid 70s and the coaches were scrapped along with other second hands. They were by far some of the most comfortable coaches ever operated by the railroad. That said LIRR #8564, ex-KCS #262 is still kicking at the Midland Railway Historical Association in Kansas privately owned R. Bryan.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:16 pm 

Cameron Wolk wrote:
Mount Royal wrote:

Hello Randy, I am an active member of RMLI and I can tell you only one of the original 16 KCS coaches sold to the Long Island is around today. The MTA did a "house cleaning" in the mid 70s and the coaches were scrapped along with other second hands. They were by far some of the most comfortable coaches ever operated by the railroad. That said LIRR #8564, ex-KCS #262 is still kicking at the Midland Railway Historical Association in Kansas privately owned R. Bryan.

Thanks! I added this one to the list when I spoke with the GM at the Midland about an RPO. Entry as follows....

ACF 60 seat Chair Car #262, originally- 246. Later- LIRR 8564 (8/1968), SHRHS- 1976. 1986- owned by Ross Bryan, 2000- donated to the Midland in Baldwin City, KS. Reported to be poor condition by A. Kinsley, GM of the Midland as of 12/15/2017.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:16 am 

List entries deleted for cars #263-266 and #261. These cars were ACF 60 seat chair cars that were sold to the Long Island Railroad in the early 70's after KCS discontinued passenger services. All of these cars were scrapped in LIRR’s Corona Yard upon retirement. Only one of the ACF chair cars survived the LIRR and remains on the list. Thanks goes out to D. Fisher, M. Boland, and E. Koehler for the information.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:15 pm 

List entry updated for PS 14-4 sleeper “Stuart Knott”. There are plans for this car’s return to service later this year. Thanks goes out to owner Tom McOwen for the update.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:44 am 

2019 thread bump for updates. Please take a look at the current list of equipment on the first page of this thread. If you have any current or additional information regarding these cars, please let me know. Thanks.

The following car is of particular interest at this time.

Barney & Smith Business car #99 “Geraldyne”, built in 1899 originally- KCP&G 200, then KCS car #100. In 2008, this car was moved to Kansas City Union Station for display. KCUS later sold the car and it was reported in 2015 to be listed on Ozark Mountain Railcar's website for sale. Contacted OMR on 12/21/17, car did not sell and listing was removed.

The car was lettered for Texas South Eastern #100 and as of last year, was located across from 2100 Walnut St. Kansas City, MO. Since then, it appears that the car and the other equipment on that siding has been moved elsewhere.

Geraldyne would be the oldest surviving car on the list as it hails from the pre-KCS days of Stilwell’s original Kansas City, Pittsburg, and Gulf.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:47 pm 

2020 thread bump for updates. Please take a look at the list of equipment on the first page of this thread. If you have any current or additional information regarding these cars, please let me know. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:20 pm 

"The following car is of particular interest at this time: Barney & Smith Business car #99 “Geraldyne”, built in 1899 originally- KCP&G 200, then KCS car #100. In 2008, this car was moved to Kansas City Union Station for display. KCUS later sold the car and it was reported in 2015 to be listed on Ozark Mountain Railcar's website for sale. Contacted OMR on 12/21/17, car did not sell and listing was removed."

This car was sold to some outfit who moved it by highway to their location in Southern MO. Somewhere I wrote down who and where it went but I don't have the notes handy. It was a typical last minute hatchet job to get it prepped for movement and most of the undercar equipment was torched off by people who didn't know what they were doing and didn't try to save any of the parts. But, at least the car was more or less saved. Some "homeless" types had been getting into the car, but it still wasn't too bad inside.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:05 am 

Thanks for the update. I’m happy to hear it survives regardless of the new owner’s methods. If you would share the details when you run across your notes again, I’d greatly appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:47 am 

The TSE car 100 body was sitting northeast of Galena, Kansas as of May 2019. It's on private property along the north side of Clark Street. It doesn't show on google earth yet. It is near
the Erie Alco switcher and cars displayed across from B&B Discount; I don't know if they have a common owner though.

Don Marenzi

Attachments:
TSE-1.jpg
TSE-1.jpg [ 291.07 KiB | Viewed 7404 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:04 pm 

List entry for car #99 “Geraldyne” has been updated.

The car has unfortunately been the victim of arson and its future is uncertain at this time.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44692

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:39 pm 

List entry for Pullman Standard Business Car #101 has been updated. See page 1, post #2 for the full list. More info to follow once I receive a response from the owner.

Im always looking for current information on any surviving KCS passenger equipment. Please feel free to share any updates you may have. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:22 pm 

The Geraldyne is on private property and the owner does NOT want people in or around it. T7

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next