It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Portable Wheel Lathe for sale?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:49 pm 

Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:22 pm
Posts: 19
Does anyone know where to get a good, but used portable wheel lathe?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Portable Wheel Lathe for sale?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:06 pm 

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:18 pm
Posts: 2156
The Western Virginia Railroad Preservation Society I think had a lathe, how portable is another question, but I think it was in need of some work to get operable, but it was moved to the Walkersville Southern. I believe there were a few other machine tools as well.
I thought I saw a Lathe in Oswego, MI where 1225 is at, saleable I dunno, but just throwing a few ideas out there.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Portable Wheel Lathe for sale?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:29 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:51 pm
Posts: 1498
Location: Southern California
Are you looking for a wheel lathe for turning axle-mounted wheels, if so what diameter wheel? Most of these devices can be relocated by an machinery mover, but many people would not consider them to be portable.

Or are you looking for some kind of portable wheel truing device?

_________________
Brian Norden


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Portable Wheel Lathe for sale?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:02 pm 

Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:22 pm
Posts: 19
Brian Norden wrote:
Are you looking for a wheel lathe for turning axle-mounted wheels, if so what diameter wheel? Most of these devices can be relocated by an machinery mover, but many people would not consider them to be portable.

Or are you looking for some kind of portable wheel truing device?


Yes, I am looking for some kind of a portable wheel truing device.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Portable Wheel Lathe for sale?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:05 pm 

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 12:20 pm
Posts: 129
dwa2503107 wrote:
Brian Norden wrote:
Are you looking for a wheel lathe for turning axle-mounted wheels, if so what diameter wheel? Most of these devices can be relocated by an machinery mover, but many people would not consider them to be portable.

Or are you looking for some kind of portable wheel truing device?


Yes, I am looking for some kind of a portable wheel truing device.


Wheel truing brake shoes do that job.

Keith


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Portable Wheel Lathe for sale?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:27 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 400
Here is a detailed story of how to use a portable wheel lathe, to see one in action (on a former Southern Pacific Alco S-6 at Niles Canyon Railway), go down about midway and click where it says "For a short movie of the lathe in action, click here." http://sp1218.ncry.org/wheels.htm


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Portable Wheel Lathe for sale?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:18 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:28 am
Posts: 65
Location: Pinole, Ca.
I'm the guy in that video. That particular lathe is available from:
http://imc-info.com/products-services/iron-horse/
It does a good job but you need time and patience.

Howard


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Portable Wheel Lathe for sale?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:20 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:30 am
Posts: 551
Howard Wise wrote:
I'm the guy in that video.

Howard, would you have a ball park price on this machine and do you know if it can do steam locomotive drivers? Thanks.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Portable Wheel Lathe for sale?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:26 am 

Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:30 am
Posts: 551
dinwitty wrote:
I thought I saw a Lathe in Oswego, MI where 1225 is at,

FYI, it's Owosso, MI. Was this a portable lathe? I know they had a standard size steam locomotive driver lathe several years ago, but I think they gave it to the Ford Museum in Dearborn.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Portable Wheel Lathe for sale?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:27 am 

Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 1:37 pm
Posts: 929
k5ahudson asks:

Quote:
"would you have a ball park price on this machine and do you know if it can do steam locomotive drivers?"


If you go to the link Mr. Wise provided, wait a moment for all the code to load if you have a slow connection, and then go to the bottom of the features list, there's a button to 'Get a Quote' (for the Thoroughbred lathe and all the 'accoutrements' you think you'll need or want). I suggest a PM to Mr. Wise will give you the list of necessary or desirable items.

The alternative might be to call them directly at (906) 428-4524.

The picture on their site shows a steam-locomotive driver, so I would strongly suspect they have the 'distinctive competence' to provide equipment and knowledge for machining driver tires.

_________________
R.M.Ellsworth


Last edited by Overmod on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Portable Wheel Lathe for sale?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:51 am 

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:18 pm
Posts: 2156
k5ahudson wrote:
dinwitty wrote:
I thought I saw a Lathe in Oswego, MI where 1225 is at,

FYI, it's Owosso, MI. Was this a portable lathe? I know they had a standard size steam locomotive driver lathe several years ago, but I think they gave it to the Ford Museum in Dearborn.


it was sitting on a flatcar, well, that makes it portable.....8-P

I might have taken a pic of it at trainfest. 1225 was all steamed up but the next day it blew a flue..765 filled its runs.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], rjenkins, Yahoo [Bot] and 38 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: