It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Journal Packing
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:52 pm 

Attachment:
JournalBoxPacking.pdf [313.79 KiB]
Downloaded 556 times

While not the document I remembered, here is one that describes journal packing using wool yarn.

Southern Pacific Company, `Instructions for packing Cellars and Journal Boxes', Sept 18, 1935.

Found it in an old Hard Drive, being a pack rat occasionally helps... Not sure who gave it to me or where it was originally obtained.

Rich C.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:17 pm 

Rich-

Do you mind if I put a copy on my preservation web page?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:03 am 

The practical worth of the SP document is almost nil without having a copy of the relevant AAR standards. Can anyone find a 'postable' copy of the ones mentioned, or links to a usable summary of the content?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:37 am 

You'd need a copy of the field manual that was in force at the time to look up Rule 66 as it pertains to the SP document. I don't think the lubrication manual in pamphlet form came out until 1948 or so. I haven't found Rule 66 for any year online yet. The copyright has likely expired if you find one for 1935.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:12 am 

jayrod wrote:
Rich-

Do you mind if I put a copy on my preservation web page?

Thanks.

Go right on ahead, was posted for anyone's use.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:43 pm 

TM 55-203 has more info than you're ready for....here is a link to a downloadable PDF:

http://militarynewbie.com/wp-content/up ... 55-203.pdf

Now everyone should be running safe and suitable for service, right?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:59 pm 

Adam,

Mind if I post that on my page, too?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:53 pm 

Jayrod,
It's not my website however, that manual was printed by the Government Printing Office, never was classified and could be bought from the GPO for very little. I can't see how it could be a problem but you may want to contact whoever owns the website - they spent the effort to scan it or at least make it available. I have a paper copy but was too lazy to scan it but I did google it to post the link. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:21 pm 

I've downloaded an indexed copy (free) from the Army LOGSA Publications site. It was a pant load of clicking through numerous Army sites and invalid certificate warnings to get to it. Since copyright does not apply to public federal publications (you've already paid for it), I'll get it posted on my preservation page sometime this week.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:54 pm 

Anyone find a 1900-1930 equivalent of the TM-55-203? The one posted only covers journal pads & loose wool waste and not yarn. Possibly one more from the height of the era might cover yarn usage?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:15 pm 

The only TM they had listed was the latest from 1972. I'll do some more digging to see if there are any archives for older docs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:07 pm 

As many are aware, the Mid-Continent Railway Museum is recovering from its second disastrous flood in 10 years. All of the active rolling stock was evacuated to high ground, but all of the equipment in the dead line as well as the privately owned camp cars in the caboose line were flooded to just below their floors. The museum has been working on finding a source for new journal pads. I will post a link to the latest comments. The relevant comment is at the end of this blog thread.

http://www.midcontinent.org/members-bbs ... f=5&t=1997

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:46 am 

Hamster,
It might be advantageous to copy those posts here since you have to register on your BB to view.

On a related note.... Thinking along the lines of Rick's comment towards the beginning of this thread, my sister works for Joann Fabrics and is plugged in to the crafting side of things. One of her coworkers knows a sheep rancher that produces raw wool that can be spun and they may produce yarn. If no yarn, there are spinners out there that can do it. Maybe we can get something going to produce yarn for packing at a reasonable price. I'll keep you posted.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:15 pm 

Since the Mid-Continent Members Blog is not visible to non-members, I have taken the liberty of copying the post on the Mid-Continent Members Forum regarding journal pads. This comment was posted by Mid-Continent President Jeff Bloom on Tuesday, Sep 23.

About 3 weeks ago I emailed Hooper Industries about them making us some journal pads like they did in 2008. No reply, yesterday I called their phone number and actually talked to a person. After I mentioned we had a bad flood, she interrupted and said "we no longer will make journal pads". She did not know of any Mfg's. that do make them.

Then I found the site for the British oilers (their version of the pad). They will make a custom pad with drawings provided. Their standard oiler for British equipment is priced at 65 British pounds ($1.32/pound) + vat each. No prices for custom made oilers.

Our old pads should be able to be saved using the "Buhrmaster method" of reclamation. Some one told me the crew in training tore some of the pads removing them from the box. A torn pad will probably still be useable if not torn open at the top when it meets the journal.

If done properly, a pad should pull out of the box with little difficulty. The main thing to check is when the brass and wedge is removed and the jack released, be sure the journal box comes down all the way , even if the top of the box rests on the journal, that does not harm the journal if careful. If the box does not come down all the way, the pad will fight you.

You may have to remove the jack to allow the box to come down all the way.

Keep in mind, do not use any new pads in equipment not used in revenue train service, good pads are needed for these cars. Cars for display or the ones not used and just sitting around, do not require new pads. If push comes to shove, we can use cotton or wool waste, but these will require more maintenance to keep the material where it will oil the journal.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:17 am 

Jayrod, McKinney avenue transit has been using Eco Wool waste for years now, One hank will fill our journal boxes. We purchase our wool from https://www.yarn.com/products/cascade-y ... gical-wool
I posted videos on our process & practice for using these skeins in daily revenue service. Videos follow.

part 1 https://youtu.be/ItuDcKE_dGY

part 2 https://youtu.be/_jGXs2BeLYY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next