It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Westinghouse UVA vibrating voltage regulators
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:50 pm 

Please let me know if this belongs in the Classifieds.

I am curious how many groups have a locomotive that is still using the Westinghouse UVA vibrating voltage regulators? All of our Lima Hamilton's at the WVRR are still equipped. They work great, but do have a few consumable parts. We are looking at having a run of new brushes/commutators made, and was curious if anybody else has already run this road, or is interested in any of the parts if we decide to have them made. Price is always part of that equation, and is determined by quantity, thus the reason for me reaching out to this group.

I have tried up upload a picture, but the site won't let me. I am confident it is user error. I can email pictures to anybody that might be interested.

Thanks

Ryan

Post subject: Re: Westinghouse UVA vibrating voltage regulators
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:26 pm 

The site will not allow photos above a certain size to be uploaded. The limit is rather low compared to what most sites allow, but we have to remember that RYPN is an historic antiquity by Internet standards.

Post subject: Re: Westinghouse UVA vibrating voltage regulators
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:07 pm 

Ryan Scott wrote:
Please let me know if this belongs in the Classifieds.

I am curious how many groups have a locomotive that is still using the Westinghouse UVA vibrating voltage regulators? All of our Lima Hamilton's at the WVRR are still equipped. They work great, but do have a few consumable parts. We are looking at having a run of new brushes/commutators made,

If you could upload the photos that would be very interesting. Just down-sample them so they are
less than 200K.

The "UVA" regulator that I am familiar with does not have brushes and a commutator. It does have a vibrating relay where the moving armature contains a two-sided carbon disc that mates with stationary carbon-faced contacts. This regulates the current in the generator field which in turn affects the output voltage.

Many companies got tired of the moving parts and as transistors became cheaper and more reliable, replaced the whole thing with a simple pass transistor and zener diode regulator.