It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steam Railroading Institute Acquires C&NW 4-6-0 175
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:20 am 

Always good to see a steam locomotive get picked up by concerned people. Best wishes for a viable plan and support from the outside!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:20 pm 

Folks,
As was pointed out, the Mid-Continent is rebuilding the #1385 a sister R-1. I read their web site,and a lot of documentation is being done on the project.

I would suggest the SRI people get in touch for ideas and information like plans.

Ted Miles, Mid-Continent fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:53 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
You know, for many, many years now there have been three Canadian National 2-6-0's of the same class within 75 miles of one another, all operable at one point or another.

Yet I've never seen or heard any evidence that any of the three's owners have ever conferred with one another, let alone gotten together for a group production of any spares or needed parts.

Sad, really, how little we (seem to) talk to one another........

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:15 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
You know, for many, many years now there have been three Canadian National 2-6-0's of the same class within 75 miles of one another, all operable at one point or another.

Yet I've never seen or heard any evidence that any of the three's owners have ever conferred with one another, let alone gotten together for a group production of any spares or needed parts.

Sad, really, how little we (seem to) talk to one another........

One is regularly restored, running, used, worked on, etc. One had been running, then a volunteer attempt was made to get it running, they didn't get the FRA approval they wanted, now they're quiet for the winter. One hasn't been run in a long time, but I have a feeling it won't be too long before she gets restored again. Three different operations with said 2-6-0's, three different groups of people working or potentially working on said locomotives. What are the odds that the RR with the 2-6-0 running the most will start making group productions and spares out of the goodness of their hearts for the other two railroads (unless orders are placed by one of the other two RR's?)

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:39 pm 

SRI is not new to the game, give them credit enough to investigate what contracted work was done and by whom. If they find the original boiler is not worth repairing like #1385 I am sure they will examine the success of the #1385s new boiler and its design. The #175 has its original boiler like #1385. After they do a Form 4 they will know if they need to follow the same plan of attack. Am happy for everybody involved. Just wanted to make a point that SRI is not new to the game. They know how to fix large locomotives and run them successfully. If they need to talk to one of the contractors who is involved in the #1385 project I am sure they will give them a jingle. I am also sure that MC people could and would help as much as they could if asked, The actual physical work is almost 100% contracted out, hence the large expense of that restoration.

I think where more networking and "talking to each other" would really pay off is when the repairs include major design upgrades like a new welded boiler, roller bearing conversions or modified journals and lubrication changes. If your repairing a locomotive to basic original condition it is more straight forward steam locomotive repair. Or if the new owner has no experience and needs a guiding hand. Best of sailing conditions to SRI on this project. I am genuinely ecstatic to see movement on the #175.

These R-! locomotives are right up there in near perfect size to the SY Mikados for medium excursion service and small enough for tourist railroad work both. Might be a bit large for MC in daily service but for a lot of operations just about the right size. Big enough to pull a modest consist yet small enough to run on many branch line type operations. Don't know if the stars will align enough to ever see a double header of R-1s but I would settle to see both running again period. I am not enough of a railfan to dream of mourading CN&W R-1s roaming the midwest looking for excursions to pull. But if a Big Boy can get restored anything is possible I guess! Regards, John.