It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

would you be interested in a project like this?
yes 17%  17%  [ 9 ]
no 83%  83%  [ 43 ]
Total votes : 52
 Post subject: Re: Would anybody be interested in a Y6b replica
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:56 am 

tweetsie12 wrote:
Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
LNER A3: Gresley 1928-1930s Rebuild/upgrade of GNR/LNER A1 design, plus 27 built new

Look at what you said there: "a Rebuild/upgrade of GNR/LNER A1 design." the Y6b is, again, a rebuild/upgrade of the Y6a. this goes back to my original arguement: If the A1 Trust was so worried about people telling them there was a similar locomotive, they probably would've never built Tornado, and the same philosophy can be applied to building a new Y6b.

Just to be clear, the A3 class were a rebuild/upgrade of Gresley's original GNR/LNER A1 design. Tornado is built to the later Peppercorn A1 design. Same "A1" class designation (although not at the same time), but two different designs. They had the same number of wheels and cylinders, and some superficial LNER family resemblance, but that's about it. The remaining members of the original Gresley A1 class that were not converted to A3s were designated class A10 before the Peppercorn A1 class came along.

The comparison would be more like a Y6b vs. the surviving Y3, rather than the Y6a.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:17 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:

Here's the ONLY argument that's relevant IN THIS CASE:

There were LOTS of Great Western, LMS,and Southern steamers preserved relative to LNER steam. If the preservation were proportional, there would have been a couple of each class saved. Instead, there were a couple A4 examples saved (two overseas), one "superstar" A3, one Thompson A2 (which was largely forgotten for a while as the owner stored it serviceable out of the limelight), and no Peppercorn Pacifics (and one V2 2-6-2 and a couple 4-6-0s). Compare that to more Kings, Castles, Bullied "Spam Can" Pacifics, and Black Fives than we can count.

There are very few loco classes in Britain that could be counted as "missing links" of 20th-century steam, compared to the multitude here--NYC steam of any type, SR Pacifics and 4-8-2s, various 4-8-4s, etc. Once the idea to build a "new build"mainline steamer took hold, several classes were proposed,many as modifications of "spare" steamers such as a GWR "County" or "Saint" from a Castle or 2-6-2. The A1 succeeded because, in part, it would fill that "missing link" better than the other proposals and satisfy more demand--comparable to a NYC Hudson or Niagara here.

And I'm not even discussing practicality here. You can run a Pacific at speed on a mainline excursion train. Ditto a N&W A class 2-6-6-4. Not a Y-class 2-8-8-2.

To begin with, I thought the term "spam can" only applied to Class 40 Diesels who were too lazy too pull train! a.k.a this guy: Image

And Second of all, I'm not really looking to build the fastest Steam Engine for Mainline service. IDK a Y6-b's top speed, but I am aware that they were slow machines. Would it be fast enough for Mainline service though?
"For Peat Sake! Get this Spam Can out of here! all he's doing is moaning for a fitter!"

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:28 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
tweetsie12 wrote:
To begin with, I thought the term "spam can" only applied to Class 40 Diesels who were too lazy too pull train! a.k.a this guy:

I don't know about you, but I got my education and experience from 35+ years in the British railway history and preservation field, not from a cartoon. (Gad, I'm old.)

Even Wikipedia acknowledges the "Spam Can" nickname to Bullied air-casing-equipped Pacifics, or at least the Merchant Navy variation thereof.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:04 am 

tweetsie12 wrote:
e]
To begin with, I thought the term "spam can" only applied to Class 40 Diesels who were too lazy too pull train!

Class 40's have always generally been referred to as "Whistlers" due to the whistling sound their turbochargers make. Only other name I know for them was "Big D's" which seemed to be current in the North West of England in the 1970's.

Gratuitous picture of one, if anyone was wondering what they actually looked like....

Attachment:
81-229.JPG
81-229.JPG [ 219.32 KiB | Viewed 3249 times ]

The "Spam Can" nickname came from the streamlined casing on the wartime SR light pacifics, Spam being a delightful product intoduced into the UK from the US during World War 2. (even the Monty Python team wrote a sketch about the stuff in the 1970's..)

A "Spam Can".....

Attachment:
80-146.jpg
80-146.jpg [ 214.29 KiB | Viewed 3249 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:07 am 

70000 wrote:
tweetsie12 wrote:
e]
To begin with, I thought the term "spam can" only applied to Class 40 Diesels who were too lazy too pull train!

Class 40's have always generally been referred to as "Whistlers" due to the whistling sound their turbochargers make. Only other name I know for them was "Big D's" which seemed to be current in the North West of England in the 1970's.

Gratuitous picture of one, if anyone was wondering what they actually looked like....

Attachment:
81-229.JPG

The "Spam Can" nickname came from the streamlined casing on the wartime SR light pacifics, Spam being a delightful product intoduced into the UK from the US during World War 2. (even the Monty Python team wrote a sketch about the stuff in the 1970's..)

A "Spam Can".....

Attachment:
80-146.jpg

I was making a joke. *sigh.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:15 pm 

Unfortunately, this topic has gone far afield of its original intent, and is contributing little or nothing to the discourse around railway preservation. I've therefore locked the topic.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5