It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who Owns This? Here is how to find out.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:50 pm 

There is this great thing called "GIS Maps" Geographical Information System maps allow you to snoop on information about parcels of land. So next time you find out the location of some equipment search for that areias GIS map and find out who owns that land. If the land owner does not own the equipment on there land it is a good bet they know who does.

Post subject: Re: Who Owns This? Here is how to find out.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:53 pm 

RCD wrote:
There is this great thing called "GIS Maps" Geographical Information System maps allow you to snoop on information about parcels of land. So next time you find out the location of some equipment search for that areias GIS map and find out who owns that land. If the land owner does not own the equipment on there land it is a good bet they know who does.

I love using GIS maps. It becomes addictive.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:00 pm 

GIS is the technology that tax assessors use to identify property. I have found that the way to access this information is through the county tax accessor's on-line data bases of tax information.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:41 pm 

I have made use of GIS based assessor's information in California and a some other states. How much information that is available on-line is going to differ between states or counties.

In the two California counties I have worked with on-line information, the Assessors provide the use/development of the property, dates of title transfer and assessed value are available on-line; for ownership information a visit to the Assessor's office is required. Looking at one county in SW Colorado the on-line GIS information provided ownership information. Looking at a major southern Nevada county, ownership information and even copies of deeds are on-line. A few years ago in Nebraska, different counties had different information available; some - but not al - used a common state-wide service.

It is interesting how this information is becoming available and used. I am sure that there are levels of access such as office use, remote field use, internet availability, etc.

Similarly recorded surveys and subdivision maps are becoming available on-line. Sometimes from the county assessor's website and sometimes from the county engineer's website or the county public works website.

I am a retired GIS Technician of a investor-owned water utility.