It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great Western Railmotor 93 & GWR 6023 Restorations Completed
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:30 pm 

More amazing preservation work from the UK. Built in 1908, out of service in 1934, this is certainly an example of what happens with 13 years of working on one of those "back lot" projects can do. May not be quite as interesting to some as a new Pacific, but impressive. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-13574529

Since the Flying Scotsman was mentioned, I think it is right to also acknowledge another success earlier this year with the restoration of 2-6-0 GWR 6023 King Edward II. This was one of the Barry engines that was stripped for parts, even suffering from a cut away set of drivers following a derailment in the scrap yard. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... ments=true

Congratulations to our friends across the pond.

David Farlow

Post subject: Re: Great Western Railmotor 93 & GWR 6023 Restorations Compl
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:50 pm 

Thanks for posting.

Yes indeed two very praiseworthy restorations.

If you are not a Brit, you can be somewhat forgiven for not noticing there are two sets of wheels in front of the drivers, not one.

The story of that unusual leading truck is well, a story in itself.

TH

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:34 pm 

In regards to 6023, I find the restoration efforts for this locomotive were a long-time and coming. Starting this week and for the summer season 6023 shall be run in at the Mid-Norfolk Railway. Not the N&W. Then come some galas at the Severn Valley Railroad and the Great Central Railway, this Fall. The Didcot railway museum where 6023 is based will have the engine out on the mainline early winter should everything go as planned.

6023 is a 4-6-0.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:46 pm 

I apologize for the mix up, I even know the story about the low riding pilot truck design and knew it is a 4-6-0. The cylinder setup must be quite something, too bad a photo isn't available from an inspection pit!

I ran across a comment in one of the articles that the replacement driver set was the first one of its type reproduced. I guess the ones for Tornado were done later?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/taffytank/ ... /lightbox/

David Farlow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:18 am 

David Farlow wrote:
...... The cylinder setup must be quite something, too bad a photo isn't available from an inspection pit!.....

I had the chance to see the underside of a GWR Castle on the pit at STEAM in Swindon,but got so engrossed at looking at all the bits that I forgot to take a photo. You might find this interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4kN5GKCjNM&feature=related

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:38 am 

Since the last posting the Great Western King class "King Edward II", 6023, had its firebox repaired back in 2012 and has been prepared for mainline running. One of the problems was that the now valid British loading gauge was lower than the Kings chimney, so it had to be lowered by 4 inches.
Once this was tested under steam it appeared that the chimney was too short and the locomotive could simply not raise steam with a single orifice.
Back in 2014 it was proposed by me to replace the blastcap by a 4-orifice unit. Basically this represents a 4-chimney system, a doubling of the double chimney that the locomotive carried before. The theory behind it is based on Buckinghams text on similarity of 1913 and the model test(1933) by Young of Illinois who showed the equivalence of a 4-orfice unit and a double length chimney. With this modification the locomotive worked om the demonstration line in Didcot since May 2016. Last Tuesday 27 Febr. the locomotive was tested on the Severn Valley Railway with a 7-carriage train and trailing diesel, a total of 385 tons. The diesel pulled towards Highley and the locomotive back to Bridgnorth from the curved platform in Highley and the 1:100 gradient right after that.
The locomotive performed flawlessly, good suction, steam keeping on the max pressure mark. It is the ultimate proof of a proper theory on front-end designs. A Youtube film can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8KvayE5TIE
Kind regards
Jos Koopmans

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:04 pm 

David Farlow wrote:
More amazing preservation work from the UK. Built in 1908, out of service in 1934, this is certainly an example of what happens with 13 years of working on one of those "back lot" projects can do. May not be quite as interesting to some as a new Pacific, but impressive.

Congratulations to our friends across the pond.

David Farlow

David -

I was impressed with number 93's looks, but she sure the heck sounds FANTASTIC! Here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3j2pXwicBk

Thanks for the post!

Les

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:27 pm 

The web site of the Ditcot Railway Center and its sister sites make great reading. Sometimes it takes me a while to translate the British steam terms; but well worth the effort. The Great Western Lady of Legand is another great preservation project that is well along!

I wish there had been a Dai Woodham and his Barry Scrap Yard to provide 217 steam locomotives to restore in America! They now steam at museums and tourist railways across the British Isles.

Ted Miles, some times a British steam fan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:28 pm 

I visited the Didcot Railway Center a couple years ago and was completely blown away by all of the fascinating things to see. The 6023 was stunning!