It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to replicate a heritage trolley control, plus Free PCCs
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:25 am 

I found this recent post on the HRA page about as interesting as any lately:
http://www.atrrm.org/blog/2018/03/restoring-the-muni-vintage-streetcars/

My takeway points are that Muni is working with the Market Street Railway group to try to restore additional double end heritage cars;

That these cars will likely have some common control/motor system that is familiar to operators, looks and works like a heritage car should, and is not too complicated (any input from the smarter peanuts in the gallery is welcome);

They are going to cull out the remaining stock of old PCCs, and will (probably) give away up to 12 cars to interested museums cars if they request them;

New Orleans 952 has a questionable future (though it would probably be welcome to stay in San Francisco);

Kobe/Hiroshima car 578 is likely to be offered to museums, or else sit underutilized at SF;

Hamburg 3557 probably has an uncertain future;

Moscow/Orel 106 is too small to ever use in service, so it probably could be available as well;

and if the remotoring/control systems are actually implemented, a stock of old parts salvaged off converted cars could be available (my conclusion - not stated in the article).

Forgive me if this brief summary of a brief article is too short and omits lots of important details. Please read the blog post, which provides some contact information for follow ups, if your museum cares to persue these.

Post subject: Re: How to replicate a heritage trolley control, plus Free P
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:02 pm 

More on the PCCs:
http://www.atrrm.org/blog/2017/08/munis ... pcc-fleet/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:08 pm 

Of interest are the historic SF streetcars.

The Market Street Railway group has three from SF Muni. Railway: 1, 130, 162.

And it has one from the original Market Street Railway: 798.

Per the article, it sounds like MSR wants 1, 130, 162 to retain original components:
Quote:
The 130 has never left Muni’s tracks in 103 years, and is now as rusted and worn out as Car 1 before its restoration for Muni’s centennial. Because it shares Westinghouse components with restored Car 1 and with its twin, Car 162 (about which, more below), on which Muni has already performed considerable restoration, Market Street Railway feels strongly that the 130 should be restored to match Cars 1 and 162, preserving this irreplaceable part of Muni history with components shared by all three. We recommend, and will help, Muni acquire spare components that could be used on all three of its original streetcars.

But 798 will receive the modern standardized propulsion system:
Quote:
Car 798 is the only one of 250 streetcars built by San Francisco labor in the shops of our namesake, Market Street Railway Company.
This car is a great candidate for a standardized propulsion system if the control housing and other visible components maintain a historic look.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:54 am 

In the case of cars with K-35 control (Melbourne W-2's, Milan Witts) K-36 (New Orleans cars) as well as others with other common K controllers such as the K-10 or K-12, parts are indeed readily available from at least 3 or 4 suppliers or are easily produced. I have never had trouble acquiring these for my clients or my home museum.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:04 pm 

Are they swapping to PCC or Brookville trucks across the board? What is the MUNI doing to the two SEPTA Louies that are at Brookville now?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:01 pm 

This sounds like less of a "restoration" than a rebuilding to put modern control and propulsion systems on the cars as well as ADA access.

This is similar to SEPTA's PCC II cars which were rebuilt in 2002-2004 by Brookville from 1947-1948 all-electric PCC's with new trucks, motors, controls, seats, ADA access and rooftop air conditioners with sealed windows. They operate like PCC cars although everything beyond the operator's foot is new.

The PCC II cars operate on Route 15 - Girard Ave.

Phil Mulligan