It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Indiana rail attraction wins state tourism award
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:39 pm 

Press release link: https://www.indianarailexperience.org/2 ... il-events/

Quote:
NORTHEAST INDIANA – Following a successful season of memorable events and recent recognition as Indiana’s “Best New Experience” from the Indiana Tourism Association, a 1940s-era railroad attraction has expanded its calendar of excursions in Northeast Indiana, Southeast Michigan, and Northwest Ohio for 2023.

Operated by the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society and the Indiana Northeastern Railroad Company, the Indiana Rail Experience has events planned between May and December, including steam-powered fall color tours, Christmas train rides, and a hands-on Indiana Rail Camp for young adults and railroad fans. The season will begin with the Indiana Ice Cream Train operating out of Angola on Memorial Day weekend and special events on Father’s Day weekend.

Returning will be the popular all-day excursions to Hillsdale, Michigan, and Wine & Whiskey Trains that will operate throughout the year. Included in the calendar of events will also be a special Railroad Open House event featuring several steam and diesel locomotives at the Indiana Northeastern’s locomotive shop in Hudson, Indiana.

Ticket sales for the season’s initial events will begin on April 19th at 6:00 PM at http://www.indianarailexperience.org. Dates, venues, and trip details are subject to change.

Excursions will feature both diesel locomotives and historic Nickel Plate Road steam locomotive no. 765 on select occasions. Trains include vintage passenger cars from the 1920s through the 1950s, with accommodations in deluxe coach, first-class, lounge, and dining cars. Group packages and private passenger car charters will also be available.

http://www.fwrhs.org

Post subject: Re: Indiana rail attraction wins state tourism award
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:48 pm 

Nice! Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:12 pm 

I'm very interested in the "Open House" with Little River and Grammlings locomotives.. It's always fun to see a group of engines under steam. Hopefully, there will be more information posted on that event soon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:04 am 

A well-deserved win. I made the 9 hour drive west from New York for the Tri-State Experience and it was absolutely worth it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:36 pm 

Kelly,

That's beautiful! Congratulations.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:57 pm 

I notice they left September open. Is another 765 visit to the CVSR a possibility then if they get all the track back in operation?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:01 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
I notice they left September open. Is another 765 visit to the CVSR a possibility then if they get all the track back in operation?

I hope not. CVSR treats railfans like dirt.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:01 pm 

Paul, we'd had some other event plans that didn't pan out for early September, and are operating some private events mid-September, and giving the rest of our gang a good break before we head into a busy fall and holiday season.

Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:27 pm 

Thanks Kelly. Maybe next year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:09 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
PaulWWoodring wrote:

Railfans "don't pay." Riders do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:23 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
PaulWWoodring wrote:

Railfans "don't pay." Riders do.

Well I paid to ride once. Won't ever again. Guess that's what they want then :).

Thankfully 765 has moved on to more friendlier territory - cause she's a lovely engine!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:15 am 

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with the assessment of CVSR's attitude to the fans, but I can't travel right now, so getting to see anything locally is my only option for the time being. I'm glad I got to see a triple runby at Brecksville last year, and that was mostly because I got there early and they couldn't completely close it off because it's a major trailhead and start of a bridal path. In recent previous years I've just been going to see it at MP 43 outside the park, in an Akron neighborhood where the railroad has no authority over who can get in. That is also on one of the steepest parts of the Southbound grade, so that's a bonus as well.