It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Frisco 1352
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:39 pm 

10stewi wrote:
While it may be minor in the scheme of things if it sits outside a bit longer, I'd argue it is not an ok option as was previously stated (especially the uncovered stack). If I recall correctly, this engine sat in a small engine shed before the efforts began to move and restore it. Im a bit surprised to see that efforts stopped so abruptly and left the engine out in the open to take more abuse than when it was sheltered from weather, graffiti, and theft previously. Hopefully she gets some kind of protection soon so that further damage/rot will be minimal.

Speaking to an asr member, I seem to remember that there was deterioration of the pit that the locomotive was over and the decision was to move the locomotive out rather than risk a collapse and having to dig her out.

Post subject: Re: Frisco 1352
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:34 pm 

DWH wrote:
Speaking to an asr member, I seem to remember that there was deterioration of the pit that the locomotive was over and the decision was to move the locomotive out rather than risk a collapse and having to dig her out.

That same information is on the ASR website in the "Frisco Mikado no. 1352" section of the "2016 Year in Review". It states:

"Volunteers went to Taylorville in the spring to cut down weeds and check on the locomotive. It was also determined that the locomotive could not be moved back inside the shed it resided in at Taylorville as the condition of the pit walls and supports are very poor and may collapse under the weight of the locomotive, therefore, the locomotive was left outside."