It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Major Announcement from Altoona Today - BREAKING NEWS
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:06 pm 

WVNorthern wrote:
Despite bad memories with involvement of this engine in the past, I wonder if Steamtown might be willing to host 1361 until (or if) they can get their B&A Pacific ready for excursion service?

SNHS seems to be open to partnering with any organization willing to follow the rules. It may make sense to headquarter there for a season and hit several points in the east before heading back west (at 86 ft she should fit on the turntable fine). We may actually get to see 1361, 3713, and either 425 or 2102 at a future Railfest. Think about that for a minute!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:22 pm 

Is this announcement a certainty that the project will go forward to completion, or is it dependent on raising the funds?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:48 pm 

CTJacks,

The announcement yesterday was made at the museum in Altoona. They have already approached the museum and offered to essentially manage the project for them much like the SLSTA did the same with 1522. I think it was pretty well implied that the museum is in support of this project.

Ron,

Nothing sounds 100% certain yet. No firm funding was announced but they did say that they felt they had identified enough potential major donors that they are not concerned about raising the needed money. They just have an agreement in principle to further investigate and estimate the costs to put this together. With the P70 coaches already essentially purchased and in Iowa, my gut tells me this thing is more of a sure thing than one might think.

Rob

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:52 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
From what (little) I've seen so far, this is the initial toe in the water for fundraising. They most assuredly DO NOT have a million bucks sitting in the bank waiting to start.

BUT, put the "right" names on the committee, and you are more likely to raise funds than if you simply put out some blah-blah-blah press release. I see the presence of Moorman (presumably representing NS as both a partner and a place to run) and Levin (a preservationist with a proven track record of getting things done, political experience, and hands-on operational knowledge) as critical to the appearance and reputation of such a committee.

There has been a statement made that the Philadelphia Chapter of the PRRT&HS has already pledged an initial $2,000 to the effort; I'm sure that as soon as the proper framework for financial contributions is set up and more questions about the proposals are answered properly, others will chime in with their offers of financial support.

I will note that fundraising is still ongoing to get a LIRR G5 4-6-0 restored to operation at Strasburg......

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:45 pm 

"[quote="Rob Gardner"]CTJacks,

The announcement yesterday was made at the museum in Altoona. They have already approached the museum and offered to essentially manage the project for them much like the SLSTA did the same with 1522. I think it was pretty well implied that the museum is in support of this project."

Given ARRMM's penchant over the past 20 years or so for headline-grabbing announcements regarding the 1361's restoration, I find their current silence to be quite odd. Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:59 pm 

great news idea, and a chance to see a PRR steamer hot in my lifetime/

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:47 pm 

[quote="ctjacks I find their current silence to be quite odd. Am I missing something?[/quote]

The uncommon sense to let the leaders take the lead and not muddy the waters. Good on them.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:40 pm 

Considering NS owning some PRR trackage and the ex CEO on board is it possible NS might make a financial contribution to the restoration? 1361 is a very famous loco and would be beneficial to see their names on the "thanks to..." sheet for contributors. A k4s with a period correct consist burning down the line at 60+ sure would be a sight!

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:21 pm 

I doubt it would be a long shot to see 1361 and a string of appropriate cars marching up, and gliding down the Horseshoe Curve on occasions. Isn't this really part of the dream?

And I'll reach even further and say a restored K4s would be a great jumping off point to begin the two LIRR G5s restorations anew. If an extinct T1 is getting momentum, if a huge economic nightmare is being put to bed, the G5's could well benefit from the enthusiasm.

We all need to watch and learn about how capable people undertake the 1361 restoration.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:05 pm 

Let's also tip our collective hats to Henry Posner. Having a set of P70's to make a period train is going to make for an authentic riding experience and the right look.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:20 pm 

If the 1361 were to make the trip around Horseshoe Curve, would special attention be needed to keep the locomotive from jumping the track, rolling across the park, shoving that crappy old diesel down the hill and reclaiming its resting spot where it was quite happy for all of those years thank you very much?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:38 pm 

Photos were just posted of the Timken /PRR bearing conversion design sheets.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:44 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Dave Lewandoski wrote:
great news idea, and a chance to see a PRR steamer hot in my lifetime/

Go to Williams Grove Park neat Dillsburg, Pa.and see PRR B4a 0-6-0 643, then.......

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:17 pm 

What is the history of the tender that was destined to be the A-tank for 1361? I seem to recall from a discussion the use of a 90F82 tender that used to be on Pipe & Steel's property as an aux water tender. I believe this info is incorrect?

Robert

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:41 pm 

Referring to the drawings above of the RB conversion on the drivers, can this be done reusing the existing axles or would there be any modification or replacement of either needed?

Thanks,

Rob

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next