It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old C&O tender Locus Point?
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:54 pm 

With CSX closing the B&O Locus Point yard has the old C&O tender gone to scrap?

Robert

Post subject: Re: Old C&O tender Locus Point?
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:04 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
First, CSX continues to insist that they have not officially "closed" Locust Point Yard, in a game of semantics and PR "wordsmithing" worthy of Bill "It depends what the definition of 'is' is" Clinton or Saddam's Iraqi info minister "Baghdad Bob":

https://www.facebook.com/BaltimoreNRHS/ ... =3&theater

Second, last I saw as of a month or so ago that C&O Vanderbilt tender was still, inexplicably, off on that siding north of the west portal of the Fort McHenry Tunnel, east of the Andre St. crossing.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:31 pm 

Using Google 3D Maps - is this it?

Attachments:
yard tender.jpg
yard tender.jpg [ 242.79 KiB | Viewed 15315 times ]

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:34 pm 

That is the one.

I would like to find out who actually owns this tender and what they plan to do with it?

Robert

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:45 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I seem to recall it had BOMX reporting marks for the B&O RR Museum. It was one of the many pieces identified CSX-wide with "Do Not Dismantle" stenciled on it at one point. I believe the problem may have to do with a pulled drawbar at one end and only a steam loco drawbar at the fuel end.....

If you need it badly enough, it would be an easy truck loading in that area, right next to I-95, but it'd definitely be a permit load.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:18 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
I seem to recall it had BOMX reporting marks for the B&O RR Museum. It was one of the many pieces identified CSX-wide with "Do Not Dismantle" stenciled on it at one point. I believe the problem may have to do with a pulled drawbar at one end and only a steam loco drawbar at the fuel end.....

If you need it badly enough, it would be an easy truck loading in that area, right next to I-95, but it'd definitely be a permit load.

On an old thread years ago it was said by user PaulWWoodring that it had been acquired by the Western Maryland Scenic, was this meant for #1309 at some point? I wonder if they had somehow forgotten about it since then.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:24 pm 

It did have RCPX on it at one point. There used to be photos of it on flicker with a CSX work truck next to it.

Robert

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:29 pm 

Cameron Wolk wrote:

On an old thread years ago it was said by user PaulWWoodring that it had been acquired by the Western Maryland Scenic, was this meant for #1309 at some point? I wonder if they had somehow forgotten about it since then.

Actually, it was ADMIV who asked , " why don't they duck over to that far loop near Fort McHenry and grab that C&O Vanderbilt tender that was abandoned there over a decade ago en route to the B&O Museum?" but he did not state it as fact. Mr. Woodring responded with some information on the tender and some other equipment. I do not see anyone stating that the tender, "had been acquired by the Western Maryland Scenic" as you say. The thread link is helpful:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35565&p=218016&hilit=+tender&sid=279927a25d08a13de63edb14de7b12b4&sid=279927a25d08a13de63edb14de7b12b4#p218016

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:36 am 

The ex-C&O Vanderbilt tender at CSXT's Locust Point yard in Baltimore is privately owned and is awaiting removal by its longtime owners. It is not abandoned property.

No need to panic, folks. Thanks, and be safe.

John B. Corns
a.k.a. misterwandle (Mister W and LE -- get it?)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:49 am 

I believe RPCX 545 is the tender in question. And as I think has already been established, this is not the first time the tender has been discussed here. Links to the some of those other threads are been provided below:

1) viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27908&p=161992&hilit=RPCX+545#p161992
2) viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27969&hilit=RPCX+545
3) http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rspict ... ?id=344867

The following was copied from a TrainOrders post, and I have no way of confirming the post's accuracy / authenticity.
"RPCX 545 is a real reporting mark mark registered in UMLER. Shows it was bad ordered in Baltimore on 4/16 (unsure what year) for draft gear issues and was released from bad order status on 2/12 (again, unsure what year). The car is Restricted in Interchange."

To go off on a tangent, a similar C&O tender is in preservation with the Old Dominion chapter, NRHS in Richmond, VA. That tender is T-201 and was used in MoW / work train service prior to its donation to ODC NRHS.
http://www.odcnrhs.org/equipment_roster ... rd_025.htm

Best,
Andrew

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:16 pm 

Glad we found an answer to this. Definitely not BOMX.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:40 pm 

RPCX--Railroad Passenger Car Numbering Bureau.

If I recall, that may have been the reporting mark for some NRHS chapter in the Baltimore area that had a fleet of old B&O heavyweights that were leased for excursions and commuter services (!) in the 1970s.

Can anyone confirm or correct any of that?

https://www.railserve.com/aar_railroad_ ... marks.html

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:10 pm 

J3a-614 wrote:
RPCX--Railroad Passenger Car Numbering Bureau.

If I recall, that may have been the reporting mark for some NRHS chapter in the Baltimore area that had a fleet of old B&O heavyweights that were leased for excursions and commuter services (!) in the 1970s.

Can anyone confirm or correct any of that?

https://www.railserve.com/aar_railroad_ ... marks.html

BOMX is the designation for museum equipment. That's all.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:26 pm 

You're thinking of Railroad Passenger Cars, Inc, which dissolved around 1995 and donated its leftover stock to the B&O Museum.

RPCX is now an offshoot of the Railroad Passenger Car Alliance,the "other" private car operating group (not AAPRRCO):

http://www.rpcnb.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:39 pm 

Scranton Yard wrote:
Cameron Wolk wrote:

Actually, it was ADMIV who asked , " why don't they duck over to that far loop near Fort McHenry and grab that C&O Vanderbilt tender that was abandoned there over a decade ago en route to the B&O Museum?" but he did not state it as fact. Mr. Woodring responded with some information on the tender and some other equipment. I do not see anyone stating that the tender, "had been acquired by the Western Maryland Scenic" as you say. The thread link is helpful:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35565&p=218016&hilit=+tender&sid=279927a25d08a13de63edb14de7b12b4#p218016

What I knew 10 years ago about that tender, was when CSX wanted all of the stored B&O Museum equipment out of Mt. Claire "A" yard, where I usually reported for work to, and talked to someone working on the running gear of the tender one day, is that it had been sold to an unnamed buyer and was on it's way out of Baltimore soon. And that was 10 years ago.