It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Current Info on NYC 6721 (0-6-0 hit by runaway hopper)
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:26 pm 

Steve Freer wrote:
Ron Travis wrote:
When the hopper hit the engine, was there something blocking the backward movement of the tender?

The station building (or at least an adjacent stairwell) tried, and partially succeeded, to stop the offending motion...

Oh yes, I had forgotten about that. Even though the building looks like it readily gave way, it must have provided substantial resistance in order to buckle the tender frame as shown in the photo.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:48 pm 

And that tender frame looks to be a General Steel one piece casting, about as heavy duty as you can get (easily heavier built than the locomotive's frame), and it's bent!

I've never seen a really clear shot of the locomotive frame under the cab, but from an earlier photo it looked to be bent as well. A lot of the frame's stiffness comes from the boiler, so don't be surprised if it is heavily damaged also.

If you wanted to total a locomotive in one fell swoop, this may be the way to do it.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:17 am 

Dave Stephenson wrote:
Is there any current info on this loco?

Tower Topics, the Utica & Mohawk Valley NRHS chapter's newsletter, has published some details about their efforts (discussions with insurance adjustor, trying to get repair estimates, etc.)

Kelly Anderson wrote:
If you wanted to total a locomotive in one fell swoop, this may be the way to do it.
Indeed.

It's a very sad situation. Several of the U&MV members who restored the locomotive have passed away. Fixing it would require destroying what remains of their work.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:31 am 

Here's a Dan Tweedle photo that you might find interesting:
Railpictures #643871, ADIX 1835 rests in the yard at Utica, New York on December 30, 2017.

The three occupied tracks in the foreground are the Adirondack Railroad's southern terminus. The two unoccupied tracks between the Adirondack RR and #6751 is the CSX mainline (former New York Central water level route).

The red building behind #6721 is the Utica, NY Children's Museum, which was the subject of the Utica & Mohawk Valley NRHS equipment available for donation and Update on Utica & Mohawk Valley NRHS Equipment (9/6/2013) threads.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:39 am 

I have posted a number of detail shots of the damage in this forum over the past few years. A search should turn them up without too much effort.

The casting of the pilot and frame are shattered, but all parts remain on site. I do not recall the locomotive frame being bent, but then I did not really crawl into it to examine. The tender is severely damaged, particularly the draw bar, which is bent into a tight "S", the tender deck is destroyed, the side frames bowed outward. Consider the tender as having absorbed the real impact energy.

My belief is this locomotive can be restored as a static exhibit, which was, after all, what it was doing in Utica. I understand it was once being considered as a potential NYC steam revival locomotive, but that's only third-hand gossip.

In response to Kelly's input, hand it over to Strasburg, with a very sizeable insurance settlement check, and you'll get the best restoration possible, although whether it's cosmetic or operational would have to be a discretionary decision made by experts.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:49 am 

"Only issue I have is they aren't releasing as many updates as I'd like. We try to release pictures after every workday."

They are restoring a Big Boy.

They owe the general public nothing. Never bite the hand that feeds you and never gnaw on the arm that gives you the finest cuisine for free.

You sit at the table, quietly wait for the food and say thank you. I really despise those morons at TO that b**ch about something that was widely considered an impossibility just a decade ago.

Have they learned nothing from the change of view in Roanoke after Mr. Moorman retired?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:51 am 

"Only issue I have is they aren't releasing as many updates as I'd like. We try to release pictures after every workday."

They are restoring a Big Boy.

They owe the general public nothing. Never bite the hand that feeds you and never gnaw on the arm that gives you the finest cuisine for free.

You sit at the table, quietly wait for the food and say thank you. I really despise those morons at TO that b**ch about something that was widely considered an impossibility just a decade ago.

Have they learned nothing from the change of view in Roanoke after Mr. Moorman retired?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:57 pm 

A repair contract has been signed according to the most recent issue of Tower Topics, the Utica & Mohawk Valley chapter's newsletter.

My understanding is that the insurance settlement will not cover the full cost of the repairs.