It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frank Sandberg, Jr. Passes
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:03 pm 

It is with profound regret that I post the following sent by Steve Sandberg.

FRANK E SANDBERG Jr. born September 2, 1941:

1941 was a terrible year for wine, just the year before the Germans Panzers had rolled across France and taken Paris, in the wine growing region of Bordeaux production had slowed to almost a halt due to the war. In many of the famed vineyards such as Chateau Angelus, Chateau Pichon Longueville & Chateau Lafite Rothchild German officers would simply disappear, never to be seen again. Years later is was reported that French Resistance would secretly capture German officers and dump there bodies in the fermentation tanks, no one every figured out whatever happened. Maybe this is why Frank would never let anyone drink that rare bottle of 1941 he cherished in his wine cellar.

1941 was good year for railroading and a great year to be born into a railroading family. Born September 2, 1941 Frank E. Sandberg Jr. was the given name, but for those who know the Minnesota native well, it's "Sandy". From the time he was big enough to reach the throttle, a week never went by that he didn't help his Dad (a 53 year Milwaukee Road Engineer) switch the back lead, L-2, S-2 & S-3 were everyday conversation for a young boy and his father. As he grew older his interest in Railroading increased, fueled immeasurably by his ability to ride trains for free on his father's rail pass and his soon to be wife Judy Casey. Frank and Judy soon married and it was common to see them out chasing steam excursions such as the CB&Q #5632 or driving all night to Duluth to watch the DM&IR steam ore, Judy would drive the car and Frank would take the pictures. They were a great team! In 1961 both Frank & Judy were founding members of the Minnesota Transportation Museum and at the age of 17 in 1958 instrumental in the preservation of Twin Cities Street Car #1300 now operating at Lake Harriet. Frank was a founding member of the National Trade organization named the Tourist Railway Association and went on to serve as the Minnesota Transportation Museum's President during the 1980's.

Early on Frank was a numbers guy, after graduating from Roosevelt High School in South Minneapolis Frank attended Dunwoody College. Starting his career as a draftsmen and moving on to be a design Engineer for Remmele Engineering in St. Paul. In 1983 Frank and fellow Remmele employee Darrel Johnson started Con-Tek Machine, after designing everything from Fighter Jets to Pizza Ovens Frank retired and sold his business in 2015. Described by many people as a very giving man, Frank was a very generous always quick to pick up the dinner tab or take care of a friend or family member in need. Many of you know Frank for his love & support for the Milwaukee Road #261.

This afternoon my friend, my father and mentor passed away quietly with his family by his side. He leaves behind a fantastic legacy of railfan history and memories, Frank was an avid wine collector and loved to travel.
He loved riding in the jump seat behind me as I ran the 261, one time leaning over my shoulder at 75 mph and whispering in my ear "I told you she likes to roll", we both smiled and didn't say another word. The entire family: Cathie, Rob, Jason Julie, Megan and Anna are grateful to have been surrounded by such a wonderful man. We want to thank all of our Friends and Family for there support at this time.

Dad, I will miss you and say hello to mom for me.

Steve Sandberg
President & Chief Operating Officer
The Railroading Heritage of Midwest America/North Star Rail

Post subject: Re: Frank Sandberg, Jr. Passes
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:32 pm 

So sorry to hear that Steve. You had extraordinary parents and I know you will miss them terribly. Our condolences and prayers to you and the Sandberg family.
You were very fortunate to have them with you as long as you did.
Don Wirth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:37 pm 

we can only hope we all are thought of so well.
Sorry for your loss Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:43 am 

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have great memories of associating with Frank and Judy at T.R.A.In. conventions and other events over the last four decades. They were quite an inspiration.

Aarne Frobom
Owosso, Michigan