It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MARTINSBURG, WV,..B&O ROUNDHOUSE
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 1999 3:45 am 

I AM AN ARCHITECT "INVOLVED" IN THE PRESERVATION EFFORTS FOR THE B&O ROUNDHOUSE COMPLEX IN MARTINSBURG,WEST VIRGINIA. WE ARE IN NEED OF OLD PHOTOGRAPHS AND/OR ANY TECHNICAL DATA FOR THE BUILDINGS. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.<br>

JSEALE1313@AOL.COM

Post subject: Re: MARTINSBURG, WV,..B&O ROUNDHOUSE
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 1999 7:46 am 

Both of these seem rather obvious, but I'll go ahead and suggest them: schedule a visit to the archives of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Museum in Baltimore; librarian Ann Calhoun will be glad to assist you. You can reach the Museum at 410-752-2490.<p>Also, you might contact the following historical societies:<p>Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Historical Society<br>PO Box 13578, Baltimore MD 21203<p>Affiliation for Baltimore & Ohio System Historical Research<br>Dwight Jones, 536 Claribrook Avenue, Columbus, OH 43228<p>Chessie System Historical Society<br>PO Box 206, Amesville, OH 45771.<p><br><br>

eledbetter@rypn.org

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 1999 12:19 pm 

You may want to check out the drawings done by the Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) and the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS). I am almost positive that the Martinsburg roundhouse was documented through these programs. The Library of Congress is the easiest way for the public to access these although there is likely a way to do so through the National Park Service. I believe there is a web page that indexes the HABS/HAER collection as well but I do not seem to have the address any longer. Does anyone out there have it?<p>Wish you well in your research,<p>David Farlow<br>Whitewater Valley Railroad<br>

rfarlow@bcaconsultants.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 1999 4:32 pm 

Not too many years ago, HABS/HAER moved into very nice quarters in a new building near the General Printing Office ("GPO") on North Capitol Street in Washington DC. An easy walk from Union Station so, if you go to see them from Martinsburg, MARC or AMTRAK in.<p>Phone number should be in the the DC book or findable on the web. <p>HABS/HAER is an excellent suggestion they do superb work and always have been very cooprative when I have approached them on documenting the East Broad Top.<p>Phil Padgett <br><br>

ebt4evr@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 1999 4:48 am 

Great ideas, guys: sure enough here's a link to the drawings, as listed in the Library of Congress' searchable HABS database...<p>

Martinsburg roundhouse HABS record
eledbetter@rypn.org

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 1999 7:55 pm 

Errr.. Erik, couldn't open your link, came up with this. <br>http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/hh:@field(SUBJ+@band(martinsburg--berkeley+county--west+virginia))<p>Evidently there's an east and west roundhouse, as well as a machine shop. Mr. Seale, hope this helps, these guys draw buildings like most play golf, play it where it lies. it will be the condition at the time they saw it., I should know, I worked for them for about 3 years., If there was a recording project, there should be photographs, as in large format stuff, readily accessible, but there are also field photos, shot by the team on 35mm, you'll have to ask (at least) after these from LC prints and photographs. They are probably in the same archival abyss as the measured field notes. <br>One note of caution, the guys in HAER were more interested in process and industrial tech than in exacting documention of buildings. We have at least one instance of them cribbing from old prints that were not right because they couldn't get into a building here at wonderful HAER GA-1 (first project in Georgia, C of G Savannah Shops) than the HABS people. Then again, they drew our machine shop in mid collapse, because that how it was. <p> Looks like the machine shop was done by HABS, early on, and the rest bay HAER somewaht later. If you want, email me for specific names at the office to ask after. <p>"Truth is beauty, and beauty, truth. This is all you know in life, and all you need to know."<br>

Ruddlong@aol.com

Post subject: Bad Link
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 1999 8:37 pm 

Sorry about that, Rudd. I think the link got truncated by the bulletin board software. Anyway, your link should work fine, and for general reference here's the LOC/HABS home page URL:<p>http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/hhhtml/hhhome.html<p>Yes, there are two complete-circle roundhouses at Martinsburg along with ancillary structures. They're amazing survivors.<br>

eledbetter@rypn.org