It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: So you want to preserve some Amfleet?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:23 am 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
Remember what Jim Boyd called them: "AMD-103, Armenian Made Diesel - 103% ugly".

Part of that was due to the paint scheme. Remember, the first P40s were delivered in a paint scheme that made the blue and red stripes appear dirty towards the rear of the carbody. Someone thought this was trendy but it just looked stupid. This was corrected on subsequent deliveries but ruined with the adoption of the current Amtrak scheme. Interestingly, I like the bloody nose scheme better on the P42 than I do on an E-unit.

Also, Metro-North's New Haven units look good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:42 pm 

RCD wrote:
PMC wrote:
The early GE Genesis units have almost no resale value other than scrap, and believe it or not the Genesis units have been mainline power for almost as long as the F40s were. No one in the working trades (engineers, mechanical, etc.) likes them, but the bean counters who paid for them and the fuel did, a story to tell right there.

I don't think any of the genes#its have any vaule above scrap. If one were to be saved I would look gor the first one built and the ones that pulled Obamas inaugural train.

This attitude makes me a bit sad. I personally love the Genesis units. Have you ever stood next to one idling at a station, or heard one chugging away with a heavy train? Something about them exudes power. Not to mention they were some of the last units influenced by Deane Ellsworth in terms of acoustics - they were delivered with some of the best K5LAs ever and the horn placement is designed so that the sound waves bounce around in a recessed pocket to give it a very punchy, aggressive sound. The terrible horns many of them have now kind of ruin all this design, but they were also the first to have Amtrak’s special dual Graham White valve setup for a perfect half-blast.

Unfortunately I think most railfans will continue to have their heads stuck in the sand as far as the appeal of these units, and we will most likely lose most of them. I urge you to have an open mind.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:08 pm 

RTL-III wrote:
Unfortunately I think most railfans will continue to have their heads stuck in the sand as far as the appeal of these units, and we will most likely lose most of them. I urge you to have an open mind.

Bear in mind that RCD is an absolutely staunch advocate that the Genesis units are garbage, and loves to remind anyone and everyone of this at any opportunity. I wouldn't rely on him to be the voice of the modern generation's opinion.

I think it would be great if we could get a small "example train" of sorts set up. A P42DC, a sleeper, diner, lounge, and coach would be an excellent glimpse into what is currently the modern long distance passenger train. I've already sent an email off to the president of my local museum suggesting as much.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:53 pm 

To dig up a old post ...

Western Maryland Scenic Railway ran FOUR trains each day this past weekend and all of eight (8) were completely SOLD OUT!

Passengers on the Frostburg Flyer this weekend had the rare opportunity to experience the railroad in Rail Excursion Management Company’s two Amfleet coaches, making their debut run while the regular fleet of coaches were being utilized on the Pumpkin Patch Limited trains.

The Pumpkin Patch trains ran only as far as Helmstetter's Curve and ran one trip before the Frostburg, MD excursion and the other two while the Frostburg Flyer was at it's namesake city.

Attachments:
Frostburg Flyer D small.JPG
Frostburg Flyer D small.JPG [ 244.26 KiB | Viewed 2938 times ]
Frostburg Flyer A small.JPG
Frostburg Flyer A small.JPG [ 193.94 KiB | Viewed 2938 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:05 pm 

YeOldeEnjine wrote:
To dig up a old post ...

Western Maryland Scenic Railway ran FOUR trains each day this past weekend and all of eight (8) were completely SOLD OUT!

Passengers on the Frostburg Flyer this weekend had the rare opportunity to experience the railroad in Rail Excursion Management Company’s two Amfleet coaches, making their debut run while the regular fleet of coaches were being utilized on the Pumpkin Patch Limited trains.

The Pumpkin Patch trains ran only as far as Helmstetter's Curve and ran one trip before the Frostburg, MD excursion and the other two while the Frostburg Flyer was at it's namesake city.

That train feels like when video game designers include trains in the game.
It's kinda right. The parts are all there, kinda, but something is just kinda off.

Even so, I'm glad their are now some Amfleets outside the Am fleet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:33 pm 

Ed Kapuscinski wrote:

That train feels like when video game designers include trains in the game.
It's kinda right. The parts are all there, kinda, but something is just kinda off.

Even so, I'm glad their are now some Amfleets outside the Am fleet.

A few questions...

What is the logo on the cars? It looks like a variation on the Budd logo.

What is the box car-like unit behind the locomotive? A HEP unit?

Thank you!

Wesley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:03 pm 

"What is the logo on the cars? It looks like a variation on the Budd logo. What is the box car-like unit behind the locomotive? A HEP unit? Thank you! Wesley"

Yes, that is a cleverly designed logo for "Railexco" the owner of the Amfleet cars. It is based on the Budd Co logo. Railexco also owns the ex-GN "Great Dome" being used on the WMSR.

The box car is an ex-Amtrak MHC used as a generator car. Not sure who owns that car - maybe WMSR.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:07 pm 

A few questions...

What is the logo on the cars? It looks like a variation on the Budd logo.

What is the box car-like unit behind the locomotive? A HEP unit?

Thank you!

Wesley[/quote]

Yes, the boxcar is the "HEP Unit" for those cars in the fleet that don't have generators. The car also has space to haul bicycles from Cumberland to Frostburg last year for those folks who wanted to ride the train up the mountain and ride their bikes back down the trail. I don't believe it has been used that way during this season.

Tim W.

Attachments:
logo.JPG
logo.JPG [ 141.71 KiB | Viewed 2880 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:03 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Bump:

https://cs.trains.com/trn/b/observation ... sight.aspx

Quote:
Bob Johnston’s report today on TRAINS’ Newswire (“First Look: Siemens Venture Coaches debut for Amtrak”, February 2, 2022) about the new equipment’s first use in revenue service, on a “Lincoln Service” Chicago-St. Louis round trip, is a reminder that the new equipment will eventually be supplanting older cars, including the original Budd Amfleet cars, which commenced service in 1975.

Coming in 2024 (Newswire, July 7, 2021) will be the first of up to up to 83 new trainsets of equipment to “replace Amfleet I and related equipment on Northeast Corridor and state-supported services”. As noted therein, “The new Amtrak order is based on Venture equipment”; thus, the advent of the regular service use of this type of passenger car is a visceral reminder of the forthcoming changeover in the Northeast and elsewhere.. . .