It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Soo Line No. 2719 may return to Wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:30 am 

Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:11 pm
Posts: 28
Developing this week...

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2018/06/25-soo-line-no-2719-may-return-to-wisconsin-for-display


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soo Line No. 2719 may return to Wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:02 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm
Posts: 2267
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Idle hands do the Devil's work.

_________________
Steven Harrod
Lektor
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet
Institut for Systemer, Produktion, og Ledelse


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soo Line No. 2719 may return to Wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:36 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:26 am
Posts: 4102
Location: Maine
The very idea turns my stomach.

_________________
"It's only impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soo Line No. 2719 may return to Wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:21 pm 

Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:39 pm
Posts: 37
Location: Peoria, IL
I personally do not see a problem with this. As of now the 2719 is in the Lake Superior Railroad Museums hands and if it were to be returned to the park a shelter would be constructed for it, not a bad outcome to me. If it is moved to the park it may have a longer life span because of sitting dormant. Just my thoughts.

Connor


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soo Line No. 2719 may return to Wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:11 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 5660
Location: southeastern USA
For those who object, it's a bit late now - both parties agreed to the terms many years ago, and both have been successful in living up to the terms as well as doing well by the locomotive. Either they live up to the terms they agreed to, or they renegotiate to another set of terms that satisfies both parties involved. No bad guy involved........

_________________
Santayana: "He who does not remember the past is condemned to repeat it."
Corollary: "He who does is doomed to watch those who don't repeat it anyway."


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soo Line No. 2719 may return to Wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:23 pm 

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:37 pm
Posts: 52
I would bet that by the time the City realizes how difficult and expensive it would be to move this engine it will likely not happen. Neither CN or UP will want any part of moving the locomotive and the cost of a new shelter
will also be very expensive. In addition, it's very doubtful after spending even more money to put it back in service it would not have a place to run. I could be wrong but I have my doubts as to it's return to Eau Claire.

Probably the best place for it is right where it is as the museum has the trackage to run it on.

exprail


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soo Line No. 2719 may return to Wisconsin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:01 am 

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:50 pm
Posts: 2417
Location: Northern Illinois
It is a little disappointing that the original restoration to operation can't be built upon, as it's typically easier to go through the second 1472 day inspection, but the city essentially guaranteed that the museum would not start a rebuild when they wrote their option into the contract. I think part of the problem is because of the changed situation, the city (or some residents) feel they've lost "their" locomotive; remember, the original agreement with the Locomotive and Tower Preservation Society was going to keep the locomotive in the local area. Some parties are not happy it was spirited away to Duluth.

But what it will really come down to is if money can be raised for the move and shelter... especially the shelter. If it goes back to Eau Claire to be displayed under roof, it's really just mothballed for the future. If the money for the shelter isn't forthcoming, then very likely it will stay in Duluth, also a good home, and likely be rebuilt again while the D&NE 28 runs out its days.

_________________
Dennis Storzek


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soo Line No. 2719 may return to Wisconsin
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:29 am 

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:37 pm
Posts: 52
Good information and very good summary, Dennis.

exprail


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soo Line No. 2719 may return to Wisconsin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:08 am 

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:44 pm
Posts: 116
Dennis Storzek wrote:
If it goes back to Eau Claire to be displayed under roof, it's really just mothballed for the future. If the money for the shelter isn't forthcoming, then very likely it will stay in Duluth, also a good home, and likely be rebuilt again while the D&NE 28 runs out its days.


No offense to Brother Storzek intended but statements about the 2719 being rebuilt when 28 finishes its current certification are rather irritating. There are statements to that effect that have been made in numerous locations and all of them are still talking about something that's 8-10 years down the road and likely to be decided by different people than those managing the organization now. I can already tell you from one operating season that 28 is a better fit to the type of railroad and operation the North Shore Scenic Railroad is. All you can do with the 2719 is run back and forth to Two Harbors, hope the Canadian National lets you around the wye and back out of town in a two hour window, and charge more money for a ticket than most visitors to the area are willing to spend, let alone four or more for a family trip, which is the core of our ridership. 2719 ran in Duluth because it had a current certification, had nowhere else to go, and the museum was willing to take a chance on a partnership with an outside group. The locomotive would likely not be in Duluth now if the choice was being made today to bring it up as a recently operated but currently retired locomotive.

_________________
Nick Turinetti
Operations Manager
North Shore Scenic Railroad


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soo Line No. 2719 may return to Wisconsin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:12 pm 

Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:33 pm
Posts: 19
The Fireman wrote:
All you can do with the 2719 is run back and forth to Two Harbors, hope the Canadian National lets you around the wye and back out of town in a two hour window, and charge more money for a ticket than most visitors to the area are willing to spend, let alone four or more for a family trip, which is the core of our ridership.



Nick, Please forgive my ignorance, but how does this differ from operating the D&NE No. 28?

-TM


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soo Line No. 2719 may return to Wisconsin
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:16 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 2528
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
The Fireman wrote:
Dennis Storzek wrote:
If it goes back to Eau Claire to be displayed under roof, it's really just mothballed for the future. If the money for the shelter isn't forthcoming, then very likely it will stay in Duluth, also a good home, and likely be rebuilt again while the D&NE 28 runs out its days.


No offense to Brother Storzek intended but statements about the 2719 being rebuilt when 28 finishes its current certification are rather irritating. There are statements to that effect that have been made in numerous locations and all of them are still talking about something that's 8-10 years down the road and likely to be decided by different people than those managing the organization now. I can already tell you from one operating season that 28 is a better fit to the type of railroad and operation the North Shore Scenic Railroad is. All you can do with the 2719 is run back and forth to Two Harbors, hope the Canadian National lets you around the wye and back out of town in a two hour window, and charge more money for a ticket than most visitors to the area are willing to spend, let alone four or more for a family trip, which is the core of our ridership. 2719 ran in Duluth because it had a current certification, had nowhere else to go, and the museum was willing to take a chance on a partnership with an outside group. The locomotive would likely not be in Duluth now if the choice was being made today to bring it up as a recently operated but currently retired locomotive.


Nick,

You likely need to call the office and chat with your superiors. Your statement doesn't jive with what Ken Buehler, the LSRM Executive Director is saying publicaly. It'd probably be best if you two were on the same page:

Quote:
Ken Buehler, executive director of the Lake Superior Railroad Museum, pressed his case to the City Council at a Monday night public hearing that the museum has been the best steward of the steam locomotive and intends to get it running again.


http://www.leadertelegram.com/News/Front-Page/2018/06/25/div-class-libPageBodyLinebreak-No-2719-buyback-goes-to-council-div.html

_________________
--
David M. Wilkins
<Insert Impressive-Sounding Job Title Here>
<Insert Impressive-Sounding Organization Here>

"They Love Him for the Enemies He Has Made!"


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soo Line No. 2719 may return to Wisconsin
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:20 am 

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:44 pm
Posts: 116
Eau Claire voted, 7-1

_________________
Nick Turinetti
Operations Manager
North Shore Scenic Railroad


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soo Line No. 2719 may return to Wisconsin
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:16 am 

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:34 pm
Posts: 2267
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
During the discussion of the proposal, the sponsor of the resolution, Dave Strobel, commented that once the city buys the engine back from the Museum, then they could do anything they wanted with it. Strobel said the city could sell it for what it is worth (a million dollars was referenced)


How many times have we seen this delusion before?

_________________
Steven Harrod
Lektor
Danmarks Tekniske Universitet
Institut for Systemer, Produktion, og Ledelse


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soo Line No. 2719 may return to Wisconsin
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:54 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:19 am
Posts: 5660
Location: southeastern USA
OK, so the museum now has to come up with more than $2 when the city holds its auction. Or, hopefully, another well funded preservation or operating organization. Beating the scrapper shouldn't be too hard.

_________________
Santayana: "He who does not remember the past is condemned to repeat it."
Corollary: "He who does is doomed to watch those who don't repeat it anyway."


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Soo Line No. 2719 may return to Wisconsin
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:27 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 2528
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
The Fireman wrote:


The City voted 7-1 to extend the buyback period for six months, which LSRM also agreed to.

They still have to find a way to pay to move it from Duluth.

_________________
--
David M. Wilkins
<Insert Impressive-Sounding Job Title Here>
<Insert Impressive-Sounding Organization Here>

"They Love Him for the Enemies He Has Made!"


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cheesehead, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 53 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: