It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:24 pm 

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:40 am
Posts: 409
twofoot wrote:
BigBoy 4023 wrote:
The up coming auction is something of a disappointment really. I thought all of the diesels had been accounted for and would be moving on to new homes. I don't know about anyone else? I am tired of this saga.

For what it's worth, I decided to reach out to SMS Rail in NJ again about the Baldwin #99. I don't have much hope for it though. There has been a couple Baldwin switchers scrapped in recent years do to a lack of interest and the difficulty in finding parts for them.

Robert


Robert, details please on this Baldwin engine.

Thanks

Chris


Chris, Thank you for your interest in the VO. C420 is pretty much spot on in his reply.

Quote,

" details please on this Baldwin engine"

This Baldwin VO was never an NHP locomotive, just painted like an NKP engine.

This Baldwin came from Crane Naval Depot in southern Indiana at a time when you could still move locomotive friction bearings.


This was a very good running locomotive, until they ran it in the snow and grounded out 2 traction motors. To the best of my knownledge, the traction motors have never been repaired.

End Quote.

If I am not mistaken, I think the F units will probably find some interested party. They are always in demand. Especially the B unit considering how scarce they are getting. The old steam generator car I am not sure what future it can expect? I don't know what shape it's in or whether or not it's an empty shell?

Robert


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:36 am 

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:49 pm
Posts: 22
I notice that NKP GP7 426 and ex Milw Rd F7 83A are missing from the auction, anybody know whats up with them? I know from drone footage they are both still in the park as of a month or so ago. I am wondering if Hoback's group bought both of them or someone else that is waiting on heavy haulers to move them? Mike


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:29 am 

Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:05 pm
Posts: 855
Have the two cranes been moved yet?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:36 am 

Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 6:30 pm
Posts: 205
Location: Illinois
artfull dodger wrote:
I notice that NKP GP7 426 and ex Milw Rd F7 83A are missing from the auction, anybody know whats up with them? I know from drone footage they are both still in the park as of a month or so ago. I am wondering if Hoback's group bought both of them or someone else that is waiting on heavy haulers to move them? Mike


I was told a couple days ago that the 83A is going to the Nickel Plate Express to replace the little switch engine on the other end of the train. The 426 is reportedly in poor mechanical condition but it is accounted for and will be leaving the property eventually.

Thomas

_________________
"My train of thought derailed."

Heyworth Railroad Museum
https://www.facebook.com/heyworthrailroadmuseum/


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:11 pm 

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:49 pm
Posts: 22
I am not completely supprised about 426. They seem to run everything into the ground instead of concentrating money on keeping a few key pieces up to snuff. Hope she goes to a better home where she will be better cared for. This whole mess is a total embaressment for the preservation community and a lesson in what not to do. I for one will be glad when its all over, ie all the equipment either off to new homes or scrapped(hopefully not) I wonder if the Nickle Plate Express will move the old Hobb's depot up to Atlanta? It would look good trackside there in downtown. Then they could add a proper platform as well.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:27 pm 

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:38 pm
Posts: 290
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
If its allowed to be said, why have all the cars AOS was interested in not been collected? Were their eyes bigger than their stomachs, or did the time crunch prioritize the removal of other equipment before theirs?

_________________
Stuart Harrod
Steam shop machinist
Nordsjællands Veterantog
Veterantoget.dk


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:03 pm 

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:17 pm
Posts: 211
For what it's worth.

I was told that the cars marked AOS are still there because The Age of Steam got a new director that put a stop to the purchase and moving of those cars.

I live in Noblesville and have talked with the city about the ITM site and equipment.

I was told that it will remain a rail yard and that plans are being drawn-up for a new display there. Hobbs depot will remain there. I was also told that the new operation was going to lease 2 locomotives from the city. I questioned the city official about this and he told me that the equipment, the site and all that remains on it, belongs to the city and they can do as they want with it.

This kind of fly's in the face of everything that has been said in the past.

I have also complained to the city about using Ozark Mountain Rail Car as the auction company. I think it is wrong for anyone to have to sign the Ozark contract to even view what is being sold, in what is suppose to be a "Public Auction".

The city official also told me that if they wanted to, they could just give this equipment away to non-profits. So I ask why don't you and never got an answer.

I can not see the wood box cars bringing any money, for what it is going to cost just to move them off the property. So, why not just give the freight cars to non-profit that can show that they have the means to move them.

Sell the locomotives at auction and recover some cost to clean up the property.

Sadly, this whole saga just seems like it is never going to end.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 pm 

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:40 am
Posts: 409
Anyone have high up contacts in BNSF? Would be interesting for them to have a F unit trio in one of their various liveries. While the BNSF dosen't have a direct connection to the Milw, they could grab the opportunity to have a set of EMD F units painted in their corporate livery pulling their OCS.

Robert


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:35 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:16 am
Posts: 55
Location: Racine, Wi
unless things have changed at BNSF - they appear to have given up the idea of F's or E's pulling their trains. These 3 are at IRM.

http://www5.irm.org/cgi-bin/rsearch.cgi ... thern=BN-1
http://www5.irm.org/cgi-bin/rsearch.cgi ... thern=BN-2
http://www5.irm.org/cgi-bin/rsearch.cgi ... thern=BN-3

Bob


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:47 pm 

Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:04 pm
Posts: 109
AlcoC420 wrote:
For what it's worth.

I was told that the cars marked AOS are still there because The Age of Steam got a new director that put a stop to the purchase and moving of those cars.

I live in Noblesville and have talked with the city about the ITM site and equipment.

I was told that it will remain a rail yard and that plans are being drawn-up for a new display there. Hobbs depot will remain there. I was also told that the new operation was going to lease 2 locomotives from the city. I questioned the city official about this and he told me that the equipment, the site and all that remains on it, belongs to the city and they can do as they want with it.

This kind of fly's in the face of everything that has been said in the past.

I have also complained to the city about using Ozark Mountain Rail Car as the auction company. I think it is wrong for anyone to have to sign the Ozark contract to even view what is being sold, in what is suppose to be a "Public Auction".

The city official also told me that if they wanted to, they could just give this equipment away to non-profits. So I ask why don't you and never got an answer.

I can not see the wood box cars bringing any money, for what it is going to cost just to move them off the property. So, why not just give the freight cars to non-profit that can show that they have the means to move them.

Sell the locomotives at auction and recover some cost to clean up the property.

Sadly, this whole saga just seems like it is never going to end.



I wouldn't believe anything the city tells you. Most likely they will declare that property a super fund site and petition Congress for a billion dollars to clean it up. Of course a good portion of that money will be siphoned into city officials pockets for their new houses, cars, and vacations from kickbacks of various construction companies when they get the awards to clean it up. You would also get that mysterious "not accounted for" missing cash that nobody knows where it went.

I wouldn't knock Ozark rail car. They have a good record of selling historic rail road equipment that is normally pretty difficult to sell with a big following of buyers. They have good prices with lots of photos. As far as I know anyone can buy from Ozark as long as you register.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:52 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 803
The auction is underway, you can see the current bids, everything except the GN steam generator car has met the reserve. I would bet that a lot of the cars are being bid on by scrap dealers, but not the GN car due to "issues with environmental cleanup" (my euphemism). I would optimistically say that the Baldwin, 44 ton, and three Milwaukee Fs have exceeded scrap price so they may have a home.

https://ozarkmountainrailcar.com/auctions.php


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:54 pm 

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:40 am
Posts: 409
Considering much effort I've put toward trying to find a home for the VO, I hope it does escape the torch. Baldwins hold a soft spot within me. I like their looks and their burbling sound. This one only needs minor work and two traction motors to make it operational again.

The F units most likely will go on to find new homes. They are always sought after locomotives. Sad the GN heater car might not make it. All of them did survive up till now. The hulk would make a great diesel generator power plant for any number of possibilities.

If 4 out of 5 make it, I guess that can be considered a win. This whole ordeal has been ridiculous to begin with. I will be glad when the fat lady sings.

Robert


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:36 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 803
BigBoy 4023 wrote:
Sad the GN heater car might not make it. All of them did survive up till now. The hulk would make a great diesel generator power plant for any number of possibilities.


Indeed. I'm not positive the steam generator is still inside so it may not have any issues.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:01 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 803
Four or so hours left I believe. I'm not registered with Ozark, but if you are I believe you can tell who is bidding, I am curious whether it is groups bidding or just the vultures circling.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:31 pm 

Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 11:27 am
Posts: 446
Location: Switching the Coach Yard
PMC wrote:
Four or so hours left I believe. I'm not registered with Ozark, but if you are I believe you can tell who is bidding, I am curious whether it is groups bidding or just the vultures circling.


There are scarce few bids other than the "minimums" Ozark introduced over a month ago. Also, bidders don't appear to be identified, therefore no way to know if you're bidding against a shill. And as usual, I'm sure you can expect a last minute flurry of bids on certain pieces.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: