It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Indiana Transportation Museum Given until July 12 to Mov
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:40 pm 

On a happier note, the ex-L&N diner "Cross Keys Tavern" entered service at TVRM yesterday. It was rescued from IRM last year.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:34 pm 

Lets hope the steam gen and F units find a buyer other than the scrap man.

Interesting someone picked up the Baldwin VO and UP GP-9.

Robert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:05 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:

Interesting someone picked up the Baldwin VO and UP GP-9.

Are we sure of that? I guess the fact they aren't in the auction indicates they have a taker, but until they are seen on a truck out of there I wouldn't count on it. It's funny that the UP GP-9 would be in demand and the Fs haven't been so far, but I guess it is a mistake to underestimate the value of a running unit with meat left on the wheels and brakes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:26 am 

Supposedly the VO was picked up by the city of Kokomo, the B unit is in rough shape ( although it still has it's hostler stand ), the UP Geep has a brand new main generator, good wheels was blue carded and regular power on the Fairtrain. The "Monon" FP7 does run, has good wheels however needs a flywheel. The " Nickel Plate " F7 and Nickel Plate Geep 426 have been stolen by the new operator for future use on the north end of the line. Why the city of Noblesville Indiana and Hamilton County has not been held accountable for the shocking disregard and destruction of history is hard for many here to comprehend.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:31 am 

Possibly because they tried for a very long time to encourage the equipment to be moved before they finally took over the process to clear their own property and since have offered everything to any capable taker more than once.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:55 am 

Some of us should really try to convince the new operator to grab that steam generator car and convert it into their HEP car. That damn boxcar is butt ass ugly. Move the generator into the F3 body and have something with a bit more style and taste.

Robert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:23 pm 

Yenko Stinger wrote:
The " Nickel Plate " F7 and Nickel Plate Geep 426 have been stolen by the new operator for future use on the north end of the line.

"Stolen" is the wrong word.
"Saved" is a better word. I would rather see these two locomotives being used by the new operator rather than end up as Gillette razors.

The ITM had about a year of time to move equipment. Yet they waited until the last minute to actually start moving...

Have we figured out where the 44 tonner went?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:01 am 

ITM was an all-too-common case of boomer museum owners not attempting to work with anyone until it was too late - if you're angry at the city you are not angry at the right people.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:44 am 

The history that's being destroyed is the railroad itself from Noblesville south to Indy, which is currently being pulled up, and that is the city of Noblesville and Fishers fault. For all the internal problems at ITM it doesn't change the fact that the city simply wanted the museum, which was the number2 tourist attraction in Hamilton County, and the railroad itself gone, and those of us that are local have known this from the beginning.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:47 am 

I guess it isn't over till the fat lady sings, or in today's terms, the lawyers are all paid off, and you count how much you have left over. Time will tell. In any case, I am happy that much of the equipment has been saved. The L&N diner looks great at it's new home at TVRM.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:27 am 

Yenko Stinger wrote:
The history that's being destroyed is the railroad itself from Noblesville south to Indy, which is currently being pulled up, and that is the city of Noblesville and Fishers fault. For all the internal problems at ITM it doesn't change the fact that the city simply wanted the museum, which was the number2 tourist attraction in Hamilton County, and the railroad itself gone, and those of us that are local have known this from the beginning.

Nothing of this line has been pulled up yet. The new operator of the line, being the Nickel Plate express, operates from Atlanta to Forest Park (the former HQ of ITM). Their eventual goal is to extend northward to Tipton, and continue toward downtown Noblesville.

While we all like to take the bias towards the group involved with railroads, let’s take a step back here and realize that ITM wasn’t exactly doing the best job with how they maintained their rolling stock, how they presented themselves, and how they operated, and that’s what cost them. We should’ve seen this when poor 587 hadn’t been restored after all of this time. 15 years for a rebuild (considering she was last operated in 2003) is far too long, seeing as her initial restoration only lasted from 1983-1988.

Little news of this trail has been made since the new operator of the northern portion of the line has been running the line with a former Erie Mining F9, and some Santa Fe Hi level cars. Proposals have actually been made to save the line south of Noblesville.

Saving this Line wouldn’t be too particularly challenging if Hamilton county (the owner of this line) allows. The line is currently isolated but in both places the line could be put back together funding and time permitting. On the north end is the already mentioned severed diamond in Tipton. But on the south end, trackage in Indianapolis is severed from 22nd street to 10th street, which is about 8 blocks of track, with the ROW still intact.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:25 am 

This is incorrect. The entire line has been pulled south of Noblesville. Rail and ties are gone all the way south to 96thSt, with rail unbolted in preperation for removal south of 96th down to Indianapolis. This work has been ongoing for a few weeks now. A&K doing the scrapping. Plenty of pictures over on the Indiana Railroads Bullsession site showing the carnage.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:10 am 

Really? As much as I don’t want to, I need to see some pictures for that, because I’ve been trying to find something in the news or pictures on the internet nd I haven’t found anything.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:59 am 

Steamguy73 wrote:
Really? As much as I don’t want to, I need to see some pictures for that, because I’ve been trying to find something in the news or pictures on the internet nd I haven’t found anything.

Sadly, AlcoGuy is correct...

http://indianarailroads.org/board/index ... c=21340.80

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:46 pm 

I’m sorry to see this. But you can’t be angry at either Fishers or Indianapolis for the irresponsibility of ITM and how they operated and ran their business. As much as I hate seeing this, I can’t push the narrative of “local museum defenseless against city” idea.

Maybe one day Fishers in particular will see the error in their ways and maybe try to create a relationship with the new organization up north, operating from Atlanta to Noblesville. But until then, this part of line was subject to a tragic fate, by an organization that didn’t care for it until it’s last moments, and a suburb that was finally fed up with that organization and it’s wrongdoing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 39  Next