PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:01 pm 

Attachment:
NOGN RR Co.  No. 1907.JPEG
NOGN RR Co. No. 1907.JPEG [ 136.32 KiB | Viewed 4198 times ]
Attachment:
NOGN RR Co.  No. 1907.JPEG
NOGN RR Co. No. 1907.JPEG [ 136.32 KiB | Viewed 4198 times ]
All,

Would anyone here happen to know the history behind this caboose? I am not sure that this is in fact a NEW ORLEANS and GREAT NORTHERN RR Caboose. The other side is not lettered..

Mr. Starr

Post subject: Re: This Caboose
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:07 pm 

It looks suspiciously ex DL&W. The DSS&A had several that appear to match, purchased second hand sometime in the fifties from Iron & Steel Products Inc. in Chicago.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:13 pm 

It likely is this former Crown Zellerbach caboose (go down about three-quarters of the page, I tried to post but the photo is too large): https://meridianspeedway.weebly.com/the ... train.html

According to the article "Caboose “B” is now displayed next to the old GM&O depot at Bogalusa, incorrectly lettered for the New Orleans Great Northern."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:33 pm 

PMC wrote:
It likely is this former Crown Zellerbach caboose (go down about three-quarters of the page, I tried to post but the photo is too large): https://meridianspeedway.weebly.com/the ... train.html

According to the article "Caboose “B” is now displayed next to the old GM&O depot at Bogalusa, incorrectly lettered for the New Orleans Great Northern."

I got lucky--a little big, but I've had things come up worse.

And I have to say, thanks for the link--looks like an interesting operation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:25 pm 

It seems to me that we had a previous thread on this caboose. I believe it was started by the late Dean Levin, who took a lot of photos of railroad items in his travels, and posted many here to RyPN. I am trying to remember if the caboose (it WAS ex-DL&W) was sold to the NOGN before it went to Crown Zellerbach. I'll continue looking for that previous thread.

Les

ADDENDUM: Well, Dean didn't start the old thread, although he had a couple of interesting additions to it. The title of that thread was "Louisiana news and questions". In that thread, it was pointed out that caboose "B" was purchased to replace an older caboose "A", and it also confirms its original Lackawanna history. I don't know for sure however, if Crown Zellerbach purchased it from the DL&W or from the GM&O. Did the GM&O (or the NOGN) purchase any second-hand wood cabooses from the Lackawanna?

Sure is a neat caboose!

Les