It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Status of baby train master?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:48 pm 

Just wondering if anyone happens to know anything regarding the FM baby train master TVA #F3060? Would be a nice addition to the TVR collection and a place to once again operate.

Robert

Post subject: Re: Status of baby train master?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:55 pm 

I posted a similar question a few months ago. It's still there as of recently but not being used for anything and not viewable to the public.

Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:10 pm 

Now here's a question, but are the H16-66s identical to the H16-44s in all but the trucks? If that's the case there is that pair of FM trucks up in Canada that are available. Might make replicating a Virginian H16-44 (or really any railroad's H16) an opportunity...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:41 pm 

The H16-66s and the H16-44s are nowhere near similar. Besides that fact why would you want to destroy the last remaining H16-66 to make a faux H16-44? Preservation via representation is not a good practice. The H16-66 is historically significant in its own right.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:38 pm 

Eric Bolton wrote:
The H16-66s and the H16-44s are nowhere near similar. Besides that fact why would you want to destroy the last remaining H16-66 to make a faux H16-44? Preservation via representation is not a good practice. The H16-66 is historically significant in its own right.

I think you might want to re-read Daylight's post. He says there is a pair of trucks available in Canada not referencing a specific locomotive. Within technical aspects the H16-66 is almost a shorter Trainmaster (by about 4 ft) with different generators, traction motors and a smaller fuel tank. The differences between both models really aren't that great when you observe them in detail. #F3060 does use GE electrical components however as that was an FM offered option during the time of production. Likewise two CPA-16 B units do survive today in Cranbrook, BC as "robot cars," I could see them being very useful for such a reproduction project if ever to occur.

Cameron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:37 pm 

I forget the exact museum that has it, but isn't there at least one train master, H24-66? That was saved from the group NS had used as slug conversions....
In any case, it's a frame and trucks....just build a new cab,etc...
I do think those trucks should be saved, but there's lots of other projects out there that wouldn't be quite as difficult to realize or result in losing something else unique...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:01 pm 

eze240 wrote:
I forget the exact museum that has it, but isn't there at least one train master, H24-66? That was saved from the group NS had used as slug conversions....
I do think those trucks should be saved, but there's lots of other projects out there that wouldn't be quite as difficult to realize or result in losing something else unique...

It is (or was a few years back) at the Reading Railroad Heritage Museum in Hamburg PA. It was apparently a former Wabash unit, not sure why the RRHM picked it up but thankfully they did.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:04 pm 

Quote:

You would be thinking of the Reading Company Technical & Historical Society in Hamburg, PA. At one point or another I recall them tossing around doing just that, rebuilding the hood and cab to make it look externally like a Reading TM. Of course, they have far more pressing projects right now, but maybe eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:33 pm 

eze240 wrote:

The only Train Master saved is Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) H-24-66 #8905 now owned by the Canadian Railroad Historical Association, which operates the Canadian Railway Museum in Saint-Constant, Quebec.

I am more concerned by the fate of the baby H16-44 Canadian Pacific 8554 anyone has a update or pictures of this Fairbank???

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:39 pm 

There is still an H16-44 in existence - former CP #8554 - currently privately owned and stored outside of Calgary AB.

The other preserved H16-66 unit is former Squaw Creek Coal #72001, currently painted as "CP #7009" and stored in Nelson BC, along with C-Liner #4104 for eventual display around the station there.

Len.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:16 am 

PMC wrote:
It is (or was a few years back) at the Reading Railroad Heritage Museum in Hamburg PA. It was apparently a former Wabash unit, not sure why the RRHM picked it up but thankfully they did.

This was the condition of #9905 when I visited Hamburg back in 2011....
Attachment:
11-3050.jpg
11-3050.jpg [ 176.55 KiB | Viewed 11437 times ]

Certainly somthing to work from if they ever decide to rebuild it to original condition, and more to work from than some of the UK "new build" diesel projects!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:12 am 

70000 wrote:
This was the condition of #9905 when I visited Hamburg back in 2011....
Attachment:
11-3050.jpg

Certainly somthing to work from if they ever decide to rebuild it to original condition, and more to work from than some of the UK "new build" diesel projects!

I wonder if whomever made the hoods for FM is still in existence, if not certainly the CP unit in Montreal would be close enough to copy. A few years back a baby TM was cut up in KY as I recall, I wondered at the time if the cab and hood structure were similar enough to the six-axle TM to be a donor.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:11 pm 

I would not want to see TVA 3060 modified to faux pass of anything. TVA 3060 is historically significant and should be restored to fully working TVA 3060. The baby train master and Alco MRS-1 are two of my favorite diesels and I like them original condition.

Robert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:55 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
I would not want to see TVA 3060 modified to faux pass of anything. TVA 3060 is historically significant and should be restored to fully working TVA 3060. The baby train master and Alco MRS-1 are two of my favorite diesels and I like them original condition.

Robert

Robert -

I agree that the unit should be saved. However, if you want to see it in its original condition, the unit previously carried number 24 and was painted black with yellow trim.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:11 pm 

Les, That would be one exemption. But no changing trucks etc. The time to save a trainmaster was missed when SP cut up the last few of them in the 1970's.

Robert