It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rock Island E-Units to be part of steam excursion event
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:51 am 

The Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society, Metra, and Iowa Northern Railway are partnering to transport historic Rock Island locomotives no. 652 and no. 630 to LaSalle Street Station for the Society’s steam powered excursion event The Joliet Rocket.

On September 15th and 16th, the locomotives will be on display for the enjoyment of The Joliet Rocket’s passengers. It will mark their return to the station for the first time in nearly 40 years. Cincinnati Scenic Railway and Trains Magazine will sponsor the movement of the engines to Chicago.

On September 15th, Trains Magazine will sponsor a special nighttime photo session at LaSalle Street Station featuring the two diesel locomotives.

Tickets are on sale now: https://www.showclix.com/event/rock-isl ... to-session

The Rock Island locomotives were originally built in the 1940s to power the railroad’s premiere “Rocket” trains. After being purchased in 2007 by the Iowa Northern Railway, the locomotives were cosmetically restored in 2017 and plans call for them to be eventually returned to operation. The Society wishes to thank Iowa Northern Railway, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City Railway, Iowa Interstate and Metra and their employees for supporting the movement of these historic locomotives.

ABOUT OUR SPONSORS

Cincinnati Scenic Railway is a 501c(3) non-profit organization operating historic railroad equipment for the education and enjoyment of the public in Southwest Ohio, providing year-round excursion train rides in the region.

Trains Magazine offers railroad news, railroad industry insight, commentary on today's freight railroads, passenger service, locomotive technology, transit and more to hundreds of thousands of readers each year.

Iowa Northern Railway Company is headquartered in Waterloo, Iowa. It was formed in 1984 on a section of the old Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Company.

Attachments:
4501_from_inter_neg..jpg
4501_from_inter_neg..jpg [ 309.78 KiB | Viewed 8675 times ]

http://www.fwrhs.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:38 am 

Last edited by Robert J on Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Rock Island E-Units to be part of steam excursion event
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:18 am 

It's taken four months just to wrangle the logistic and opportunities together here (while also putting together 765's trips), but in the future who knows what could happen. IRM is also pretty occupied that weekend for their Museum Showcase Weekend, so I think those Rock Island cars will be filled with happy passengers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:11 pm 

Last edited by Robert J on Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:27 pm 

The owner was considering making the units into "E-38s", i.e. installing unturbocharged 16-645s, as UP did with their executive Es. I really hope the owner gave up on that idea.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:43 pm 

PMC wrote:
The owner was considering making the units into "E-38s", i.e. installing unturbocharged 16-645s, as UP did with their executive Es. I really hope the owner gave up on that idea.

Well,that sounds like an idea that needs to be passed on to Kentucky Railway Museum for L&N E6 770.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:01 pm 

JohnnyWinkler wrote:
PMC wrote:

Well,that sounds like an idea that needs to be passed on to Kentucky Railway Museum for L&N E6 770.
That was a major rebuild that the UP had done to the E-units. Instead of two V-12 567 diesel they got one V-16 645 diesel and ungraded electrical. This to make the UP units comparable with the maintenance crews and storerooms.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:15 pm 

I think that took some major reworking of the frame. The benefit was that any shop on the system would have parts and familiarity with them when they were thousands of miles from home. The priorities are different than they would be for a tourist line operation. Stick with the 2 12-567s.

Note that when MK rebuilt the WSMTD (BN) E units they stuck with the paired prime movers but put 645 PAs on them. Of course in commuter service running mostly single unit trains, having two engines is a virtue in the event of a breakdown. Not enough to go that way on new power but enough not to give it up when you have it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:22 pm 

Wonder if it would make more sense now to use 710s with essentially dash 3 electronics in them if you were going to repower.

... or go all the way and have a E8-70ace with full AC conversion and power on 6 axles. Clearly mostly joking on that last part...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:19 am 

While it would be possible to rebuild or re-manufacture an E-unit to any range of configurations, questions as to where one would use it and how one would gain a return on investment still remain. The combination of PTC, tightening insurance, the end of Amtrak facilitating excursions, effectively ends opportunities to operate on a mainline that one doesn't own. For a class II or III operation, maintaining the last revenue configuration will provide years of use for a relatively modestly expenditure.

I think what we are seeing with the Joliet Rocket excursions is a new excursion model, where there is a train ride using special equipment and an opportunity to see (but not ride) historic rolling stock in an urban location. The 630 and 652 will make a big impression on the crowds without having to move a throttle notch.

I also have a few notes on related equipment. The Rock Island rebuilt 630 with HEP in 1965 for use with newly delivered Budd bi-levels. Those cars are still on Metra's roster as coaches 8220-8224 (ex RI 110-114) and 7242-7256 (ex RI 140-154). Roster info via: https://chicagorailfan.com/rosmetcs.html

Also worth noting is that Metra put a vinyl wrap on F40PH 100 that is closely inspired by its as-delivered RTA 1977 paint scheme. Many of Metra's F40PHs have now been in service almost twice as long as the E and F units they replaced!

Their continued service is a testament to the quality and ingenuity of Metra's mechanical forces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:40 am 

Last edited by Robert J on Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:44 am 

Appreciate the additional background on the E's - if anyone fancies sending me some more on these particular units, I would appreciate it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:44 am 

I imagine these have 567's, not 567A's. Both of which some parts are getting scarce for. If they were mine and had a decent excursion career planned, I would look into C blocks. For a twice a year run, keep whats in it.

Its been reported by Hatch & Kirk even some early 645 parts are starting to get hard to come by for good cores, resulting in the need to make brand new things as opposed to rebuilds.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:03 pm 

If you want to restore them to regular operation, put in a pair of C block 567's or even 645 E blocks, as they are more common still....plus its easier, more off shelf componenets, etc... The only big issue might be the cooling system on the 630, as the fans are probably different....might have different radiators too...

The average person will never know the difference between straight 567's, A, B, C or E blocks....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:17 pm 

Don't these units belong to the Manly Junction Railroad Museum in Iowa?
Or is that museum a subsidiary of Iowa Northern?