It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Bessemer and Lake Erie steam trio
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:29 am 

I wrote another article, this time on 3 engines that were preserved by a very generous railroad, read about it here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2P ... UsnANB/pub

Thanks everyone. Any questions can be sent to the email address linked in the post or commented here on RYPN.

Thanks,
Connor

Post subject: Re: The Bessemer and Lake Erie steam trio
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:31 am 

Thanks for contributing. The 604 was not a B&LE locomotive but was built for the Union RR and then went to the Duluth Missabe & Iron Range before being returned to Greenville for the historical collection.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:56 am 

A bit of information you may want to include is that the 154 was not donated outright from IRM to the Henry Ford Museum, but rather traded for Toledo & Detroit 4-4-0 16.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:55 am 

Mr, Stein and Glenn Campbell bought 643 from the B&LE. When the Bessemer was taking bids against steam town in I wanna say 1988. 643 was first housed at the union railroad shops in Hall, PA. From 1989 till 92. In 1992 she was moved to the shops at Glenwood. Mr Stein left this world in 1993. The building was removed in December of 2006 the city of Pittsburgh did a inspection of the building after a snowstorm and had found cracks in the I beams that made up the building.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:42 pm 

lmckay175 wrote:
A bit of information you may want to include is that the 154 was not donated outright from IRM to the Henry Ford Museum, but rather traded for Toledo & Detroit 4-4-0 16.

From what information i found, 154 was donated to the Henry Ford Museum and in return, the Henry Ford donated T&D 16 to IRM. That information could be wrong though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:37 pm 

Nice little write up and summary. Is 643 rapidly deteriorating? Hard to say until somebody with steam chops gets a close inspection. Thanks for your interest in the subjects!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:48 am 

Richard Glueck wrote:
Nice little write up and summary. Is 643 rapidly deteriorating? Hard to say until somebody with steam chops gets a close inspection. Thanks for your interest in the subjects!

My logic is that 643 was restored to operation in the mid 90s, then sat inside with no work for a few years and now has been outside for 11 years with no care whatsoever. From past experiences, once rust gets ahold of a engine it only goes downhill at a very rapid rate. You also have to take into consideration that 643 is in Pennsylvania, a very snowy and rainy climate.

Thank you for you kind words as well, I really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:22 am 

Engines that sat outside for decades are in decent shape.....I'm sure 643 is not in imminent doom of rusting into a pile....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:03 am 

From February 2018...
I've seen worse.

Photo by Matt Provenza.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:39 pm 

ConnorDoesTrainStuff wrote:
Richard Glueck wrote:

My logic is that 643 was restored to operation in the mid 90s, then sat inside with no work for a few years and now has been outside for 11 years with no care whatsoever. From past experiences, once rust gets ahold of a engine it only goes downhill at a very rapid rate. You also have to take into consideration that 643 is in Pennsylvania, a very snowy and rainy climate.

Thank you for you kind words as well, I really appreciate it.

Hi conner 643 was inside from 94 to 2006 my father me and Glenn do basic work every year we try. Normally gease bearings and try to tarp the engine. Glenn had some issues this year which prevented us tarpping it. The stack is covered atleast.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:20 pm 

the Alco kid wrote:
Hi conner 643 was inside from 94 to 2006 my father me and Glenn do basic work every year we try. Normally gease bearings and try to tarp the engine. Glenn had some issues this year which prevented us tarpping it. The stack is covered atleast.

Thanks for the information! I hope you and your father are doing well and keeping the locomotive maintained.

Connor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:03 pm 

the Alco kid wrote:

Thanks for the information! I hope you and your father are doing well and keeping the locomotive maintained.

Connor.

Glenn's the ring leader lol he keeps us together like flying monkeys. Glenn and everyone involved are just happy the engine is still around. We still keep in touch with Mr, Corns ( spelling my be wrong) and many others who helped over the years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:12 am 

the Alco kid wrote:
the Alco kid wrote:

Connor.

Glenn's the ring leader lol he keeps us together like flying monkeys. Glenn and everyone involved are just happy the engine is still around. We still keep in touch with Mr, Corns ( spelling my be wrong) and many others who helped over the years.

The B&LE 2-10-4's are very similar to those of the CB&Q. Many CB&Q fans including myself are happy that the closest surviving thing to a 6300 is being cared for!

Keep up the good work,
Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:47 am 

Thomas -

The Bessemer used the design of the CB&Q "Colorado's" for their 2-10-4's. In the late 1930's, the Burlington sent their series through their West Burlington Shops where they were given roller bearings on the drivers, a change in cylinder dimensions, disc type main drivers and lighter rods. The rear sand dome was also moved up next to the front sand dome. All this resulted in an engine that allowed higher speeds over the railroad and a slightly different appearance. Here's a photo of number 6319 as she appeared in June of 1959 at Galesburg, Illinois:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/403789/

Add me to the list of those who wish that the "Q" had saved a "Colorado".

Les