It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Proviso Yard
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:29 am 

Came across an "article" on Proviso, with many interesting photographs. Some are by Jack Delano; others show an immense roundhouse with only a single turntable.

The huge LCL transfer building is also there. This was replaced by a piggyback (intermodal) facility in 1958. Of note are the box cars with a large "X" on the doors; these were "dolly" cars, with LCL shipments in cages on wheels, used to gather the packages from other freighthouses around Chicago for sorting and loading at Proviso. I have to imagine this was unique to this facility.

http://industrialscenery.blogspot.com/2 ... eight.html

Post subject: Re: Proviso Yard
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:05 pm 

Made a few deliveries while driving truck to Proviso Yards. The roundhouse was still intact but was leased or owned by the huge garbage company by then. Went to a nearby warehouse and the only thing I remember was an observation car that I think was used as an office but was under roof inside building. I did not get to wonder around much. Was a busy place when I was there. Must of been in the mid to late 1980s. The shops I never made it to were the CN&W shops downtown. I ran the inner city in early 1980s but never made it there. That city has really changed industrially speaking since those days. So much of the old industry is gone. Though still interesting to see the skeletons that remain.

When coming into Chicago on Amtrak Lake Shore we almost stopped in front of the steel mill south of town {can't think of the name now} while waiting for clearance to bring it in to station. I never got a truck into that mill either and it was fascinating to observe from the close up. They were tearing down some of the buildings that were close to the tracks/fence. I am not exposed to heavy industry any more so I find it all fascinating. Thanks for post the link.

Regards, John.