It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Help Needed With Identifying Electric Railway Carbodies
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:59 pm 

Everyone,
Thanks very much for all of the new information. It will be very helpful in compiling my list.
CSontag wrote:
Hi,

There are two Oklahoma Railway cars near Elk City Oklahoma. One is an old Rockford and Interurban car 301 The Kishwaukee that I am very much interested in.

Charles

I too find this car very interesting, as it was built for a line pretty close to where I live now. The street view link you included shows one car; I can't really find the other. Do you know which one is viewable? Based off of looks, I'm guessing the one that can be seen is the streetcar built for Oklahoma Railways. If so, It would be nice to get a photo of the R&I lightweight as well.

CSontag wrote:
And there is a car-body in Huron Ohio that is turned into a house. "I found that in Christiansen’s “New Northern Ohio Interurbans”, on page 975, he lists B&S #23 at 318 Deerwood"

https://www.google.com/maps/place/318+D ... 82.5842761

Looking at the street view for this, I can't really make out anything clear. To be fair, it looks like the right length and width that there could be something in there... I just can't tell for sure.So for now, I'm not going to include that on my list, until I can get something more solid.

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Does this one count?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35107

Yes, this one certainly would count, in my opinion. It is apparently owned by the owner of the M&H Railroad, so it seems like preservation of the artifact is in mind. However, it's status is generally comparable to many of the others, so I'll include it.

As a note, after the addition if 3 cars from this thread, I have down 13 carbodies in Pennsylvania. That's a lot! Apparently the electric systems in PA must have sold a lot of cars for adaptive reuse.

Thanks again,

Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:02 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
It's my understanding that they purchased the old North Shore car that was at ITM in Noblesville, with the idea of using that cars trucks for the 29. I think the museum is a project of the Grass Lake Historical Society. Been meaning to stop there on one of my trips to Ann Arbor, but haven't done it yet.

Les

Les,
The 154 was purchased from the Ohio Railway Museum by the Grass Lake Historical Society for parts. The last I heard, the North Shore car at ITM (172) was headed to a reputable organization with plans to preserve the car under a roof. I certainly hope plans haven't changed since then.
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:22 pm 

Lucas - Thanks very much for the correction. I certainly screwed up that information! Glad to hear that CNS&M #172 is being preserved.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:19 pm 

Hi...

Does anyone know what became of the double truck semi convertible car body that was listed in the Original Chicken Coop Project that was listed as being in Providence Forge, Virginia? Does anyone know if it still exists and where?

I'm involved with the "Streetcar 390 Project" and would like to locate the above car if it still exists and look at it. If it still exists while many parts might be gone it may have a few small parts we can use for 390.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:32 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
This one just turned up on Facebook--claimed to have collapsed a while back--not on the PNAERC database:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Quote:
So is this one in Uppe Michigan near Lake Linden. It was used as hunting shack and collapsed a few yrs ago. Houghton Co Traction Co motor coach #22 off Bootjack Rd.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:06 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
This one just turned up on Facebook--claimed to have collapsed a while back--not on the PNAERC database:

Given that it apparently collapsed, I won't include it on the list. It's still interesting, though, so I still appreciate you mentioning it!
Too bad that it collapsed, because the condition in the photo isn't even necessarily the worst compared to a few cars on my list: Lehigh Valley Transit 805 (Niles 1913 interurban) and Conestoga Traction ? (Brill 1906 Box Motor)are in equally bad if not worse shape.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:14 am 

As a side note, there's some very interesting, and sometimes plain weird, information on the original list compiled by Minnich. Some examples:
In Wilmington, CA: Pacific Electric Birney "On roof of garage"
In Rollinsville, CO: Denver streetcar "Front end smashed by boulder"
In Biloxi, MS: A single truck interurban!
In San Jose, CA: 1880s former New York Elevated trailer, "owner hostile"
I wish I could track down more of the cars on Minnich's list, but much of the info is incomplete and/or cryptic, and a large number of them are probably gone now anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:51 pm 

lmckay175 wrote:

I would like to see that! Haha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:53 am 

Quote:
Hi,

There are two Oklahoma Railway cars near Elk City Oklahoma. One is an old Rockford and Interurban car 301 The Kishwaukee that I am very much interested in.

I too find this car very interesting, as it was built for a line pretty close to where I live now. The street view link you included shows one car; I can't really find the other. Do you know which one is viewable? Based off of looks, I'm guessing the one that can be seen is the streetcar built for Oklahoma Railways. If so, It would be nice to get a photo of the R&I lightweight as well.

Last year I emailed the person that runs the website and they sent me a photo which I have since lost. The wood roof was heavily weathered but the metal seemed in good condition. The Interurban was said to be in worse condition.

Quote:
And there is a car-body in Huron Ohio that is turned into a house. "I found that in Christiansen’s “New Northern Ohio Interurbans”, on page 975, he lists B&S #23 at 318 Deerwood"

Looking at the street view for this, I can't really make out anything clear. To be fair, it looks like the right length and width that there could be something in there... I just can't tell for sure. So for now, I'm not going to include that on my list, until I can get something more solid.

Talk to the guy that owns this website, Drew. He's the one that has personal knowledge of people that have been inside of it.

http://www.lakeshorerailmaps.com

He's also sent me photos of two LSE interurbans in a barn on the West Side of Sandusky. The barn is visible from the road but you can't see in.

http://www.lakeshorerailmaps.com/lse/ea ... 201994.jpg

Quote:
Thanks again,

Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:25 pm 

I am not familiar with this list. Does he list these two carbodies on a farm in Alvarado, Texas:

https://goo.gl/maps/r19kWPkKe3A2

There are also a couple of old wooden boxcars and just a few years ago, a depot was moved to the farm and stabilized. The owner seems to be building his own museum of sorts.

Talk about a conicidence -- I lived just a few feet from an old carbody for a decade, and never knew it. It was part of a barn on a farm that basically wrapped around the home we were renting. There were also a couple of cotten gin engines stored under a shelter, and various junk cars scattered around the property.

The old man died about the time we moved out. Someone came along with the pretence of cleaning the property up. He piled most of the junk cars into a heap, and took away the gin engines. He also tore the barn apart, and that was when you would see the remains of the carbody. There is not even enough there to bother adding it to your list; just enough to tell what it was.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project - New Address!

International Stationary Steam Engine Society

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:53 pm 

CSontag wrote:
Talk to the guy that owns this website, Drew. He's the one that has personal knowledge of people that have been inside of it.

http://www.lakeshorerailmaps.com

He's also sent me photos of two LSE interurbans in a barn on the West Side of Sandusky. The barn is visible from the road but you can't see in.

Okay, I'll contact Drew about the car inside the house, as well as the box motors in Sandusky. Do you know what railroad B&S stands for, anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:56 pm 

survivingworldsteam wrote:
I am not familiar with this list. Does he list these two carbodies on a farm in Alvarado, Texas:

https://goo.gl/maps/r19kWPkKe3A2

Thanks for this information. Any idea on the identity of these two cars? I know there are supposed to be quite a few Dallas streetcar bodies scattered around Texas; could they be some of those?
Thanks,
Lucas
EDIT: After doing some quick research, it appears that the two streetcars are indeed Dallas cars, of a Stone & Webster design. I'm still looking for information, like on builder, fleet number, etc, but I'll add them to the list.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:05 pm 

lmckay175 wrote:
Do you know what railroad B&S stands for, anyway?
Try Barney & Smith Car Co. of Dayton, O.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:42 am 

Here is a link to the original list that Ben Minnich compiled:

http://www.erha.org/coop.htm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:54 am 

NS 3322 wrote:
lmckay175 wrote:
I would like to see that! Haha
I had forgotten about that one until I read the post. I recall hearing about the car and might have seen a picture -- now many, many, many years ago. My memory having been jogged, recalls that a railfan of sorts had acquired the car body and used it as a study or den or room for his railroad collection. No additional information.

50 years+ a member of Orange Empire.