It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Amtrak Surplus Rolling Stock Available, Incl. Last F40PH
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:56 pm 

RCD wrote:
So deals could be made for AEM7s even going to IRM despite them never running in that state but the for the locomotive that moved the nation no one could be bothered to save one?

I have a feeling that in a decade or two, once the historical value of the F40PH is fully realized, many railroad museums will be stalking all the F40PHs in service at various transit agencies, looking to acquire them. This is about what happened with all the EMD and Alco covered wagons in service with Metra, MARC, LIRR, etc...
As for IRM, you don't know any of the internal planning/happenings going on there, so I wouldn't criticize them too much. The AEM-7 was faced with imminent retirement and disposal, so one was acquired. On the other hand, there are plenty of F40PH locomotives currently in service on Metra just an hour away, including some former Amtrak ones. And they aren't being replaced very quickly. So IRM certainly has time to acquire one, while in the meantime focusing on more time-sensitive acquisitions. IRM certainly gets a lot of criticism, which I suppose is expected as the nation's largest rail museum.
Lucas

Post subject: Re: Amtrak Surplus Rolling Stock Available, Incl. Last F40PH
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:06 pm 

Rumor has it that all the F40 locomotives, Pacific Parlor cars, and Horizon cars on the sale list were sold to one party.