It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flat car; new touch of preservation in Wisconsin!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:04 pm 

Steam Locomotive Heritage Association, the organization that owns Soo Line 2-8-2 #1003 in Hartford, Wisconsin, recently acquired and restored Milwaukee Road flat car #57449. There are some photos of the car on their website, but I can't get individual photos separated to post here. Best I can do is post the following shot taken during the groups recent operations in southeastern Wisconsin in which they used the flat to deliver some Christmas Trees to the community of Elkhart Lake:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/678479/

I have no idea as to the age of MILW 57449. Perhaps someone can post a photo of the car itself which just might have the info painted as part of the cars lettering.

Les

Post subject: Re: Flat car; new touch of preservation in Wisconsin!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:16 am 

Found a couple of flat car photos taken by Jim Connor posted on a Facebook page. Did determine that the car came from the Wisconsin Southern where it apparently was in maintenance-of-way service and painted gray or possibly silver. The number 1 was on the car; possibly X1? Some shots of the flat after restoration appeared to show a BLT date of 6 30 and a REBLT date of 1 41. These were taken from an angle, so there is the possibility that I may not have those dates completely correct. There was also a question posed on that Facebook page as to whether MILW 57449 was really an ex-Milwaukee Road car or whether it was just so painted, but I didn't see that particular question answered.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:41 pm 

Les, maybe I'm dense but I don't see a flat car anywhere in the photo. (I'm sure the answer will be that I'm dense).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:48 pm 

Between the two cabooses. The flatcar has wood stakes on it.

Robert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:09 pm 

PMC wrote:
Les, maybe I'm dense but I don't see a flat car anywhere in the photo. (I'm sure the answer will be that I'm dense).

PMC -

If anyone is dense, it is me! I should have pointed out, as Robert (BigBoy 4023) did, that the car had wood stakes put in the pockets to keep the Christmas trees that were being delivered, in place.

I will try to be a bit more explicit, next time.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:59 am 

I think if one of us was shooting photos of the train that the freight cars would have been in the center of the frame, not to say that the steamer isn't a gem, but the freight cars are too. "Hey, you're blocking my shot of the flat car."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:27 pm 

PMC wrote:
"Hey, you're blocking my shot of the flat car."

PMC - I like your thinking!

I would really like to see a photo of the flat car by itself. A "roster" shot if you will. And some information on the car. Great if it actually IS an historic Milwaukee Road flat, but if not, what is its history? I'll keep checking the internet. Perhaps someone will post a photo there one day.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:51 pm 

Hello everyone- first time post from me though I've been lurking for a while.

I went to Plymouth to see Soo 1003 and was surprised to see the flatcar, MILW 57449, as part of the train. I was somewhat skeptical that it was truly of Milwaukee Road lineage until I got home and did some research. It appears this is a genuine Milwaukee flatcar that had been rebuilt for early piggyback service. Details such as the stake pockets, rivets and those oval holes match the photos of similar cars from the 57000-series in Morning Sun's Color Guide to Milwaukee Passenger & Freight Equipment Vol. 2.

Two photos are posted on my Flickr stream:
https://flic.kr/p/2aySx3d
https://flic.kr/p/2dksbdF

I've got more photos to upload including the other ex-Milwaukee freight car in the train.

Kevin Kassay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:33 pm 

Kevin -

Hallelujah for your two photos of MILW 57449! And also for the info that the car is genuine CMStP&P. Also, welcome to RyPN. Glad you finally changed from a "lurker" to a participant.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:21 am 

Hi All
I also found some information pertaining to the flat car my Official equipment railroad registry dealing with railroad equipment. In my April 1978 guide, it does show the group of flat cars, with a retractable fifth wheel for trailer train service.
Attachment:
File comment: From April 1978 guide
From Offical Railway Equipment Register April 1978 # 4.jpg
From Offical Railway Equipment Register April 1978 # 4.jpg [ 89.93 KiB | Viewed 5641 times ]
Attachment:
Official Railway equipment Register April 1978 #  5.jpg
Official Railway equipment Register April 1978 # 5.jpg [ 34.92 KiB | Viewed 5641 times ]
Attachment:
Official Railway equipment Register April 1978 #  6.jpg
Official Railway equipment Register April 1978 # 6.jpg [ 29.36 KiB | Viewed 5641 times ]