It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Disney World Railroad closes for 1-2 years.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:13 am 

Yeah it's funny how some people are. Disney's engines even properly fly green flags on the front, something that many tourist lines and museums can't seem to understand. I get it with some of the crown engines, they were built quite genetically specifically for theme parks. While they certainly count as "real" steam locomotives by definition. They are not historic. But with the Disney engines, Cedar Point, Knotts, Dollywood, Six Flags Texas, Tweetsie, etc. its a totally different story!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:49 am 

Steve DeGaetano wrote:
parktrains wrote:

Considering Magic Kingdom is the only place in the world where you can watch 4 nearly century old Baldwins (including a 4-4-0 that actually IS a century old) being worked like they were built to do, I was surprised how few railfans came out to document the closure.
It's hard for foam...I mean railfans, to accept park trains--no matter their lineage--as real steam locomotives. They're simply too shiny, or their crews are called "ride operators" and the like. "Real" steam engines have to be all black, except perhaps for smokebox and firebox, crews can only wear blue denim overalls--no stripes--and diesel can never be accepted as an authentic fuel.

The fact that more people today have had their only steam train experience behind a Disney locomotive--there are nine operational in this country, even more world-wide--than those who have ridden behind "real" steam, means nothing.

While yes they are in a park environment, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find engines that work as much or as hard as the engines at Dollywood and Tweetsie. A degree of expectations have to be checked at the door concerning the authenticity of appearances, but the steam is still real.

As for Disney, definitely awesome to see what they've got operating down there. You'd hope that the culture of "real steam" that Walt Disney believed in would be remembered when it comes to the future of the operation, although that might be too much to hope for.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:59 pm 

I was at the Magic Kingdom yesterday and was able to speak with one of the railroad's managers that happened to be on the platform. They have been told to expect to be down for roughly two years depending on how long construction on the Tron roller coaster takes. The Lilly Belle and part of a trainset will be kept at outside at Main Street Station. The maintenance team will fire her up regularly and move her around to keep her ready for when service resumes. There is a chance that the trains could be changed out if Lilly ends up needing maintenance work.

Steam service is NOT completely shutting down during the railroad's closure. They will continue to provide the behind the scenes tours and will have a train operating for that.

In terms of the other locomotives, the Walter E. Disney should be arriving back from Strasburg soon. Once it’s back and under steam for use during for the tours, the Roger Broggie will be sent for its overhaul followed shortly thereafter by the Roy O. Disney. Both should be back by the time the railroad reopens.

Austin Strenecky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:08 pm 

Totally agree with all the comments about the Disney World Railroad and backshop tour, which my son and I took back in 2010.

For steam fans, there is at least the steam powered riverboat still in operation. It is steam powered; though it follows an underwater track to make it easy for unskilled park operators to operate.

But what you won't be able to experience is this -- a whistle exchange between the Disney World Railroad and the steamboat.

https://www.facebook.com/james.hefner.7 ... 90/?type=3

Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project - New Address!

International Stationary Steam Engine Society