It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steam (returning or being restored) in 2019
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:36 pm 

Adding another engine to this list:
Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad #5.
It will be entering it's third year of restoration this year in Nevada City, CA. The 1960 "Quickfire" Dixon boiler installed by Universal Studios will be replaced with a replica boiler (and closer to the original) that was built for a sister Baldwin 2-6-0 locomotive, "Glenbrook." That Carson & Tahoe Flume & Lumber locomotive in Carson City has been restored with modern repairs to its existing boiler.
http://www.ncngrrmuseum.org/rolling-stock.html
http://www.rgusrail.com/cancngrm.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:52 pm 

Duluth & Northeastern 28 is in the final stages of some extensive running gear work and should be back in service this summer. During her stay in the shop, it was decided to give her a little bit of a facelift, and the shop crews decided a little fun while prepping was in order:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:29 pm 

I believe that Little River Railroad 4-6-2 # 110 is in the Shop this winter. Not sure if this is for the 1472 day rebuild or not.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:16 pm 

Coming in late - but still yet another to note:

Former New Hope and Ivyland 0-6-0 No. 9, aka; Virginia Blue Ridge No. 9, nee US Army No. 4023 built in 1942 is undergoing an extensive restoration to operation at the shops at SMS in Bridgeport, NJ. Once completed, the railroad hopes to use the locomotive to supplement its fleet used to switch cars in and around the facility.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/635780/

/Mitch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:20 pm 

Another not mentioned - albeit, a slow moving restoration to operation is:

Oregon Railroad & Navigation 4-6-2 No. 197
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/675094/

This handsome locomotive was built for the Oregon Railroad & Navigation Company in 1905 by Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia. No. 197 is currently undergoing a lengthy restoration to operation by a group named the "Friends of the OR&N 197". Additional information, including a link to make a donation can be found here:

http://www.orhf.org/oregon-rail-heritag ... s/orn-197/

/Mitch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:26 pm 

Let's not forget Everett Railroad's 2-8-0 #38, former Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain.

This engine was purchased at auction from the former Knox & Kane in 2008 and has a special place at Everett having originally operated on parts of Everett's ROW. The engine was initially shipped to the WMSR for restoration as time would permit but eventually found her way (by truck) to the Everett Railroad in Holidaysburg, PA in February of 2016. Seen here Holidaysburg, PA (near Altoona) in 2016:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/575304/

/Mitch

Don't know that we can include New Hope's stalled 4-8-4 Alco ex-NdeM No. 3028....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:16 am 

Clearly, there has been quite a few steam locomotives getting a lot of TLC as they move closer to operating under their own power again.

So, let's recap what has been stated so far. (Please correct me if I say something wrong.)

- UP 4-8-8-4 Big Boy #4014 is slated to return to operation before the 150th anniversary of the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad on May 10th (also marking the first time a Big Boy has moved under his own power in ~60 years). THE KING RETURNS!

- WMSR (C&O) 2-6-6-2 #1309 is making continued progress (despite a very rocky start) towards operation, and, hopefully, she'll be up and running in the near future. I hope to see her when she's running under her own power.

- AT&SF 4-8-4 #2926 is inching closer and closer to having her restoration finished. She will be quite a sight when she's finished up.

- B&M 4-6-2 #3713 is still being restored at Steamtown, and, with some luck, we will see her run under her own power in the not-so-distant future. I know she will look really nice, but, personally, I hope they install the "earmuffs" (small smoke deflectors) on her again at some point.

- RDG 4-8-4 #2100 is steadily getting closer and closer to finishing up her restoration, and what a sight she will be. It will be a truly wonderful day to see her in her former glory again.

- With J. Neils Lumber Company 3-truck Shay #5 now up and running, and Frisco 2-10-0 #1630 still operating well, UP 2-8-0 #428 can now get some more focused attention on her restoration. I think this ol' girl has been very patient, and, now, she's going to be getting a lot of TLC.

- Middletown & Hummelstown is continuing to restore CN 2-6-0 #91 as time and finances permit. It will be nice to see her up and running again.

- NC&StL 4-8-4 #576 has been moved out of the park, and it will soon begin the restoration towards its operation. I'm so glad that things are going so right for her, and what a beauty she will be when she's finished.

- Alaska RR 2-8-0 #557 is moving even closer towards operation. Best of luck, guys, and keep going strong.

- Maine Central 4-6-2 #470 is continuing to move along very nicely with her restoration. I can't even imagine how beautiful she will be once she is up and running.

- Middle Fork 3-truck Climax #9 is expected to be operational this year and slated to join in a "three-day rail heritage event on September 6 to 8, 2019" that celebrates both #9's return to operation and the completion of the Cass-Durbin line being rehabilitated. Way to go, Cass & D&GVR!

- Columbia River Belt Line 2-4-4-2 "Skookum" returned to service last year, and she is scheduled to participate in a charter in March. It's good to have you back, Skookum.

- GTW 2-8-2 #4070 continues to move along with her restoration. While she is still quite a ways from being finished, here's hoping it won't be too long before she's running down the rails again.

- It was just announced on New Year's Day that WK&S 0-6-0T #65 has been taken into the shop, and it appears that she is going to be restored back to operation. Congratulations, WK&S! I'm so glad you're bringing her back to steam.

- St. Louis Southwestern (Cotton Belt) 4-8-4 #819 is being discussed as being restored (very slowly) to operation as time, money, and volunteers allow. I do hope she is able to get up and running again in the future.

- Heber Valley Railroad (UP) 2-8-0 #618 is still moving along steadily with her restoration (as best as we know) as resources are available, and we are hopeful that it won't be too long before she returns. [Thanks burbri45]

- D&RGW 2-8-0 #223 has been in restoration for 20 years now. Her tender is basically complete (minus some miscellaneous components) and painted. At this point, the emphasis of the work will be on the locomotive (with the drivers & axles being the main goal for this year). [Thanks burbri45]

- C&NW 4-6-0 #1385 is getting a new boiler made in St. Louis (and that might be done this year). The running gear is all but done and may be finished soon. There will be a lot of work to be done to make the new boiler fit all the appliances and frame, but once the boiler is completed, that work should be able to begin. [Thanks John Risley]

- PRR 4-4-4-4 #5550 is still steadily being constructed. She is already around 30% complete. [Thanks NS6770fan]

- US Army/Navy S100 0-6-0T #5002 has begun her restoration at the shop of Brett Goertemoeller, owner of BMG Railroad Contractors, LLC. [Thanks airforcerail]

- N&W 4-8-0 #475 just started her 1472 SDI. She is scheduled to return to service by this fall. [Thanks Kelly Anderson]

- New Hope Valley 0-4-0T #17 should return to service later this year after being out of service for ~2 years while undergoing its mandated FRA work. [Thanks Evan]

- Jones and Laughlin Steel 0-4-0T #58 had a successful steam test of the boiler recently before everything was drained and winterized. Work will continue over the winter and, hopefully, #58 should be operating under her own power by May. [Thanks Rick Rowlands]

- NP 0-6-0 #924 is progressing along steadily at the Northwest Railway Museum. [Thanks o anderson]

- WP 0-6-0 #165 has its tender completed, and the boiler repairs are getting close to being completed at the Portola Railway Museum. [Thanks o anderson]

- RGS 4-6-0 #20 is likely to leave the Strasburg shops this year and return to the Colorado Railroad Museum for final assembly and restoration tasks. [Thanks o anderson]

- D&RG 4-6-0 #168 is proceeding along smoothly to operational condition at the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad shops in Antonito. [Thanks o anderson]

- WW&F 0-4-4T #10's new boiler should be completed and installed by the end of 2019. [Thanks elecuyer]

- Florida East Coast 4-6-2 #148 has undergone a lot of serious work by U.S. Sugar in their shop down in Florida. It is wonderful to see this ol' girl getting this much long overdue TLC. She should be absolutely gorgeous when she is finished up. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- NP 4-6-0 #1364 has also been receiving some work up at Toppenish, Washington. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- Santa Maria Valley 2-8-2 #21 appears (based off of their website) to be progressing along nicely in her restoration in Astoria, Oregon. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- Georgetown Loop 2-8-0 #40 should be back in service in Silver Plume sometime in 2019. [Thanks Tails]

- U. S. Army / Virginia Blue Ridge Ry. / Morris County Central RR 0-6-0 #4039 (VBR #5) is also making progress. The new boiler is almost completed over in Colorado, and the boiler tubes were shipped from Whippany to Colorado a couple of months ago. The original plans were to install them once the boiler was shipped to Whippany and mounted on the frame, but that changed this past year. A new cab has been constructed, and the tender has been completely rebuilt, along with all the appliances. Once the new (welded) boiler is mounted, the final assembly can take place. [Thanks Al Holleuffer] (P.S. How have things been? I haven't heard from you in a few years.)

- C&NW 4-6-0 #175 has already begun to receive some serious work from SRI. She will be a very nice addition for them when all is said and done. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- WP&Y 2-8-2 #73's boiler is in Toutle, WA, and it is scheduled to be returned this year for reassembly. [Thanks scwillis51]

- WP&Y 2-8-0 #69 might also be running this year (for the first time since 2013). [Thanks JohnHillier]

- Sierra Railway 2-8-0 #28, based off of their FB page, should be getting very close to being ready to run again. [Thanks o484]

- San Antonio & Aransas Pass 4-4-0 #60 is about ready to have its boiler ultrasounded, and, apparently, G&O owner Pete Clausen wants them to get started on W&L #203 as well. [Thanks southern154]

- Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad 2-6-0 #5 is entering its third year of restoration in Nevada City, CA. The 1960 "Quickfire" Dixon boiler installed by Universal Studios will be replaced with a replica boiler (and closer to the original) that was built for a sister Baldwin 2-6-0 locomotive, "Glenbrook." The Carson & Tahoe Flume & Lumber locomotive in Carson City has been restored with modern repairs to its existing boiler. [Thanks o anderson]

- Duluth & Northeastern 2-8-0 #28 is in the final stages of some extensive running gear work and should be back in service this summer (with a little 'facelift'). [Thanks The Fireman]

- Little River Railroad 4-6-2 #110 is in the shop this winter. It is uncertain if this is for the 1472 day rebuild or not. [Thanks Les Beckman]

- US Army #4023 / Virginia Blue Ridge #9 / New Hope and Ivyland 0-6-0 #9 is still undergoing an extensive operational restoration at the SMS shops in Bridgeport, NJ. Once it is completed, the railroad plans to use the locomotive to supplement its diesel fleet used to switch cars in and around the facility. [Thanks Mgoldman]

- Oregon Railroad & Navigation 4-6-2 #197 is slowly, but steadily, undergoing a lengthy operational restoration by a group named the "Friends of the OR&N 197". [Thanks Mgoldman]

I know that Reading & Northern is still working on RDG 4-8-4 #2102, AoSR is continuing to work on their locomotives, and the Everett Railroad has ideas for Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain 2-8-0 #38, but I don't have a clear idea on where they stand with their projects at this time.

What a difference thus far. What started as a list of 14 steam locomotives under restoration to operation has grown to 42 locomotives (3x the original starting number). This is truly amazing, and it really brings a smile to my face to see so much steam moving towards operation again.

If there are any other steam locomotives starting (or still undergoing) an operational restoration, please feel free to list which locomotive it is (and roughly where things stand, if you know). Likewise, if you know any additional details (that can be shared) for any of the locomotives already mentioned, please feel free to inform us. We could always use more good news in regards to steam.

{Lastly, while it isn't currently being restored, U.S. Army / TVRM #610 was pushed into the shops around September last year for evaluation on the feasibility of possibly restoring her again. I'll guess we'll see what happens.}

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:24 am 

819 can be safely removed from this list.

The extent of the 819 group's "plan" so far seems to be making a facebook post once a month saying "we need money and volunteers!" and maybe posting a picture of a rod being polished.

They have given absolutely no details about a proposed path forward, scope of work, amount of money needed, fundraising strategy, potential timelines and milestones, cars to pull, and of course, a place to run.

Until they can come up with even cursory information regarding these items, I am extremely skeptical 819 will run again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:49 pm 

Mgoldman wrote:
Don't know that we can include New Hope's stalled 4-8-4 Alco ex-NdeM No. 3028....

Zero work has been done to 3028 for at least the last five years.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:02 pm 

One other project than can be added is White Pass & Yukon Route #61 this is a outside-frame 2-8-0 that once was in the Skagway River as rip-rap. The current owner is Stathi Pappas and his Stockton Locomotive Works. He is slowly working on this project as time is available -- Stathi is project manager and leadman for the C&TS restoration of D&RG #168 in Antonito, Colorado. His Stockton Locomotive has its own separate machine shop in Antonito.

Ultrasound of the boiler shell is good. Driver bearing surfaces, etc. being faced off. Frame may come into the shop this year
More information can be found here: Stockton Locomotive Works on Facebook

Last edited by Brian Norden on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:02 pm 

I don't think K-37 493 at Durango & Silverton has been mentioned.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:28 pm 

frisco1630 wrote:
819 can be safely removed from this list.

The extent of the 819 group's "plan" so far seems to be making a facebook post once a month saying "we need money and volunteers!" and maybe posting a picture of a rod being polished.

They have given absolutely no details about a proposed path forward, scope of work, amount of money needed, fundraising strategy, potential timelines and milestones, cars to pull, and of course, a place to run.

Until they can come up with even cursory information regarding these items, I am extremely skeptical 819 will run again.

frisco1630 -

I may have this wrong, so please correct me as necessary, but I seem to recall that the Arkansas Railroad Museum (Cotton Belt Railway Historical Society) was considering trying to restore the OTHER surviving StLSW steamer; 2-6-0 #336. This would have given them a locomotive they could have used around their museum complex. I checked their website but saw nothing about such an effort, so perhaps I am in error.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:16 pm 

And... let's not forget the built from scratch V&T 2-6-0 Lyon replica:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category ... 396092936/

"The V & T Lyon is a full size standard gauge wood burning replica steam locomotive being built by the Mason City & Clear Lake Electric Railroad Electric Railroad Historical Society."

The V & T Lyon accepts donations mailed to
V & T Lyon
3429 Main Ave
Clear Lake, Iowa 50428

/Mitch

Attachments:
VT Lyon.jpg
VT Lyon.jpg [ 301.52 KiB | Viewed 6600 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:45 am 

The Austin Steam Train Association continues to make slow, but steady, progress in restoring their Southern Pacific Class Mk-5 2-8-2 number 786 to service. The Strasburg shop has done some past work for the group.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:58 pm 

I think it’s fair to say that 2019 is going to be a big year for rail preservation. There isn’t many years prior where so much has been going on and so many opportunities presented themselves. If this continues I would not exaggerate to say that US rail preservation may be on its way to what great Britain has which is wonderful for those who like vintage rail equipment and more active in restoring it. Let’s keep the momentum moving guys great work and keep it up

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next