It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Steam (returning or being restored) in 2019
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:04 am 

SteamEnthusiast4000 wrote:

Also, I remembered that there is another locomotive being restored in 2019. Does anyone have any specifics on how the restoration of Weyerhaeuser Timber Co. 2-6-6-2T No. 108 is going over at the Black Hills Central Railroad?

I was there this summer and was told work is done as time permits. They have two other steamers plus rolling stock l, and no dedicated shop employees - people in the shop are the same ones running the trains. They did post a video in December of them riveting the throat sheet. https://youtu.be/ifNzLRJfe7w

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:30 am 

Does the little green tank engine still operate at Black Hills? I thought they were down to just the mallet these days based on their operating schedule having diesel operate one week a month consistent with a boiler wash schedule.

On my visit to black hills I got super lucky and was riding on the last day the articulated was running and they were firing up the tank engine for following day. Naturally I made sure to come back for a ride behind her as well!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:39 pm 

They typically have that one in use during the mid-week and beginning and end of the tourist season when business isn't super busy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:44 am 

An article from Trains released yesterday gives us a better idea of how Reading 4-8-4 #2100's restoration is progressing. I'm very happy that her next lease on life looks this good. I hope to see her in action when she is up and running.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... e9QZXq9dNo

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7