It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chris Allen died last Saturday
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:44 pm 

Chris was very involved at the early days of volunteer restoration work at Spencer Shops, back in the day when we pooled our pocket change and sent young Donny across the street to the hardware store when we needed a gallon of paint....... worked with me on the restoration of Charlotte Trolley car 85, and stayed with Charlotte Trolley for a couple decades after I moved on out west. He was most recently working on the Belmont Trolley project in restoration work on the Oporto car. His profession was in technical production in the film industry, worked freelancing out of a little basement hole under a plumbing supply in West Charlotte for a very long time. He was my first choice for a right-hand guy who could find a way to get anything done under just about any circumstances, after explaining all the reasons what we needed to do was impossible and couldn't be done. What he found really impossible was the interference of politics into ongoing work, its pernicious influence preventing progress and requiring being worked around, at which he was also a master.

Damn, it's getting lonely out here. Survived by his wife Jo and stepson. No word yet as to funerary arrangements.

Post subject: Re: Chris Allen died last Saturday
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:54 pm 

Damn--- technically competent and most of all, a great guy to work with and talk too. I will miss him coming to the museum and our train shows and shooting the breeze for hours...

Dave- PM me when you find out what the arrangements are. I can't find any obituary online.

Thanks

Matt Bumgarner
Alexander Chapter NRHS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:20 pm 

So sad to hear it, Dave. I remember Chris fondly from my days volunteering at the NC Transportation Museum. Not just competent, but one of the funniest guys I ever met. Haven’t seen him in years (moved to Atlanta in 1996), but what a great guy he was.

Gone too soon. Do keep us posted and share an obit when published, please sir.

—Jackson McQuigg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:18 pm 

Visitation tomorrow 1700-1900 , Hankins and Whittington, 1111 East Boulevard, Charlotte.