It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Georgetown Loop in 2019?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:21 pm 

I believe this is the year that Midwestern Shay #9 and the Georgetown Loop #12 are to be swapped back correct?

And also Georgetown Loop #40 is said to be returning to Georgetown from Colorado Railroad Museum.

So does that mean that #40, #12, and #111 will be in Georgetown? Or are there other plans for #12, since I think she wasn't powerful enough for Georgetown and that's why the trade with Shay #9 happened in the first place.

Just curious as to what the plans might be, as I haven't heard much.

Post subject: Re: Georgetown Loop in 2019?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:58 pm 

Which Georgetown loop 12?

The shay was (once firebox problems sorted) a very reliable and strong performer, the rod engine had adequate power but not enough robustness.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:12 pm 

Georgetown Loop #12, the Hiwaiian engine, has been at Midwest central Railroad in Iowa as part of a trade with the Shay (which is owned by Midwest Central). This is the year that the original agreement is up and the Midwest Railroads Facebook celebrates the “farewell” run of the #12 at the end of this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:35 pm 

Shame it isn't Georgetown Loop 12 the Shay then. She didn't even breathe hard with 8 cars. The Hula Girl sort of shook herself apart...…… but I don't know what work was done so perhaps she'll be more robust now. Either way it's a great steam show.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:15 pm 

40 was returned to the loop in 2017, being undergoing work since. From what I've heard it should be done this year. 40, 111, and 12 will make a nice looking set of engines

12s issue wasn't that she was a bad engine....just too small to be the only engine. With 111 and 40 as primary power, 12 can be on backup and extra train duty. So she has a role to fill....just not as the only steam engine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:59 pm 

Thanks Tails. I had heard bits and pieces but wasn’t totally sure what was happening. Hopefully I’ll get back out there this year. Last time i was there was mid-swap as #12 was peeking out of the engine house but I rode behind Shay #9.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:58 am 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
I believe this is the year that Midwestern Shay #9 and the Georgetown Loop #12 are to be swapped back correct?

And also Georgetown Loop #40 is said to be returning to Georgetown from Colorado Railroad Museum.

So does that mean that #40, #12, and #111 will be in Georgetown? Or are there other plans for #12, since I think she wasn't powerful enough for Georgetown and that's why the trade with Shay #9 happened in the first place.

Just curious as to what the plans might be, as I haven't heard much.

I just so happened to get a reply from one of the workers on my You tube channel concerning this very topic. Here is what William Gant said about it

"Seeing as I work at the Loop, let me explain. In 2010, 12 was the only steam engine, 111 was still years from completion following a botched attempt at restoration. 9 was an operating engine that could pull 9 cars without a helper, an Ideal trade, but not Form 4 Compliant. However, 9 needed more boiler work then expected, so it didn't run in 2011, and was not ready till 2012. 12 is still a great engine for the loop. Its great for early season, late season, second sections, and as a helper. But for every day service and as the only operating steam engine, yes, she is too small.

Once 9 was running, 12 went to Iowa, and work started on 111, which entered service in 2016. For years 9 was the only engine, which was hard, when she broke down, and for boiler washes, but we didn't need a helper engineer, so that was a bit better. Since then, 111 is the main engine. But we can't just have one engine, so the 9 has been playing backup duty. With only a few exceptions, we have run a steam engine every day between June and October since 2017.

40 was acquired in 2017, and work has been ongoing. 40 is getting a full restoration, everything on her is being looked at, fixed, or modified to make her a better engine. She has not seen this level of attention since she was in Durango in 1990, and not this level of boiler work since she was at the IRCA. Once 40 is running, that gives to loop 2 main engines that can haul almost every normal train, and a backup (12), which can act as a helper (40 is smaller then 111 after all) and for second section duty (during the heavy summer and fall days, we run 2 trains a day, second train is about 5 cars).

So yes, 12 is small, but she is still a perfect fit for what the Loop needs. She has a purpose to serve. She could act as a second section engine, or as a helper for 40 on heavier days when 111 is down (111 is big enough to handle any train we run). Ideally, another engine would be great, but 3 is a really good place to be. 12 is a great little engine.

I'm one of the few people at the Loop that worked on her before her departure to Iowa. She was my first in many things. First engine I ever maintained, first engine I ever fired, First I ever ran. She is much loved at the Loop, and while we are all excited to see her come home, its even better knowing she is going to come home, get some things fixed that needed to be fixed before she left, and have a purpose to serve once she is back on the rails. She may be small, but believe me, she is right at homing climbing mountains.".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:59 am 

Wow! That’s great news. It sounds like Georgetown Loop is in really great hands with management that is committed to steam. Love it.

The #12 was fun to see in Iowa a couple years ago, I’m sure it’s fun to hear her really work at the loop.

Can’t wait to get out there again and see some new to me locomotives.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:29 pm 

Spend a day at Georgetown Loop and you'll see a lot of intensive mountain railroading in digestible bite-size doses in a location convenient to Denver and with a lot of other amenities for tourists nearby. If more than one locomotive is in steam on a given day, even better..…… if you get a snowy day or a night run, even better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:36 am 

Way back in 08 when I was there,we started talking to the owners of the 9 about a trade for the 12...the idea was for it to be a permanent trade not a trade/lease/return deal...too bad they didn't ultimately work it out that way...as the 12 was much better suited to the Iowa operation than the loop...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:31 pm 

One can only assume the leaders of both organizations know far more about why the deal didn't go though, but I'd be willing to bet they will never discuss details. As stated by me and the worker quoted on YouTube, I don't think 12 being small is as big a problem as it was in 08 or 2010 and 2011, simply because 12 is no longer the primary/only power at the loop. With 2 other larger engines, the need for the 12 Becomes less, meaning she can be used when smaller trains are needed. I'd assume she uses Less fuel and water then 111 and 40

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:18 pm 

I had always thought whatever agreement that was made would be extended since Midwest Central doesn't really need a powerful Shay (nor does it look exactly right with their operation), and the Shay can pull anything Georgetown Loop would ever want.

But I can also imagine Midwest Central wanted to keep what was there's to begin with. I'm sure they put in alot of time and money into the Shay and didn't want her to leave for good. It's also possible that the Georgetown Loop operation would prefer all rod engines for one reason or the other.

I'm glad I got to see each engine when they were swapped, and looking forward to seeing them both back at their homes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:56 pm 

What happened to Shay #12? I have photos of it from a trip west in 1994.

Attachments:
194b2190.jpg
194b2190.jpg [ 82.25 KiB | Viewed 10576 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:59 pm 

To the best of my knowledge, ex-Westside Lumber, ex-Georgetown Loop Shay #12 remains in storage at the Colorado RR Museum in Golden, CO>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:07 pm 

I think the shay #12 was probably part of the group of equipment that's been for sale on Ozark for some time now....should be the remaining cars and locos from the Ashbys operation.... The seller wanted a lot of $ for the locos.... The 40 has since gone back to the loop, but the 44 and the shay...#8 or #12?... haven't yet....