It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Arizona State RR Museum Receives Magma Arizona RS3
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:31 am 

She's on the defunct New River Scenic in Southern colors. Was used on tourist trains, but I believe hasn't ran in a number of years due to mechanical troubles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:35 pm 

Last edited by Robert J on Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:06 am 

Seeing an image of that Baldwin RS sitting unattended in Superior causes me to wonder just how long it will take for her to really start to show signs of decay & damage from vagrants.

There just isn't enough money and volunteers to take care of everything, but the U.S. has done pretty well overall.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:12 am 

One museum that could benefit from acquiring an operable/restorable Baldwin switcher, is the California State Railroad Museum for its Jamestown/Sierra Railroad complex. These engines were important to the operation of the shortline, and at the time I was there, it appeared that any existing units were not going to be placed within the museum complex.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:33 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
tom moungovan wrote:
Seeing an image of that Baldwin RS sitting unattended in Superior causes me to wonder just how long it will take for her to really start to show signs of decay & damage from vagrants.

Historically, the biggest threat to semi-abandoned rolling stock in the remote Southwest is sunburn, not rust or vandalism. Granted, Superior isn't THAT far from the Phoenix metropolitan area, but Arizona was home to some of the last truly "abandoned" steam locos in North America, a gaggle of 0-4-0s around the Clifton/Morenci area left for literally decades on mountainsides near abandoned copper mines, most of which have now been relocated to museums or displays closer to "civilization"..........

Add in a location on somewhat "secure" installation with perimeter fences, gatehouses, and perimeter guard roads, I'm not exactly worried about its present storage situation.