It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GE 25 Ton Switcher: Injector Pump Diagram Needed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:58 pm 

Hi all,

In search of an injector pump diagram/manual for a 1952 GE 25 ton switcher. The switcher is a two axle equipped with a single 150 hp 6 cyl Cummins HBI diesel engine.

Any and all information on this type of engine/injector pump would be appreciated. The engine has run in the recent past, but now will not take fuel even by means of the manual primer built into the injector pump and it appears the flow of fuel is blocked internally. Information on priming the injector pump would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice and information,

Matt

Post subject: Re: GE 25 Ton Switcher: Injector Pump Diagram Needed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:13 pm 

We have a 23 ton GE with a Cummins engine. There is a cutoff valve at the input ro the pump that can be turned on manually or electrically.
I have a photo of it, but the file is too large to post here. e-mail me at highlandpark@mindspring.com and I will send it to you.
I have attached the story of our engine. It is a 1941 23 ton switcher, but the engine and generator were updated in the early 70's. We are trying to get the engine running, but have a way to go.

Attachments:
GE 23 TON SWITCH ENGINE STORY.pdf [267.2 KiB]
Downloaded 344 times

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:44 pm 

I would suggest removing the pump and having it rebuilt. I think you will find it's not too expensive at all, and it does require specialized tools and a -very- clean environment. They do NOT have to be timed, just bolt on and go.

To know what manual you need, we would need to know what pump you have. does it have the letters PT on the side? If not, send a pic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:23 pm 

Assuming it has a Cummins PT fuel pump; it likely has an electric solenoid as a "fuel cut off" on the pump. Often wired to a "engine stop/start" switch.

For lack of having a photo handy... as labeled "shutdown valve"

http://constructionmanuals.tpub.com/142 ... mp-190.htm

With power applied a small ~1" disk is lifted by the solenoid allowing fuel to exit the pump to the injectors. Its possibly just giving it a "tap" will get it to engage... but it might just be dead. iirc, it could get stuck in an open position; which might complicate getting the engine to stop though :/ You could try removing the solenoid and checking that out without running the entire system.

Otherwise looking for a rebuild shop is a good option.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:24 am 

there is a mechanical shutdown valve option for PT pumps, cable operated.

Some of the old units may still have a 'single disk' or 'double disk' pump as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:29 pm 

One thing to try before pulling the pump is ATF. Fill all your filters with multi purpose transmission fluid (dexron/mercon, don't use synthetic). Pull the fuel suction line (from the filter to the pump) at the filter. Fill that hose with ATF, let it settle, and top it off a few more times. Hook that hose back up and attempt to crank it up. This has worked many times for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:29 pm 

boblenon wrote:
Assuming it has a Cummins PT fuel pump; it likely has an electric solenoid as a "fuel cut off" on the pump. Often wired to a "engine stop/start" switch

My apologies for the lack of image, I am trying to get the picture to post but it does not seem to want to upload.

The injector is not a PT injector pump. I believe it is a single or double disk injector pump with a mechanical shutoff.

Will keep attempting to get a picture uploaded.

Thanks,
Matt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:31 pm 

Matt,

you just reminded me to dig through my stuff for the manual for that locomotive. I'll have to find it and see if it mentions anything.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:09 am 

Matthew S wrote:
Will keep attempting to get a picture uploaded.

One can short-circuit that size requirement by uploading the full-size image to a free photo host (I prefer http://www.Postimage.org ), and then copying one of the links they provide to the image, and then posting that image link here. That might sound complicated, but its not once you have done it a couple of times. A bonus to this option is that the full resolution (original size) image is optionally available just a click away to see detail that might be obscured in a lesser resolution.

Also, a free online photo/image resize utility is an alternative. One I use is: http://www.picresize.com/
Upload your photo, select the size you want, and download the reduced photo.

Or you can email me the photo, and I will post it to this thread on your behalf using Postimage.org. Send me a Private Message with your email address, I will respond and then you can forward the photo file via email attachment. This link should bring up a PM form pre-addressed to me: ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=31492