It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: J&L 58 Nearing Completion
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:58 am 

It has been an interesting four years of work which will soon culminate in the completion of restoration of the J&L 58. We did a test fire last fall and as soon as the weather breaks we will do another hydro for the state inspector, then start the final reassembly of the locomotive. Cylinders still need blown out then the rods and motion work put on for the final time. Checking the valve timing will then take place followed by installation of the cab and saddle tank.

We will be holding our first public event on May 11 and barring any unforseen problems, the J&L 58 will make her debut that day.

After the May event our attention will then focus on building track so that the 58 has room to stretch her legs!

Attachments:
2017-09-20 18.31.51 small.jpg
2017-09-20 18.31.51 small.jpg [ 109.25 KiB | Viewed 8868 times ]

Post subject: Re: J&L 58 Nearing Completion
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:21 am 

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:51 am 

A real joy to share with the restoration community.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:59 am 

Good Luck! May you be blessed with dry rails and good running.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:11 pm 

So glad you took an interest in so much of this equipment Rick. I know you are not a one man show but seem to be the catalyst for a lot of these projects? So glad someone stepped up to the challenge. Tip of the hat to you and your fellow crew members. The sight of that slug of a locomotive leaves me speechless. Like a bulldog, ya gotta look deeper. Congrats on all your progress. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:27 pm 

fantastic job! glad to see a piece of of railroading and steel history preserved. I just read where another part of the former Weirton Steel Mill is being demolished.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:44 pm 

Rick,
Your perseverance and your success as an industrial heritage organization is impressive. I hope to have as much good fortune as you have found. Congratulations on nearing your milestone! I am looking forward to one day riding your industrial railway.
Olin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:47 pm 

I have been following this restoration since day one and am very impressed by how quickly and well this project is coming along! Looking forward to seeing it in person some day.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:07 pm 

o anderson wrote:
Rick,
Your perseverance and your success as an industrial heritage organization is impressive. I hope to have as much good fortune as you have found. Congratulations on nearing your milestone! I am looking forward to one day riding your industrial railway.
Olin

Thanks!

I see from another thread that you would like to do something with the Anacortes railway equipment. One of the things that I have always tried to maintain is control over what we do here. All of our operations are on property that we own and while it may not be the best location, at least some third party who doesn't have the passion for steam can't come in and take it away. I wish you much luck and hopefully someday the Anacortes can come back to life running over its own dedicated right of way.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:14 pm 

I am glad that this stuff is appreciated. I have never even worked on a steam locomotive before starting the 58 project, although I have been playing with a giant stationary steam engine for two decades now. I learned all that I could learn, read as many books as
I could find, followed the advice of those who have done it, always paid attention to how other steam locomotives are put together and just applied all of that to this project.

Taking a solid piece of rust and making it come alive again is immensely satisfying!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:19 pm 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
Congratulations, Rick! This is great news, and an inspiration to us all. I hope to get out to Youngstown to visit you and see No. 58 in person before too long.

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:13 pm 

Brother Rowlands,

CONGRATULATIONS and Mucho Bueno Sabor !!! I would have to say that it is some kind of wonderful that you took an interest in, and followed through on it, by rescuing one of the orphans from Crown Metalworks. These were engines nobody wanted, but nobody had the heart to cut up....

Looks really sharp with that hot metal car spotted behind her. Hope I get to see her someday.

VIVA J&L #58 !!!!

Sammy King

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:58 pm 

Rick Rowlands wrote:

One of the things that I have always tried to maintain is control over what we do here. All of our operations are on property that we own and while it may not be the best location, at least some third party who doesn't have the passion for steam can't come in and take it away. .

Amen to that!

and

Congrats!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:57 am 

Congratulations, Rick! I’ve been following this project closely ever since your first few YouTube videos of you rolling 58 around your grounds. It has definitely been amazing to watch it all unfold. If I lived a little closer, I would have lent a hand!

And I have to give you props for keeping your operations on property you own, as stated. Too many organizations are getting kicked out of land that they have agreements to operate on and don’t own.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:25 pm 

This has been a fascinating restoration to follow, and it's such an interesting locomotive. Narrow gauge 0-4-0T with roller bearing axles (!) and it's crazy heavy.

Congratulations on getting it done.